LVT before possible DVM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tatipu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been lurking the forums for the past few weeks just reading up on what it takes to get a DVM and I knew from the get-go it would be difficult. I recently had a tragic event happen in the family which caused me to veer towards the animal-sciences field. The thing is, I'm coming from a technical degree of Computer Science.

From what I've researched, none of my courses are needed for pre-reqs into vet school if that wasn't already obvious lol . Aside from maybe Physics and then the basics of general education (i.e. English) Let me note, I'm currently a Junior expected to graduate if continued, at the end of Summer 2016. [Note : GPA is only 2.8-2.9]

I've never liked C.S. but it's something my parents up until the tragedy, wouldn't let me change.

I've read at least 2 of the threads that talk about LVT before DVM and most people say it's not a great idea since LVTs don't get most, if not all the pre-reqs for vet school. (The plus is, the 2 year program I'm looking at deals with all kinds of animals -- equine, reptiles, domestic, etc so a lot of hands- on experience)

I'm not sure if my case is any different. I've looked at the reqs for DVM on the other threads. It's not a surprise that it's very difficult. But since I don't have a clue if I'll do well in the Sciences, I can't say if I'd be "Vet Material" Hence, I'm currently looking at becoming a LVT as a fall back (that way I'd at least get to be working around animals).

I don't mind the long run so long as it's something I enjoy I'd be fine for settling as a LVT if a DVM doesn't pan out. Do you guys think it's a good plan or should I just pursue a science degree like Biology and gather up hours that way? (Also, I'm not confident I could find a technical job with my credentials which is why I'm considering LVT before DVM)

Let me note that this isn't something out of the blue -- I've been wanting to work with animals since I was younger but it was something my parents didn't approve of so I never pursued it further.

Sorry for the long post :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's up to you. My personal feeling on LVT is that unless you are in a state that requires an LVT to be a tech in a clinical practice, the likelihood of the cost being worth the benefit of the degree is unfavorable. And I teach techs at the local school here. If you want to be an LVT, be an LVT. Don't do it because you want to be a vet. I would shadow first and get an idea of what it is really like to be either a DVM or LVT because you may find you don't want to work in the field and want to be involved with animals in some other way

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

I've been lurking the forums for the past few weeks just reading up on what it takes to get a DVM and I knew from the get-go it would be difficult. I recently had a tragic event happen in the family which caused me to veer towards the animal-sciences field. The thing is, I'm coming from a technical degree of Computer Science.

From what I've researched, none of my courses are needed for pre-reqs into vet school if that wasn't already obvious lol . Aside from maybe Physics and then the basics of general education (i.e. English) Let me note, I'm currently a Junior expected to graduate if continued, at the end of Summer 2016. [Note : GPA is only 2.8-2.9]

I've never liked C.S. but it's something my parents up until the tragedy, wouldn't let me change.

I've read at least 2 of the threads that talk about LVT before DVM and most people say it's not a great idea since LVTs don't get most, if not all the pre-reqs for vet school. (The plus is, the 2 year program I'm looking at deals with all kinds of animals -- equine, reptiles, domestic, etc so a lot of hands- on experience)

I'm not sure if my case is any different. I've looked at the reqs for DVM on the other threads. It's not a surprise that it's very difficult. But since I don't have a clue if I'll do well in the Sciences, I can't say if I'd be "Vet Material" Hence, I'm currently looking at becoming a LVT as a fall back (that way I'd at least get to be working around animals).

I don't mind the long run so long as it's something I enjoy I'd be fine for settling as a LVT if a DVM doesn't pan out. Do you guys think it's a good plan or should I just pursue a science degree like Biology and gather up hours that way? (Also, I'm not confident I could find a technical job with my credentials which is why I'm considering LVT before DVM)

Let me note that this isn't something out of the blue -- I've been wanting to work with animals since I was younger but it was something my parents didn't approve of so I never pursued it further.

Sorry for the long post :(

I think you're looking at it .... wrong-ish.

If you can do C.S. classes fine, you should be able to do vet-school pre-reqs fine. Your GPA suggests you need to think about how you approach studying in general, because while you can technically get into (some) vet schools with a 2.8-2.9, and you'll find people around SDN that will tell you they did it .... don't kid yourself, it's a hard uphill battle. MUCH better off fixing whatever is dragging your grades down to that C+/B- range and start getting straight A's.

