lulz ABPN certificate ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has the wrong degree listed on it. I'm not sure how this happened, and when I double checked my physician folio it also has the wrong degree listed. I recall that part of the folio is created for us, so somebody messed up somewhere.

Is this a huge deal, or just a matter of updating the information? I don't particularly want it to be invalid.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I assume this is a BC that says MD instead of DO? It is likely this was put in wrong on preCERT (the ABPN) directly by your adult program, or it was uploaded incorrectly from the census track and has been wrong in both. If it is the preCERT and you are now in a child program, but it was the adult program who did it wrong, your current program will have to change it unless they “release you” to the old program and the “recapture you” after it is fixed. Your program will probably have to call the ABPN because only one program can edit these things at a time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. I'm a 3/2 so it was the fellowship that did it all, I think. Shouldn't be too difficult to correct. Any idea if they will charge to issue a correct certificate?

What if you've already graduated the adult program? Same thing happened to a colleague, who has long since moved.

Unless they want you to apply and complete 4 years of medical school, I have to believe they will change it.

imo all these psychiatrists who are involved in any way with board certification process, maintenance, etc need to be treated as scabs and publically and professionally shunned/ostracized. They may be decent people deep down, but they are profiting and working with a known scam. I really don't see how an ethical/honest person could participate in such a scam. Just one guys opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
I guessing, but I think Vistaril isn't board certified. I'm teasing you Vistaril, but I do agree with you this time. I'll give you my money, and I'll take your tests, but my gosh this is getting not worth it.

I guessing, but I think Vistaril isn't board certified. I'm teasing you Vistaril, but I do agree with you this time. I'll give you my money, and I'll take your tests, but my gosh this is getting not worth it.

The wording has changed, and at the end of all the fluff it reads, "Contingent upon meeting MOC requirements". If I was a lay person and saw that, I would wonder if the certificate even meant anything as I would be under the impression there was something that had yet to be completed.

Whether or not I'm board certified has nothing to do with my feelings....I felt this way as a medical student(when the fees were outrageous then), I feel this way now, and I'll feel this way if I'm still alive in 30 years. Anyone involved with such a ridiculous money grab in any way should be ashamed of themselves.

He doesn't have to be BC to be right (I totally agree with him). Most of those I trained with are looking at switching to the alternative certification organization mentioned in other threads.

I am not, nor will I ever be BC. I'm ok with that decision. I wish more people could get themselves out of being scammed like that, but unfortunately for the majority of our Psychiatry comrades, they won't be able to and sustain a career.

March 24, 2015
Dear Diplomates:
As you may know, the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) is a member of a collective group of specialty boards that work with the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) to implement standards for physician credentials. ABMS plays an important role, serving the medical profession by setting overall standards for Board Certification and Maintenance of Certification (MOC) processes. These standards help us all ensure that the Board Certification credential is and remains relevant and meaningful to our profession and to the day-to-day practices of our diplomates.
In the last few weeks, there has been a significant increase in physician conversation about ABMS MOC processes. Following my letter of February 10, 2015, the ABPN has received feedback about MOC from a number of diplomates and professional organizations, including the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) and the American Psychiatric Association (APA). Much of the feedback we have received centers around Part IV of MOC. While the AAN and the APA both endorse the concept of “quality improvement” in MOC, those organizations and others have asked the ABPN to advocate within the ABMS for the elimination of Part IV. The ABPN believes strongly that it is bound to follow the ABMS MOC Standards. On its own, the ABPN does not have the authority to eliminate any Part of MOC without risking censure by the ABMS and jeopardizing the value of our diplomates’ certificates. That said, we have advocated vigorously within the ABMS for MOC Standards that are as reasonable and flexible as possible. By permitting diplomates themselves to choose the products they complete for self-assessment, CME, and PIP activities, we have tried to make our MOC requirements relevant and meaningful.
ABMS has asked us to share with you the attached letter from its president and chief executive officer, Dr. Lois Margaret Nora. In that letter, you will note that the ABMS “remains fully committed to all elements of MOC.” Based upon the feedback we have received from the AAN and the APA, the ABPN has respectfully asked the ABMS to consider modifying its 2015 MOC Standards so that Part IV is an optional component of MOC. Unless and until that happens, however, the ABPN will continue to follow the ABMS MOC Standards and require participating diplomates to complete all four Parts of
MOC. As in the past, the ABPN welcomes any constructive suggestions diplomates or professional organizations have about ways in which we might improve any part of our MOC Program that are consistent with the ABMS MOC Standards.
If you have any questions regarding the ABPN MOC process, please contact us at [email protected].
Best regards,
Larry R. Faulkner, M.D.

