M3 fallen for ortho--advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDUSA23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M3 on my second week of ortho. I was decided on a different specialty until I fell in love with ortho. There isn't anything I haven't liked about it, yet. The surgeries are awesome and injections/splints/popping joints back into place in clinic are fun. I have been interested in pain based research and love how ortho helps relieve physical pain. But I am a planner. I had a stellar, very competitive application for the other specialty I was considering. Now, I feel like I have no time to pull together an ortho focused application. I don't even know where to start.

Female--I know it is a male dominated field so not sure how this impacts the process.
Preclinical years: 1 H, 2 near Honors, the rest passes
Step 1: 233
Clinical: H psych, HP neuro, P family med and IM, still have ortho, peds, ob/gyn and surg to do well on
Research: 5 publications, microbiology, cancer and psychosomatic related with applications to fatigue and sleep; nothing ortho related
Managed a lab throughout medical school
On track for distinctions in research and teaching = plan for an academic career
Lots of volunteer and leadership positions during medical school

Members don't see this ad.

It is going to be tough to get interviews with your application. Most programs get 100 apps per spot and interview the top 10% of applicants. They are looking for high Step 1 (Average for matched applicants this year is 245) and many honors, especially in medicine and surgery. You will want to maximize your away rotations at realistic places (state/community programs) and get great letters. You may need to take an extra year for research/extra aways.