So, I wouldn't do the LVT program just to prove you can do academic course-work. You can efficiently prove that with the vet-school pre-reqs that you'd have to take anyway, so why incur the extra cost of an LVT program? Doesn't make sense because it's just more debt/time.

You can get experience in other ways and before you go too far down the road, I'd start there. Get some experience with a veterinary researcher, a private SA clinic, an equine vet, whatever. Just start getting behind the closed doors and find out if you're still interested. You may get behind the scenes and find out it's exactly what you thought it would be - great. You may find out it's not - and then you save yourself a lot of time and money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're looking at it .... wrong-ish.

If you can do C.S. classes fine, you should be able to do vet-school pre-reqs fine. Your GPA suggests you need to think about how you approach studying in general, because while you can technically get into (some) vet schools with a 2.8-2.9, and you'll find people around SDN that will tell you they did it .... don't kid yourself, it's a hard uphill battle. MUCH better off fixing whatever is dragging your grades down to that C+/B- range and start getting straight A's.

So, I wouldn't do the LVT program just to prove you can do academic course-work. You can efficiently prove that with the vet-school pre-reqs that you'd have to take anyway, so why incur the extra cost of an LVT program? Doesn't make sense because it's just more debt/time.

You can get experience in other ways and before you go too far down the road, I'd start there. Get some experience with a veterinary researcher, a private SA clinic, an equine vet, whatever. Just start getting behind the closed doors and find out if you're still interested. You may get behind the scenes and find out it's exactly what you thought it would be - great. You may find out it's not - and then you save yourself a lot of time and money.

That's the issue though. I've been struggling with C.S. classes and working hard to only get a C/B- Programming just isn't for me. That's the reason for the 360. Yes, my study habits are already sub par and I could have possibly raised my grade maybe a letter grade but for something I have no interest or passion in, it's hard for me (which shouldn't be an excuse, but it is)

Before the accident, I sent out probably a good 100 applications for interns at various companies. My GPA is probably the biggest offset . Most companies require above a 3.5 to even be considered for an internship. (I applied to those that didn't require the GPA) I wasn't given an opportunity on any. Which means, I really can't get a job for the work I've already done in C.S. (Sent out 50 during the spring semester as well) I don't know if that equates to saying, I can only find a minimum job because I'm sure I can at least find a simple data entry job for 9 maybe $10 an hour .

So, correct me if I'm wrong, what you're saying is I should just 1. Change my study habits 2. LVT isn't worth the time/money so just work towards vet school pre-reqs(?)

That's the issue though. I've been struggling with C.S. classes and working hard to only get a C/B- Programming just isn't for me. That's the reason for the 360. Yes, my study habits are already sub par and I could have possibly raised my grade maybe a letter grade but for something I have no interest or passion in, it's hard for me (which shouldn't be an excuse, but it is)

Before the accident, I sent out probably a good 100 applications for interns at various companies. My GPA is probably the biggest offset . Most companies require above a 3.5 to even be considered for an internship. (I applied to those that didn't require the GPA) I wasn't given an opportunity on any. Which means, I really can't get a job for the work I've already done in C.S. (Sent out 50 during the spring semester as well) I don't know if that equates to saying, I can only find a minimum job because I'm sure I can at least find a simple data entry job for 9 maybe $10 an hour .

So, correct me if I'm wrong, what you're saying is I should just 1. Change my study habits 2. LVT isn't worth the time/money so just work towards vet school pre-reqs(?)

Well. I think, if I'm reading what you're saying right, that you're thinking "Oh, I'll do much better in <those> classes because I just don't <like> these classes."

And sure, there is definitely SOME truth to that. But it's not as much as you think. I know what it feels like when you're there, but really - undergraduate classes (with some really widely known exceptions) just aren't that hard. People who legitimately put in the time/effort should be able to get a B+ in the vast majority of UG classes, even if they find them dull, hard, whatever. So my suspicion is that yes, you need to think about how you're approaching the classes and objectively figure out why you're getting C/B- grades.

