M.S. in Family Studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparklyface681

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How useful is an M.S. in Family Studies? Will having one help me get into a PsyD or PhD program? (I ask because I'm already about a year into the program and it's not what I expected)

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, but how is it not what you expected?

Members don't see this ad :)
How useful is an M.S. in Family Studies? Will having one help me get into a PsyD or PhD program? (I ask because I'm already about a year into the program and it's not what I expected)
I have a MS of FAMILY STUDIES, Right know I have a plan for certification of Counselor, after that apply for Dr. Degree but i'm not sure with kind of degree Dr of Education, Family studies,Psy Dr...?Please guide me about this issue? Thanks

Hello cherry, I'm Dr. Degree, how may I be of service?

But seriously, your question is a little difficult to understand. If I am understanding it correctly you wish to know what sort of doctorate you should try to obtain in order to go into counseling? It would be helpful for these fine folks if you could let them know what your career interest/goals/dreams/aspirations are to help guide their responses. Each degree serves a different purpose, with some overlap I'm sure.

If you are actually studying families in some way and by that I mean conducting real research, then it will help you get into a doctoral program. If it is a typical liberal arts "_____ Studies" program, then it would probably be less useful.