M3 Rad Onc questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike Hsie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm an M3 with a few questions about matching and what I can do if I don't:

1) What months do interviews usually happen? I've been told that they are earlier than most.

2) I'm looking for back up plans in case I do not match. I've read that some people on the forum have taken a year after not matching and been able to come back. Any suggestions?

3) I'm thinking about year-long research programs as a back up plan. Where, other than my Student Affairs Office, can I look for opportunities?

Thanks,
Mike

Members don't see this ad.

1) What months do interviews usually happen? I've been told that they are earlier than most.

interviews usually occur in nov/dec/jan. very few occur in october, but the majority in dec/jan.

2) I'm looking for back up plans in case I do not match. I've read that some people on the forum have taken a year after not matching and been able to come back. Any suggestions?

i would do a prelim year in medicine at an academic center with a radonc residency program affiliated with your hospital. i would not recommend a transitional year or a prelim med year at a community hospital. i didnt match last year as a med student and i am doing a prelim year at a univ hospital. i did 2 radonc electives, one affiliated with my hospital, and one away rotation. radonc programs were impressed that i took the initiative to do a academic med year and that i was able to do 2 electives. i ended up matching this year. however, if i didnt match, i would have stayed in medicine at my univ program, making it easier to get a fellowship position. if you do a transitional/prelim comm year its harder to stay in medicine if you do not match again.

3) I'm thinking about year-long research programs as a back up plan. Where, other than my Student Affairs Office, can I look for opportunities?

nih, ama, amsa, web

RadOnc, if you will be finishing your prelim year in june, and just matched this year to radiation oncology, what will you be doing next year while you are waiting to start your radiation oncology training in 2004?