M4 who matched EM. Rosh Review advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteoQuack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an M4 who recently matched EM. I was wondering what everyone thought about doing some Rosh Review Questions to tune me up before I start residency in July. My question, is would it be better to do the Rosh Review for the "M4 EM Shelf Exam" or the Rosh Review for the "Resident in training" questions?

Will the Resident in training questions be beyond my scope? Will the EM shelf questions be too elementary? I have not tried either of these banks, so I do not know much about the questions. All I know is that I have to select one or the other before I purchase my plan, as they are totally separate packages. Also, do you think Rosh Review is a good idea for preparation or do you have any other suggestions in mind? Im not trying to be a gunner by any means, I just have that "I don't know anything and will be embarrassed when I actually get to residency" complex that a lot of M4's have. Imposter syndrome.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I would spend time on EM blogs, i.e. EmCrit, Amal Mattu's EKG's, etc.

This would be high yield for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I would spend time on EM blogs, i.e. EmCrit, Amal Mattu's EKG's, etc.

This would be high yield for you.

Disagree with the blog idea. Those are good for wasting a few minutes before check-out, otherwise imo they aren't too valuable, at least when you're just starting out.

Rosh is a godsend. Get the resident package and go to town. The questions are great, the explanations even better, and they will definitely tune up your knowledge on a broad array of bread and butter EM. (I have no affiliation with Rosh, just a fan)

It's not too early to start reading Tintinalli's. If you have the drive, I say do it. At this point, it's not about being a gunner, it's about getting the most out of your training, and you will get much more out of it if you come to shifts with a good fund of knowledge.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
*Double post

Last edited:
Disagree with the blog idea. Those are good for wasting a few minutes before check-out, otherwise imo they aren't too valuable, at least when you're just starting out.

Rosh is a godsend. Get the resident package and go to town. The questions are great, the explanations even better, and they will definitely tune up your knowledge on a broad array of bread and butter EM. (I have no affiliation with Rosh, just a fan)

It's not too early to start reading Tintinalli's. If you have the drive, I say do it. At this point, it's not about being a gunner, it's about getting the most out of your training, and you will get much more out of it if you come to shifts with a good fund of knowledge.
Second the blog idea. Avoid them for now. Get the core concepts down (e.g. what you'll be tested on) & figure out your style before coopting someone else's.

Rosh is awesome. Wish I had or during residency; that said, several programs (mine included) pay for it on behalf of the residents. So, before buying yourself, ask the PD if this is something they do.

Truthfully though, noone expects nuanced brilliance from day 1. If you absolutely *must* pick up a medical book (for more than just moving), read Mattu's EKG and your ACLS algorithms.

Good luck & congrats!
-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Reactions: 1 users
Get some sleep. No point in sprinting before the race starts. If you're absolutely bored to tears then yeah rosh review is good. Em hippo is good too for getting core concepts down as well. Both have resident prices.

Welcome to the club.

Reactions: 4 users
Or if you're in the camp who likes reading about this stuff, I suppose you could both sleep... and read. Just a thought. He's an MS4, he has 24 hours a day to fill.

Or if you're in the camp who likes reading about this stuff, I suppose you could both sleep... and read. Just a thought. He's an MS4, he has 24 hours a day to fill.

My days are so medicine free and lovely. Maybe I'm in the wrong field

You should delete that post before it haunts you in 5 years.

I keed.

Also just some color commentary don't take any offense but you have 6300 posts in 2 years, how free of medicine could your days really be Psai? ;)

Can someone tell me what the board schedule is like in EM residency? Is it like med school where we do Step 1 around 3rd year then Step 2 towards early fourth year? I'm confused....

Can someone tell me what the board schedule is like in EM residency? Is it like med school where we do Step 1 around 3rd year then Step 2 towards early fourth year? I'm confused....

You take in-service exams yearly... I think in like Jan or February if I remember correctly. These scores don't count necessarily, but your PD and faculty see them, so if you are way below the mean, then that's not good for you. Also, you should show an upward trend of your scores.

As for the EM boards, you are eligible to take them after you finish EM residency, and have five years to take them.

Hello all,

I am an M4 who recently matched EM. I was wondering what everyone thought about doing some Rosh Review Questions to tune me up before I start residency in July. My question, is would it be better to do the Rosh Review for the "M4 EM Shelf Exam" or the Rosh Review for the "Resident in training" questions?

Will the Resident in training questions be beyond my scope? Will the EM shelf questions be too elementary? I have not tried either of these banks, so I do not know much about the questions. All I know is that I have to select one or the other before I purchase my plan, as they are totally separate packages. Also, do you think Rosh Review is a good idea for preparation or do you have any other suggestions in mind? Im not trying to be a gunner by any means, I just have that "I don't know anything and will be embarrassed when I actually get to residency" complex that a lot of M4's have. Imposter syndrome.

Thanks for any and all advice!

No one expects you to know very much when you first start. They only expect you to be able to learn and to be teachable.

We were all interns on the 1st of July once. You will be amazed at how fast you get up to speed.

