M4: where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Izzyman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm an M4.

Step 1 230s
Step 2 240s

I have passed all my rotations (we don't have honor system) and my rotation evals are average
Don't have much in leadership/activities.
I am involved in 2 quality improvement research projects. One of them is Anesthesia related.
1 Department med letter (generic), hoping for 2 solid Anesthesia letters from my base hospital rotations (no residency there though)

One red flag I may have .....Our 3rd year has monthly modules independent of our rotations. I ended up not passing one of those modules. Anyways I will have to repeat it in 4th year, this goes on my record. I have figured out and put into action how to combat the issue I had for the future.

I'd like to stay in the Midwest since I have family here. But I also don't mind going to Texas or Massachusetts since I have family there as well.

What are my chances, where should I apply, and how many programs?

I really appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your scores are fine to get you into a good middle of the road residency program. The top 10 types are likely beyond your reach and you will have to explain why you failed a module. Since most schools don't work in that fashion it will be a talking point at interviews. Choose 30-40 programs and apply. Midwest programs are typically not as desirable for location. Also, being a DO may hurt in some places, but you can't change that and it is in your best interest to own it and be proud of it. Saying 30-40 applications may be overkill, but you never know exactly how things will be perceived, and you are better off over applying and turning down interviews than to under apply and be limited. As to the "where" should you apply, that's completely up to you. There aren't too many Midwest programs that you wouldn't have at least a shot at. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Read around the 50 other M4 applying where do I go threads for details on tiers, if it makes you feel better. It doesn't really matter as you've hit them all in the Midwest - just go on interviews and see what program is a good fit for you, don't pay much mind to "tier"