Lutheran Medical Center (LMC) Pediatric Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLLinNY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research about pediatric dental residencies and haven't been able to find a thread on just the Lutheran programs. There's a lot of information (not all of it great) about the programs, but mostly from people not actually in the residencies. It would be great if we could start a thread about the LMC Pediatric Residencies; if anyone can provide any information on the quality of the programs, the number of full-time faculty, the opinion of the residents, etc. that would be greatly appreciated.

• Alaska Native Medical Center, Anchorage, Alaska
• State of Hawaii with training at the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center WCCHC, Oahu, Hawaii); the Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services (KKV, Oahu, Hawaii); the Aloha Medical Mission (AMM, Honolulu, Hawaii); and the West Hawaii Community Health Center (WHCHC, Big Island, Hawaii)
• El Rio Community Health Center, Tucson, Arizona
• Holyoke Health Center located in Holyoke, Chicopee, and Springfield, Massachusetts
• Lutheran Medical Center, Department of Dental Medicine and the Lutheran Family Health Center Network, Brooklyn, New York
• Penobscot Community Health Center, Bangor, Maine
• San Ysidro Health Center, San Ysidro, California
• St. Joseph Health Services of Rhode Island, Providence, Rhode Island
• Three Lower Counties Comprehensive Services, Princess Anne, Maryland
• Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic, Yakima, Washington

Members don't see this ad.

For instance, I've heard that: Alaska is a decent program (literally that is all I heard, I have nothing else to substantiate what "decent" means); someone at Providence said that Holyoke residents have more didactic than Providence; the Maryland program had issues with not having a director for a while...

I did speak with a current resident at Providence and he said that overall, he's pretty happy with the experience there. He said that they pretty much just see a lot of kids everyday, sort of like working in a community health center that's really heavy on pediatrics. Not a ton of didactic there, aside from their online LMC lectures.

El Rio is supposed to be okay, not great. A current resident there is pretty happy. I guess (not substantiated) the director is LDS (Mormon) and sometimes favors LDS applicants (again, I am just passing along what little information I have heard from people in the programs, don't know if it's true or not).

I don't know anything about the program in San Ysidro but a friend who interviewed said they are looking for applicants with some experience after dental school (e.g.: GPR/AEGD).

I've also heard really bad things about the program in Bangor from people in Maine (one used to be an assistant there). They all say it's essentially just a big production mill that works the students really hard. The assistant left and wouldn't recommend it.

Anyway, most of what I have is second- or third-hand, but I thought I'd share it. Hopefully we can get more substantial information from people in the residencies themselves.

For instance, I've heard that: Alaska is a decent program (literally that is all I heard, I have nothing else to substantiate what "decent" means); someone at Providence said that Holyoke residents have more didactic than Providence; the Maryland program had issues with not having a director for a while...

I did speak with a current resident at Providence and he said that overall, he's pretty happy with the experience there. He said that they pretty much just see a lot of kids everyday, sort of like working in a community health center that's really heavy on pediatrics. Not a ton of didactic there, aside from their online LMC lectures.

El Rio is supposed to be okay, not great. A current resident there is pretty happy. I guess (not substantiated) the director is LDS (Mormon) and sometimes favors LDS applicants (again, I am just passing along what little information I have heard from people in the programs, don't know if it's true or not).

I don't know anything about the program in San Ysidro but a friend who interviewed said they are looking for applicants with some experience after dental school (e.g.: GPR/AEGD).

I've also heard really bad things about the program in Bangor from people in Maine (one used to be an assistant there). They all say it's essentially just a big production mill that works the students really hard. The assistant left and wouldn't recommend it.

Anyway, most of what I have is second- or third-hand, but I thought I'd share it. Hopefully we can get more substantial information from people in the residencies themselves.

Do you not see a trend? Lutheran is a massive corporation that runs a MA mill utilizing tax dollar stipends in subsidized community clinics.....dagone.... They run a mass lecture series to their residents (not just peds) in order to save cost.

Alaska is a great program.

I didn't see Brooklyn- it is a production mill. 2 nights a week and 10-13 Saturdays/year. LMC hires a lot of new grads to run their clinics.

LMC programs don't have a lot of faculty. They usually have 1 full time and 1 or 2 part timers. Some programs don't even have a full time faculty. Your education at LMC will not be as
solid as if you're at a "real" Pedo program. Don't just consider LMC. Look at other programs too. Good luck!!