The above posters make a great point. You are now at the point in your career where you are not learning to impress anybody else, you are learning so that you can do the job you are training for. It is a big step into a larger world.

Med school was the minor leagues, welcome to the show.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely do not study, drink beer, play video games, travel, workout, anything but study, this is the best free time you are going to have for awhile. Enjoy it.

Reactions: 3 users
If you spend the next few months of freedom doing Rosh Review questions, I will hunt you down just to punch you in the nuts.

Please, please, please, enjoy this time and come ready to start residency refreshed.
Your intern year will likely be one of the most challenging of your life.
Do not come into it already burned out.

If you really have to do something, which I discourage, pick a few chief complaints and try to learn the standard workup.
I'd recommend the chapters in Rosen's.
If you understand how to really evaluate CP, abd pain, headache, SOB, you will be miles ahead of the game.

Reactions: 7 users
M4 who just matched as well. I plan to read Tintinalli's supplemented with Rosen's book cover to cover. I will do Rosh Review questions every night. I also have Step 3 Uworld and plan to go through that 7 times. I'll be listing to EMcrit podcasts while I'm sleeping, because I can passively absorb it. Is this enough? or should I buy another book?

M4 who just matched as well. I plan to read Tintinalli's supplemented with Rosen's book cover to cover. I will do Rosh Review questions every night. I also have Step 3 Uworld and plan to go through that 7 times. I'll be listing to EMcrit podcasts while I'm sleeping, because I can passively absorb it. Is this enough? or should I buy another book?

You forgot a study resource for showering.

I think at least 8 times is bare minimum.

Sigh....Uworld 8 times. How the hell does someone study in the shower? please share, because this is wasted time, I tell ya!

Oh dear lord, cramming to study for the start of residency?!? SDN and its high achievers.... wow!

I do like Rosh though. We have bought a subscription for all of our residents the last few years. By this point though, they already know all of the answers because they've done all the questions. We'll probably switch to something else next year, then come back to Rosh in a year or two.

Enjoy the next few months. There is plenty of time, and your EM boards are almost 4 years away. Stop studying, take some time off where you can, and start gearing up.

If you do want to read something just to be more prepared, the "bouncebacks" books are great. So is the "EM pitfalls" by Amal Mattu. They'll be a good refresher and are easy reads while teaching you to avoid common EM mistakes.

No one expects you to know very much when you first start. They only expect you to be able to learn and to be teachable.

We were all interns on the 1st of July once. You will be amazed at how fast you get up to speed.

The above posters make a great point. You are now at the point in your career where you are not learning to impress anybody else, you are learning so that you can do the job you are training for. It is a big step into a larger world.

Med school was the minor leagues, welcome to the show.

This is refreshing to hear.

Please, please, please, enjoy this time and come ready to start residency refreshed.
Your intern year will likely be one of the most challenging of your life.
Do not come into it already burned out.

There is no reason in the world to study between the time you take Step 2 and the time you become a resident. Enjoy the few months of nothingness and then take on residency like it's a job.

Before residency, I did not pick up a book until it started. During residency, I picked up books when I was told to or had to read up on something. You will learn everything needed during residency.

I would say read here to learn the business side of medicine. Medical side, don't sweat it

The biggest problem is that you don't know what to study yet, so pre reading will be low yield. You probably won't really know what you need to study till the end of first year. Just enjoy your time off residency goes by really fast.

The biggest problem is that you don't know what to study yet, so pre reading will be low yield. You probably won't really know what you need to study till the end of first year. Just enjoy your time off residency goes by really fast.
This is the exact same advice we tell every upcoming medical student. It seems like the neurotic cycle continues.

So are you saying I should go ahead and reread all of Rosen's a third time before June? I mean I have this short vacation planned... But maybe I need to spend it on Rosh + Rosen's.

Also just some color commentary don't take any offense but you have 6300 posts in 2 years, how free of medicine could your days really be Psai? ;)

:happy:

Nice try gunner, I'm already 2/3 through rosen in your face

Learn how to read EKGs. "The Art of Interpretation" is a great book.

Aside from that drink beer, go on vacation, play some nintendo 64. Honestly.

:happy:

Nice try gunner, I'm already 2/3 through rosen in your face

I read it FIVE times by "first day". Pffft. My penis is also as big as an aircraft carrier.

(Lolz. I have never read Tintinalli or Rosen... my program bought BOTH for us. I sold Rosen for an extra $275 during intern year. Will probably sell TinTin here soon).

Oh dear lord, cramming to study for the start of residency?!? SDN and its high achievers.... wow!

I do like Rosh though. We have bought a subscription for all of our residents the last few years. By this point though, they already know all of the answers because they've done all the questions. We'll probably switch to something else next year, then come back to Rosh in a year or two.

Enjoy the next few months. There is plenty of time, and your EM boards are almost 4 years away. Stop studying, take some time off where you can, and start gearing up.

If you do want to read something just to be more prepared, the "bouncebacks" books are great. So is the "EM pitfalls" by Amal Mattu. They'll be a good refresher and are easy reads while teaching you to avoid common EM mistakes.

I am pretty sure the Rosh Qbank gets updated each academic year with new content.