M.A. to M.A. with counseling? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SallyStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I finished my M.A. in Educational Psychology a year ago. I know that many M.A.s in Ed Psych include practica and graduate their students with the ability to sit for licensure in counseling exams. My program, however, was strictly academic.

Come to find out, I am not satisfied doing what I'm doing. All my degree really qualified me for was to eventually earn a Ph.D. in Ed Psych. All I really wanted to be was a counselor, but I talked myself into believing that this program would make me happy.

My question is, does anyone here know of an Ed Psych program that would accept my current degree and let me complete any remaining credit hours/practica? Or would I need to start all over again? I don't have the money to do that so it would be out of the question. Oh, here is another obstacle - does anyone know if I could complete a program like this remotely? I move a LOT - I have lived in 5 different states in the last 5 years due to my husband's career.

Since I already have the REAL brick and mortar master's degree... should I go for one of the online schools (i.e. Walden or otherwise)?? All I really need is the counseling credential!

Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Since you mentioned needing an online school, I would recommend that you contact online schools to ask whether your credits would count in their program. Thus, allowing you to not start all over again. I would recommend a CACREP accredited program. You can look them up here:
http://www.cacrep.org/directory/directory.cfm

Last edited: