M.D and D.O Merger ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, none of that model stuff is really new. every school propagandizes their potential success. every medical school tries to encourage local residencies to accommodate its students, tries doing research if possible, and of course trying the best to have quality clinical rotations. i suppose possibly due to NMSU affiliation that it has an upper hand in possible research? but NMSU isn't exactly a research power house, either.

i personally don't believe in the hype this school is getting, but we'll see after the first guinea pigs of this experiment come out.

All solid and accurate points. I would just say that although all schools desire these things most don't or are unable to make it happen vs BCOM which is already walking the walk this early on.

Indeed we will see after 4 years if it ends up as rosy as it seems now

Members don't see this ad.

Does this mean that talented DO applicants won't be at a disadvantage JUST cause they are DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely, the school has already created over 100 residency positions, some of which already have begun taking applications for residents, 5 years ahead of the graduation of its first class. These positions are and all will be ACGME accredited by/before 2020.

Ah, okay. So they are not ACGME accredited but they will be. Presumably. I am still trying to wrap my head around how a 168 bed hospital will support so much GME, but perhaps they have a method to the madness.

Dustbowl12 said:
I highly recommend you read this feasibility report.

I have little doubt that it is interchangeable with other feasibility reports I have read, in that it consists of a highly paid consultant telling its client what the client wants to hear.

Reactions: 1 users
You are living in America, everything is for-profit o_O

Just google how much president of NSU makes

The fact that hospitals are non-profit, should tell you that there's something flawed about getting that distinction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The sock puppetry is strong with this one.

Do you find this a little concerning?

MountainView Regional Medical Center:
AOA-approved internal medicine positions = 24
Teaching faculty at base institution = 8 (!)

AOA-approved orthopedic surgery positions = 15
Teaching faculty at base institution = 7 (!)

Perhaps they are in the process of hiring more teaching faculty, but I found these numbers rather striking.

How does a summer of OMM training stand-up to the 2+ years that DO students get? Certainly, the standard would be set at being proficient enough to pass the OMM portion of COMLEX--would a summer couse be adequate, you think? Anything less would be an unlevel field, in favor of the MDs who can skirt by with just piddling OMM training.
From my understanding there's roughly 200 hours of OMM training done, if a summer is a little over 2 months or so, they could technically get the same hours of training if they did OMM training for four hours a day. But to your point, I doubt it would be THAT intense.

Perhaps they are in the process of hiring more teaching faculty, but I found these numbers rather striking.

wait, is the teaching faculty per specialty? (ie 3 ortho residents per year taught by 7 attendings?) I don't profess to have the slightest idea what makes a good ortho program, however.

Colleague, can you enlighten us neophytes as to what the proper numbers should be. This is very much outside my knowledge base!

wait, is the teaching faculty per specialty? (ie 3 ortho residents per year taught by 7 attendings?) I don't profess to have the slightest idea what makes a good ortho program, however.

edit: I just looked up PCOM's ortho program because I remember them having similar numbers when I worked at the hospital where they were based, but as it turns out, they also had about 5 other sites where their residents rotate... so yeah, small numbers.

The sock puppetry is strong with this one.

So because someone presents facts they are sock puppets? Do you expect someone who will likely be investing hundreds of K to a program to not research it? SDN is an extremely depressing, yet beneficial site

Members don't see this ad :)

Some places will have other sites where residents rotate with private physicians that aren't considered "teaching faculty"...hopefully that is the case there.

So because someone presents facts they are sock puppets? Do you expect someone who will likely be investing hundreds of K to a program to not research it? SDN is an extremely depressing, yet beneficial site

Regurgitating institutional talking points (in this and other similar threads) is not presenting facts.

Regurgitating institutional talking points (in this and other similar threads) is not presenting facts.

I have also defended programs like CUSOM and RVU, UCR. But whatever there is no convincing people who already have their mind made up about someone

Very telling you have no problem with posters that have clear vendettas against programs. and spread misinformation throughout similar threads but don't like it when people defend the program with firsthand experience and facts

Two of the best physicians I know went to LECOM, and a number of their students prefer PBL because it gives them a more practical case study style of learning they argue

I have also defended programs like CUSOM and RVU, UCR. But whatever there is no convincing people who already have their mind made up about someone

Very telling you have no problem with posters that have clear vendettas against programs. and spread misinformation throughout similar threads but don't like it when people defend the program with firsthand experience and facts

Two of the best physicians I know went to LECOM, and a number of their students prefer PBL because it gives them a more practical case study style of learning they argue
First hand and personal experiences are NOT facts....your story at best contribute as an n=1 study or observation.

