M.D with a foreign medical degree in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeignM.D

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a Doctor of Medicine freshly graduated from the Tunis Faculty of medicine after 5 years of studies and 2 years of clinical internship in various departments in the hospitals of Tunis.

I know the path that i am supposed to take in order to obtain a licence to practice medicine in the US; but it is a long road and for personal reasons i am open to persuing a career in the non clinical medical fields or in the paramedical field in the US.

Could anyone help me with ideas for schools or certain programs that suit my situation?? (hopefully in Plattsburgh or the Vermont region).

Any kind of help would so appreciated.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly do you mean by "non clinical medical fields"? Maybe I'm just not thinking correctly right now, but I can't think of a job in the medical field that is non clinical. The path to becoming a paramedic isn't as time consuming as the path to becoming a doctor here in the US, but you should do a lot of research and make sure that this is what you really want. Going to EMT school and then Paramedic school may not be very difficult for you because of your background experiences, but working as a paramedic here is no joke. Your education might carry you far, but practicing medicine in an ambulance is completely different than practicing medicine in a hospital or clinic. I won't inquire into your reasons for not deciding to pursue the practice of medicine here as a doctor, but I would try and think long and hard a few more times before you decide to become a paramedic.

In any case, if you want to become a Paramedic then you need to become an EMT-Basic first. These programs are usually 1-6 months long depending on where you attend class. Factoring in the time that it takes to do all of your clinicals, take the National Registry exam and get all the official paperwork stuff processed, you're looking at a possible 6 months to 1 year timeline. Depending on where you attend Paramedic school and how diligent you are, you're looking at a possible 12 months - 2.5 years timeline from the time that you start class to the time that you become certified/licensed.

For the most part, search around the websites for the community colleges in your area. Some offer the training for these technician jobs. If not these smaller colleges, then some universities/medical schools may even have them. I've seen some hospitals that offer the training for EMT-B and EMT-P, but these programs usually lack in quality training for whatever reason. Ironic.

You might also look into attending Physician Assistant (PA) school or even becomes a Registered Nurse (RN). These are very viable jobs that will probably provide you more satisfaction given your status as a medical doctor in another country.

Best of luck!