You're right that not having an interest or passion shouldn't be an excuse. I promise you that there will be vet school pre-reqs that you have no interest in or passion for. And then there will be vet school classes like that (for me: every damn bovine lecture EVER). And then there will be cases out in practice like that. I hate respiratory cases. I have zero interest in them. But I still suck it up and do the very best job I can with them.

I don't get to say "I'm gonna give a sub-par effort on this one because respiratory cases aren't my passion."

The fact is, you need to suck it up and apply yourself, even if you don't really care for the class. I sound like I'm being a jerk, but ... you will go a lot further and you will get to work with the things that ARE your passion if you put the effort in even when it doesn't seem fun. If you only 'show up' for the things that you think are within the realm of your interest ... you may never get to the point of achieving what you want. So I'm trying to help you achieve; I'm not trying to be a jack-ass. They key is to remember that all these little baby steps - even if you hate the step itself - are ultimately moving you down the road to where you want to be.

I would maybe back off looking for internships, and look for shadowing or volunteer possibilities. Even a day here, a day there could help you get a foot in the door and some idea of whether it's as interesting to you as you think.

But yes, I would agree with both those points: change your study habits, and the LVT isn't worth the time/money if you know your ultimate goal is vet school.

Well. I think, if I'm reading what you're saying right, that you're thinking "Oh, I'll do much better in <those> classes because I just don't <like> these classes."

And sure, there is definitely SOME truth to that. But it's not as much as you think. I know what it feels like when you're there, but really - undergraduate classes (with some really widely known exceptions) just aren't that hard. People who legitimately put in the time/effort should be able to get a B+ in the vast majority of UG classes, even if they find them dull, hard, whatever. So my suspicion is that yes, you need to think about how you're approaching the classes and objectively figure out why you're getting C/B- grades.

You're right that not having an interest or passion shouldn't be an excuse. I promise you that there will be vet school pre-reqs that you have no interest in or passion for. And then there will be vet school classes like that (for me: every damn bovine lecture EVER). And then there will be cases out in practice like that. I hate respiratory cases. I have zero interest in them. But I still suck it up and do the very best job I can with them.

I don't get to say "I'm gonna give a sub-par effort on this one because respiratory cases aren't my passion."

The fact is, you need to suck it up and apply yourself, even if you don't really care for the class. I sound like I'm being a jerk, but ... you will go a lot further and you will get to work with the things that ARE your passion if you put the effort in even when it doesn't seem fun. If you only 'show up' for the things that you think are within the realm of your interest ... you may never get to the point of achieving what you want. So I'm trying to help you achieve; I'm not trying to be a jack-ass. They key is to remember that all these little baby steps - even if you hate the step itself - are ultimately moving you down the road to where you want to be.

I would maybe back off looking for internships, and look for shadowing or volunteer possibilities. Even a day here, a day there could help you get a foot in the door and some idea of whether it's as interesting to you as you think.

But yes, I would agree with both those points: change your study habits, and the LVT isn't worth the time/money if you know your ultimate goal is vet school.

I agree that most UG classes are fairly easy. Just a little effort & time for the general courses is enough for B+/A-'s. For the more specialized courses, I'd have to disagree. But to each their own. I do realize that there's always going to be classes I dislike and I really should learn how to deal with them so no, you don't seem like a jackass at all because it's true that I need to suck it up. Your suspicions are absolutely correct though. My study habits are definitely something I need to change. (Poor study habits since High school -- bad habits are hard to break!)

Since I don't have any experience in shadowing, do I just contact various clinics/shelters to just ask if they would allow me to shadow (shadow what? Daily routines?) and as for volunteer possibilities, do you mean shelters/rescues kind of volunteering?
Thank you for the tips though, I was seriously considering LVT for the longest time as a stepping stone(as in learning more about the field) into the animal sciences and since I usually doubt my abilities, I usually don't think I would make it into vet school given the acceptance rate is probably 35-45% out of all applicants? Or maybe a little higher, but that's still extremely high competition.

Then again, I guess it makes more sense. At least if I don't get into Vet school, I'll have my 4 year B.S. which I think would lead to a decent living.

I do realize that there's always going to be classes I dislike and I really should learn how to deal with them so no, you don't seem like a jackass at all because it's true that I need to suck it up. Your suspicions are absolutely correct though. My study habits are definitely something I need to change. (Poor study habits since High school -- bad habits are hard to break!)

