M1 trying to match into ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clementane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am currently trying to match into ortho from low tier US MD medical school with full tuition scholarship. I know it's a long way ahead, but I wanted to get some advices!

A little about myself, I just finished a block of two courses with honors in both and starting on ortho research in a week. And my question is.. how hard is it to match into ortho in major cities coming from low tier MD school? My home state is CA and I went to college in CA, and matching into CA anywhere would be a dream. How much does coming from OOS, low tier school affects my chance? also is there anything I can do as an M1 to continue maximize my chance to match into ortho?

Honestly, I would be extremely grateful to match anywhere, but wanted to gauge my chance. To add more about my school, it's fairly a new school and 6% matched into ortho last year, mostly to home institution.

Members don't see this ad.

6% of your CLASS matched into ortho? lol that's gotta be better than any "top tier" school lol. just hang out with the ortho dept and keep doing research, dont be weird, keep getting As, start studing for step 1 early, get good grades, and DONT BE WEIRD

Learn the material from you classes in order to do well on step 1 in the future. Get started doing research as early as possible, and don't flake if you commit to a project.

That's really all you need to do early on. If you don't do well on step 1 it's an uphill battle even if your application is otherwise outstanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
The charting outcomes for 2014 has a median of 6.7 research posters, pubs, abstracts combined. I was wondering what number of publications and papers in submission would be considered average and top-notch since the outcomes don't differentiate between publications and posters/abstract/etc.?

Last edited:
I always wondered about the Charting Outcomes reported # of abstracts, pubs, and posters- Am I correct in assuming that there is no way to know whether this is research that was done in the field, i.e ortho specifically or whether it includes research from other specialties or even from undergrad, etc.

I wonder if having a significant # of pubs within one's hopeful specialty looks that much better? And is there any reported data for applicants that separates ortho research vs non-ortho research. I know that any research is good, I am just curious about this.

The charting outcomes for 2014 has a median of 6.7 research posters, pubs, abstracts combined. I was wondering what number of publications and papers in submission would be considered average and top-notch since the outcomes don't differentiate between publications and posters/abstract/etc.?

I always wondered about the Charting Outcomes reported # of abstracts, pubs, and posters- Am I correct in assuming that there is no way to know whether this is research that was done in the field, i.e ortho specifically or whether it includes research from other specialties or even from undergrad, etc.

I wonder if having a significant # of pubs within one's hopeful specialty looks that much better? And is there any reported data for applicants that separates ortho research vs non-ortho research. I know that any research is good, I am just curious about this.

Stop and breathe. It's useless to obsess over these numbers - they are averages, not minimums. They might appear useful, but they are skewed by a small minority of applicants and the structure of the application (see link below). Focus on grades and boards first, research second - and as far as your involvement goes, put your available time into 1 project, complete it and complete it well, then move on to the next. Too often, medical students look too far ahead and spread ourselves too thin (speaking from experience), whether it's board prep, ECs, research, etc. If you pick it up quickly and efficiently, the numbers will be there, but realize that quality almost always trumps quantity. Likewise, the application and match process is much more complex than Charting the Outcomes - people match every year with 220s and 1 research experience, and people go unmatched every year with 250+ and 10 research experiences.

Read and understand this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/eras-publications-listing-faq.751255/

Reactions: 1 user