M.D. Seeking Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkiFreeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm an M.D. just starting to become interested in physician scientist training. I'd like to get some research experience under my belt, though. Does anyone know where I should start? I have some free time now and can travel, so I'd love to start working with a P.I. who could use help with an ongoing project. Any leads? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to figure a few things out.

1) What kind of research are you interested in? Clinical trials? Biomolec? Biochem? BME? Neuroscience? Etc.

2) Where do you want to live?

3) What kind of wages are you looking for? (If you're willing to go at it for free, you can work with anyone you want, but few people are going to want to hire someone with no experience just to train them and have them leave before they do anything useful.)

It is very possible to get a job in academia and do research in conjunction with your colleagues, or you can get a job as a research assistant, which wouldn't be a very good option in my opinion.

I don't know much about this, but I think that you could apply for a post doc, or at least a research residency. Or if you're looking to get a PhD, you'll need to apply for programs, but once again you'll have to pick which field you're interested in, where you want to go, etc.