If it makes you feel better, I'm not being a snob. My study habits SUCKED. That's why I failed out of college twice. So I'm not just one of those "gee, I got A's, so why can't everyone else"? I've been on both sides of doing really sucky, and doing really well. I'm just trying to tell people what I should have done differently in hopes they don't have to go the same route I did. :) And I was not even remotely a great vet school student ... my vet-school GPA put me square in the middle of my class, sometimes lower. So I'm not talking 'down' to you.

Seriously. Just put in the effort. Don't settle. Get help from your school instead of trying to figure it out alone!! You don't need an A in every class, but you should get an A in most classes with the occasional B to A-. In your entire UG career, a few C's won't hurt at all, but you shouldn't be usually getting C to B grades. At least, not in today's world of grade inflation. I really wish a C <actually was> average like it's intended to be, but that's a whole different discussion.

Since I don't have any experience in shadowing, do I just contact various clinics/shelters to just ask if they would allow me to shadow (shadow what? Daily routines?) and as for volunteer possibilities, do you mean shelters/rescues kind of volunteering?

Sure, any of those. There's a lot of variability in what clinics will allow - some will happily let you just come hang out for the day and watch how things are done. Some will let you touch animals and help out. Some won't let you set foot in the door. You just need to start contacting them, telling them you're considering vet school, but would like to see what it's like behind the scenes first. You'll get some "good luck but no we can't help you" responses, but eventually you'll find someone willing to let you hang with them a bit. If you have a good experience, ask if you can come back. I went that route, and that clinic wants me to come on board as a full-time vet there. So you never know where it will lead.

Shelters, wildlife rehabs, some (fewer and fewer) clinics, rescues ... they all need people to help out, and it can be a great 'foot in the door' thing. The downside of *volunteer* work is that it's often more animal related than veterinary related. But maybe you have to start on the bottom cleaning kennels for a while. It's life. I still clean kennels as a vet because why not, somebody has to, and if my techs are doing real work and I'm caught up on paperwork....

I was able to get a volunteer opportunity at my our vet school's teaching hospital, which was really awesome. But there are relatively few of those opportunities out there.

It's mostly just being willing to talk to people and not getting discouraged when you get rejections. You'll find something if you look! :)

At least if I don't get into Vet school, I'll have my 4 year B.S. which I think would lead to a decent living.

Solid plan. I typically tell people that if they can get into vet school after three years of UG (many vet schools award a BS after finishing your first year if you didn't already have a bachelor's degree), then they should do that because it's cheaper. But for someone like you who is switching course mid-undergraduate career, I think it makes a lot of sense to view it the way you are. Always good to have a back-up plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Again, thank you for your help and information. It's difficult to find someone in the field to ask -- all my friends as well as my parents' friends are all in the engineering field or something unrelated to vet so they can't really help me out haha. It's nice to find people for a change. As for my C.S degree, well, most of my profs weren't even willing to answer questions (shocking, I know) . It's nice to know that you don't have to be a perfect student to get in. (Tbh, that's how I imagined it was for any kind of med student) But asking around and getting rejections, seems like a good way to build my social skills as I'd hate to admit, I handle rejections terribly .

Do you know if vet schools accept courses from a community college? (or would I need to call and ask) It's good for a community college but -- not great. I know a friend who did 190 hours of coursework at the community college, got into hopkins but I don't think any of her credits transferred, sadly but then again she's fresh out of high school so she has plenty of time. As of right now, I don't plan on staying with my current college as I fooled around my 2nd semester and used most of my withdraws. And it's a little too late to apply to other regular 4 year universities, at least for the Fall semester.

Again, thank you for your help and information. It's difficult to find someone in the field to ask -- all my friends as well as my parents' friends are all in the engineering field or something unrelated to vet so they can't really help me out haha. It's nice to find people for a change. As for my C.S degree, well, most of my profs weren't even willing to answer questions (shocking, I know) . It's nice to know that you don't have to be a perfect student to get in. (Tbh, that's how I imagined it was for any kind of med student) But asking around and getting rejections, seems like a good way to build my social skills as I'd hate to admit, I handle rejections terribly .

