Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Lutheran Medical Center (LMC) Pediatric Residencies

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by JLLinNY, 04.08.13.

1. Thanks to Crack the NBDE
  1. JLLinNY

JLLinNY

Dentist

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I've been doing a lot of research about pediatric dental residencies and haven't been able to find a thread on just the Lutheran programs. There's a lot of information (not all of it great) about the programs, but mostly from people not actually in the residencies. It would be great if we could start a thread about the LMC Pediatric Residencies; if anyone can provide any information on the quality of the programs, the number of full-time faculty, the opinion of the residents, etc. that would be greatly appreciated.

• Alaska Native Medical Center, Anchorage, Alaska
    • State of Hawaii with training at the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center WCCHC, Oahu, Hawaii); the Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services (KKV, Oahu, Hawaii); the Aloha Medical Mission (AMM, Honolulu, Hawaii); and the West Hawaii Community Health Center (WHCHC, Big Island, Hawaii)
    • El Rio Community Health Center, Tucson, Arizona
    • Holyoke Health Center located in Holyoke, Chicopee, and Springfield, Massachusetts
    • Lutheran Medical Center, Department of Dental Medicine and the Lutheran Family Health Center Network, Brooklyn, New York
    • Penobscot Community Health Center, Bangor, Maine
    • San Ysidro Health Center, San Ysidro, California
    • St. Joseph Health Services of Rhode Island, Providence, Rhode Island
    • Three Lower Counties Comprehensive Services, Princess Anne, Maryland
    • Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic, Yakima, Washington
  2. JLLinNY

JLLinNY

Dentist
    For instance, I've heard that: Alaska is a decent program (literally that is all I heard, I have nothing else to substantiate what "decent" means); someone at Providence said that Holyoke residents have more didactic than Providence; the Maryland program had issues with not having a director for a while...

I did speak with a current resident at Providence and he said that overall, he's pretty happy with the experience there. He said that they pretty much just see a lot of kids everyday, sort of like working in a community health center that's really heavy on pediatrics. Not a ton of didactic there, aside from their online LMC lectures.

El Rio is supposed to be okay, not great. A current resident there is pretty happy. I guess (not substantiated) the director is LDS (Mormon) and sometimes favors LDS applicants (again, I am just passing along what little information I have heard from people in the programs, don't know if it's true or not).

I don't know anything about the program in San Ysidro but a friend who interviewed said they are looking for applicants with some experience after dental school (e.g.: GPR/AEGD).

I've also heard really bad things about the program in Bangor from people in Maine (one used to be an assistant there). They all say it's essentially just a big production mill that works the students really hard. The assistant left and wouldn't recommend it.

Anyway, most of what I have is second- or third-hand, but I thought I'd share it. Hopefully we can get more substantial information from people in the residencies themselves.
  3. TJNova2011

TJNova2011

Dentist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Do you not see a trend? Lutheran is a massive corporation that runs a MA mill utilizing tax dollar stipends in subsidized community clinics.....dagone.... They run a mass lecture series to their residents (not just peds) in order to save cost.

Alaska is a great program.

I didn't see Brooklyn- it is a production mill. 2 nights a week and 10-13 Saturdays/year. LMC hires a lot of new grads to run their clinics.
  4. ubdental

ubdental

Dentist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    LMC programs don't have a lot of faculty. They usually have 1 full time and 1 or 2 part timers. Some programs don't even have a full time faculty. Your education at LMC will not be as
    solid as if you're at a "real" Pedo program. Don't just consider LMC. Look at other programs too. Good luck!!

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal