M.Ed. in Counseling with Clinical Mental Health Track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Have any of you heard of M.Ed. in Counseling with concentration in Clinical Mental Health? The one school I am looking at has that degree opposed to the other which is an MA in counseling with concentration in clinical mental health. Does that make a difference if it is MA or M.Ed.? Both will let me sit for state testing and are accredited. Also, here the license is LCP opposed to in IL where it is LCPC. Is this pretty much the same thing? Is that the same thing as being a therapist? Is providing counseling and therapy the same thing or are different theories and techniques used?

Also, I need to take the MAT, is that less intense than the GRE?

Thanks!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! Have any of you heard of M.Ed. in Counseling with concentration in Clinical Mental Health? The one school I am looking at has that degree opposed to the other which is an MA in counseling with concentration in clinical mental health. Does that make a difference if it is MA or M.Ed.? Both will let me sit for state testing and are accredited. Also, here the license is LCP opposed to in IL where it is LCPC. Is this pretty much the same thing? Is that the same thing as being a therapist? Is providing counseling and therapy the same thing or are different theories and techniques used?

Also, I need to take the MAT, is that less intense than the GRE?

Thanks!!!!!!
I have heard of the M. Ed in Counseling. The school that I completed my undergrad at had this. It was not housed in the Psychology Department. It was housed in the Education Dept. I don't think it really makes a difference which one, however, I would check their accreditation. You will want to go to a CACREP accredited program. Without, you may limit future jobs like the VA or the ability to bill certain insurance, like TRICARE I believe. LPC vs LCPC vs LPCC typically is just how your state licenses you. Where I am from it is LPC. Typically not much of a difference. Some use counseling and psychotherapy interchangeably. Some argue there is a difference. In my state, only a licensed professional can practice psychotherapy whereas anyone can call themselves a counselor. However, you can't call yourself a licensed professional counselor without the education, supervised hours and passing the national and state exams. I did not need the GRE or MAT for entrance into my program so I cannot speak to their difficulties. However, anecdotally, I have heard the GRE is more difficult but again this is word of mouth. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much! Yes this program is CACREP accredited. Another one I am looking at is SACS accredited.. what is that? Te other program is at Montreat College in Charlotte. Has anyone heard of that? Thanks again, really appreciate all of your guidance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! Yes this program is CACREP accredited. Another one I am looking at is SACS accredited.. what is that? Te other program is at Montreat College in Charlotte. Has anyone heard of that? Thanks again, really appreciate all of your guidance :)
I'm not familiar with that program. I believe that SACS is a form of Regional Accreditation. You will want your school to be regionally accredited versus nationally. SACS will accredit your school, and not your specific program, So for that region, you would want a SACS accredited school and CACREP accredited program.

Hands down, you definitely want to go with a CACREP accredited program. Gold standard.