First hand and personal experiences are NOT facts....your story at best contribute as an n=1 study or observation.
I provided firsthand experience and facts, read the links above. You are more interested in attacking the poster than the content

I provided firsthand experience and facts, read the links above. You are more interested in attacking the poster than the content
What facts? All I see in these report links are flowery stories and goals with big promises. A private firm sent a letter with big praises for the college that is paying them for work and you want to use that as evidence or fact to support how great the school is...that's kinda ridiculous. There is nothing really impressive about their institution....their 300 mostly primary care residency positions are merely contracts created with local community hospitals. Until they can actually provide hard facts about their research, ranking, residents quality, the institution will still be questioned for its validity.

What facts? All I see in these report links are flowery stories and goals with big promises. A private firm sent a letter with big praises for the college that is paying them for work and you want to use that as evidence or fact to support how great the school is...that's kinda ridiculous. There is nothing really impressive about their institution....their 300 mostly primary care residency positions are merely contracts created with local community hospitals. Until they can actually provide hard facts about their research, ranking, residents quality, the institution will still be questioned for its validity.

Trip umbach isnt some random firm, I posted their accolades and experience above, they don't give their word to anyone otherwise it would destroy their brand. They aren't just primary care residencies, they are spread well and include ortho, anesth, etc.
It's a new program those other questions you have will be answered in 4 years sir. I never said the school is great I said its promising in light of residencies its created, research requirement, and clinical affiliations. The school might burn and crash, who knows. You jumped the gun a bit on me. Unsubscribing from threaded

Trip umbach isnt some random firm, I posted their accolades and experience above, they don't give their word to anyone otherwise it would destroy their brand. They aren't just primary care residencies, they are spread well and include ortho, anesth, etc.
It's a new program those other questions you have will be answered in 4 years sir. I never said the school is great I said its promising in light of residencies its created, research requirement, and clinical affiliations. The school might burn and crash, who knows. You jumped the gun a bit on me. Unsubscribing from threaded
Do you work for BCOM? I'm not sure why you can't handle some (much expected) skepticism towards a brand new DO school.

Do you work for BCOM? I'm not sure why you can't handle some (much expected) skepticism towards a brand new DO school.
ahahaha wow. No. I agree with the skepticism, we can't let new programs have an easy pass. I hate BCOMs for profit status, even though they claim it was needed I still can't get around it and it keeps me on edge/weary about the school. NMSU has alot of money, I don't understand why they couldn't help fund the school.

The percentiles for step and comlex are very different as you have very different populations takin the test. Allopathic grads are higher caliber than osteopathic grads. A 76th percentile on step 1 is much more impressive than an 85th percentile on comlex.

How do you know this? Have you taken both exams?

It's self-evident. I don't need to take the gre to know that the mcat is a lot harder.

I took them both, and I found the COMLEX more difficult (though not in the way you probably think I'm implying).

In terms of material covered, and depth of knowledge required to do well, I'd say they're basically equal. But the COMLEX is not very well written, so sometimes you're left guessing a bit at what the question writer is asking. The USMLE had very clear and well written questions, and if I couldn't come up with the answer I knew it was only because I hadn't learned it well enough.

How do you know this? Have you taken both exams?

Last year my school's comlex mean was much better than my school's usmle mean. And this was when people could choose not to take the USMLE, so the worst scorers self selected out.

I took them both, and I found the COMLEX more difficult (though not in the way you probably think I'm implying).

In terms of material covered, and depth of knowledge required to do well, I'd say they're basically equal. But the COMLEX is not very well written, so sometimes you're left guessing a bit at what the question writer is asking. The USMLE had very clear and well written questions, and if I couldn't come up with the answer I knew it was only because I hadn't learned it well enough.

I thought that the comlex basically covered the same knowledge base but used a lot more keyword, memorization style questions, so it's easier to game the system. Just by recognizing keywords and picking the most familiar answer, you can get a decent comlex score even if you have a poor understanding of the topic in the question.