M3... fell asleep in lecture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this would be really bad if you're interested in surgery... happened to a friend. Apparently some of the residents noticed and were laughing about it and got the impression that he's "lazy". Just wondering if I should say something, or just keep my mouth shut. Is it that big of a deal?

Members don't see this ad.

What purpose would telling your friend serve?

If your friend was post-call, falling asleep in lecture is not uncommon and yes, probably would encourage some laughter. We used to laugh at the students falling asleep all the time in our 5 pm M&M; I don't recall for a minute seriously considering these guys lazy (since they had been up for 36 hrs or so by then).

But if he/she wasn't post call and just couldn't handle the hours in surgery and the residents really did think he was lazy, then I'm not sure how telling him would help. What more could he do to prove he isn't (assuming your friend isn't really lazy and is working as hard as humanely possible)?

Besides, it would probably make him feel uncomfortable.

Just wondering if this would be really bad if you're interested in surgery... happened to a friend. Apparently some of the residents noticed and were laughing about it and got the impression that he's "lazy". Just wondering if I should say something, or just keep my mouth shut. Is it that big of a deal?

I don't think so. I think as long as you are a hard worker in other aspects nobody is going to think you're lazy for falling asleep in lecture. I regularly sit way in the back and snooze during M&M and subsequent "conferences" where some expert drones on for hours about his research, I intentionally avoid coffee in these situations so that Im more likely to fall asleep. Its just good time management: I don't learn well from lectures, I'm tired, if I sleep through lecture im awake enough to read when i get out of the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I wouldn't advocate purposefully falling asleep in conferences, it happens to lots of people (attendings included- our trauma fellow snores). Usually what we do is either wake the student up (or get one of their friends to do it), and tell them to step outside for a few minutes. No one would notice if they took 5 to collect themselves/grab a coke etc.

While I wouldn't advocate purposefully falling asleep in conferences, it happens to lots of people (attendings included- our trauma fellow snores). Usually what we do is either wake the student up (or get one of their friends to do it), and tell them to step outside for a few minutes. No one would notice if they took 5 to collect themselves/grab a coke etc.
we have a prelim intern who i swear has narcolepsy!
he falls asleep everywhere!!
all conferences and lectures
even during checkout???
i almost thought he fell asleep in the OR once, but he really was just not interested
he wants to do NS

I've seen more than one overworked resident fall asleep in the OR...especially when holding hook or driving the lap camera.

My med school did not advocate the 80-hour rule for its med students. As a result, I would occasionally doze off during our required lectures when I was post call (I was not alone; why they held them from 2-5 pm is beyond me). The lecturer just found the sleeping student, called on him or her to answer a question and then moved on, the point made. It never made it into any of our letters of rec and we had about 12 people match into general surgery.

IMHO, it would be the unusual student who is actually working hard that doesn't fall asleep once in a while during a lecture. Ideally, this would be a big group lecture and not a 1 on 2 or 1 on 3 lecture (which happens as well). I once dozed off while changing someone else's slides for them (back before there was powerpoint), needless to say, I took a little grief from that. But I survived and got good evals. Basically, falling asleep probably reinforces whatever someone's initial opinion was. Previously thought was lazy... super lazy, hard worker... it's ok to doze off, she's a hard worker...

Fair? not necessarily, human? yes.

I too have fallen asleep - at least two occasions I can recall, both as interns.

Once post call, with the "opportunity" to assist in an afternoon lap Nissen, sitting on a stool, holding the liver retractor. Apparently I ruined the case when I feel asleep and let the liver drop.:rolleyes:

Second time was doing a vascular case with the fellow and the attending, can't remember what, but I am told I let my head fall onto the attending's shoulder! He told a joke about it at my Chief's dinner.:laugh:

Moral of the story: it happens. Most people don't think its a big deal but it can reinforce negative assumptions about your friend if they are in place already.

...I was not alone; why they held them from 2-5 pm is beyond me...
That's just cruel and unusual!

In my extremely limited experience, it's not a big deal to doze off in lecture if you're a hard worker and otherwise liked by the team. However if you're a slacker and a PITA for the rest of the team, it will be yet another nail in the coffin that you're building.

That's just cruel and unusual!

In my extremely limited experience, it's not a big deal to doze off in lecture if you're a hard worker and otherwise liked by the team. However if you're a slacker and a PITA for the rest of the team, it will be yet another nail in the coffin that you're building.

Yep...that's the key. If you're liked, you'll endure some good natured ribbing about it. If not, it will be another reason for the residents and faculty to disdain you.