Do you know how you can vote to change/eliminate many of these MOC requirements? Don't become ABPN board-certified, don't pay the fees. In the end money rules all, right? Although I think this is easier said than done.

I still haven't heard a legitimate justification for the added expenses and extra hoop jumping for MOC.

I'm reminded of how Joint Commission comes around with their rules and reg's under the auspice of 'improved care'.

Last edited:
I still haven't heard a legitimate justification for the added expenses and extra hoop jumping for MOC.

I'm reminded of how Joint Commission comes around with their rules and reg's under the auspice of 'improved care'.

Rhetorically it makes for a great argument that makes it easy to vilify opposition, especially when it comes to people that have little insight into how things actually work.

Rhetorically it makes for a great argument that makes it easy to vilify opposition, especially when it comes to people that have little insight into how things actually work.

All I hear is that it creates better standards for better care. What is the definition of 'better'?

March 24, 2015
Dear Diplomates:
As you may know, the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) is a member of a collective group of specialty boards that work with the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) to implement standards for physician credentials. ABMS plays an important role, serving the medical profession by setting overall standards for Board Certification and Maintenance of Certification (MOC) processes. These standards help us all ensure that the Board Certification credential is and remains relevant and meaningful to our profession and to the day-to-day practices of our diplomates.
In the last few weeks, there has been a significant increase in physician conversation about ABMS MOC processes. Following my letter of February 10, 2015, the ABPN has received feedback about MOC from a number of diplomates and professional organizations, including the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) and the American Psychiatric Association (APA). Much of the feedback we have received centers around Part IV of MOC. While the AAN and the APA both endorse the concept of “quality improvement” in MOC, those organizations and others have asked the ABPN to advocate within the ABMS for the elimination of Part IV. The ABPN believes strongly that it is bound to follow the ABMS MOC Standards. On its own, the ABPN does not have the authority to eliminate any Part of MOC without risking censure by the ABMS and jeopardizing the value of our diplomates’ certificates. That said, we have advocated vigorously within the ABMS for MOC Standards that are as reasonable and flexible as possible. By permitting diplomates themselves to choose the products they complete for self-assessment, CME, and PIP activities, we have tried to make our MOC requirements relevant and meaningful.
ABMS has asked us to share with you the attached letter from its president and chief executive officer, Dr. Lois Margaret Nora. In that letter, you will note that the ABMS “remains fully committed to all elements of MOC.” Based upon the feedback we have received from the AAN and the APA, the ABPN has respectfully asked the ABMS to consider modifying its 2015 MOC Standards so that Part IV is an optional component of MOC. Unless and until that happens, however, the ABPN will continue to follow the ABMS MOC Standards and require participating diplomates to complete all four Parts of
MOC. As in the past, the ABPN welcomes any constructive suggestions diplomates or professional organizations have about ways in which we might improve any part of our MOC Program that are consistent with the ABMS MOC Standards.
If you have any questions regarding the ABPN MOC process, please contact us at [email protected].
Best regards,
Larry R. Faulkner, M.D.
So let me see if I get this right. We asked you to stand up to ABMS, and instead you said 'please use lube, but they really do want to be bent over...just gently'.
Mr. Faulkner, and I do mean Mr. Please go screw yourself. With something spiky. Repeatedly. Also, expect a RICO investigation with your 1 million per year salary and benefit package (as of 2011). I'm sure it's gone up since then you piece of human excrement.