Do you know if vet schools accept courses from a community college? (or would I need to call and ask) It's good for a community college but -- not great. I know a friend who did 190 hours of coursework at the community college, got into hopkins but I don't think any of her credits transferred, sadly but then again she's fresh out of high school so she has plenty of time. As of right now, I don't plan on staying with my current college as I fooled around my 2nd semester and used most of my withdraws. And it's a little too late to apply to other regular 4 year universities, at least for the Fall semester.
depends on the school, but basically if it fits their pre-req, they tend to accept it. call the schools you intend on applying to if you want to know for sure. Also, some schools do place value on academic rigor.

Many vet schools will accept courses from a community college, and often times it's an excellent choice for budget reasons. However, I'm aware that some ask that some of the upper-division science classes like organic chemistry be taken at 4-year colleges. It's best to call the specific programs you'd like to eventually apply to and ask, or check their website.

Have you thought of possibly taking a semester off and working or just taking a single class? If you're thinking about changing universities, now might be the time to try for an animal-related job in a clinic, if possible.

Many vet schools will accept courses from a community college, and often times it's an excellent choice for budget reasons. However, I'm aware that some ask that some of the upper-division science classes like organic chemistry be taken at 4-year colleges. It's best to call the specific programs you'd like to eventually apply to and ask, or check their website.

Have you thought of possibly taking a semester off and working or just taking a single class? If you're thinking about changing universities, now might be the time to try for an animal-related job in a clinic, if possible.

Well, if I do go to the community college, I can start when classes start for everyone else. I'm sure it won't be a big issue. But given as you said some courses may need to be taken (depending on program) at a 4 year college. (though my community college is considered a 4 year college so I assume you mean something else) , it may be best for me to just take the courses I can there so I can get started as soon as possible. But if I can, I would definitely look into an animal-related job . Most that I've seen in the animal field for jobs are looking for permanent position employees that have at least a year or two experience in various animal fields but I'll be sure to look again.

Well, if I do go to the community college, I can start when classes start for everyone else. I'm sure it won't be a big issue. But given as you said some courses may need to be taken (depending on program) at a 4 year college. (though my community college is considered a 4 year college so I assume you mean something else) , it may be best for me to just take the courses I can there so I can get started as soon as possible. But if I can, I would definitely look into an animal-related job . Most that I've seen in the animal field for jobs are looking for permanent position employees that have at least a year or two experience in various animal fields but I'll be sure to look again.
I'd say look at the language each school uses. The school I remember asks that you take upper-division science coursework at a "4 year college" so that's why I chose that language. I'm still getting used to cc's that offer 4-year programs too, so I don't always think that way.

As for your problems with the animal field, I'd say shoot out a bunch of applications, even if places say they aren't hiring. The area I live in was much like that (only a few, permanent positions requiring more experience than I had). I applied and called to pretty much EVERY veterinary clinic within an established geographic radius in which I was willing to commute. It took a lot of time, but it was rewarding when I got a call back from two separate clinics within the same week asking me to interview. Both of those clinics said that they weren't looking a month before. Perseverance and dedication help a lot. If anything, find a job for which you are qualified and do some shadowing and volunteer work on the side until you can find something more permanent.

I'd say look at the language each school uses. The school I remember asks that you take upper-division science coursework at a "4 year college" so that's why I chose that language. I'm still getting used to cc's that offer 4-year programs too, so I don't always think that way.

As for your problems with the animal field, I'd say shoot out a bunch of applications, even if places say they aren't hiring. The area I live in was much like that (only a few, permanent positions requiring more experience than I had). I applied and called to pretty much EVERY veterinary clinic within an established geographic radius in which I was willing to commute. It took a lot of time, but it was rewarding when I got a call back from two separate clinics within the same week asking me to interview. Both of those clinics said that they weren't looking a month before. Perseverance and dedication help a lot. If anything, find a job for which you are qualified and do some shadowing and volunteer work on the side until you can find something more permanent.

Will do, Thank you! Probably going to call in tomorrow whenever offices open back up.

I'm about to start volunteering for a rescue that I've been donating to for awhile now so hopefully that'll grant me some hands on experience... Even if it doesn't, I get to be around an awesome breed. So yeah, the plan as of now is to call into a few vet schools to see if they'd first accept credits from my local cc. If they don't, then I'd probably take the semester off and find work at local clinics/volunteering opportunities :)