M4s - how are you feeling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dadocca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have been so excited for match, as I'm sure we all are. But... as I have all this free time now, I wish I didn't spend so much of it reading things like "future of anesthesiology" and some threads by some of the attendings here.

Everything is so doom and gloom that it turned my months of joy and excitement into constant depression. I worked hard in hopes of matching at a great program but now I feel like no matter what the final result is, I'll just sit there and feel like what's there to be happy about?

In short, I feel like I'll be on the Titanic, only after it crashed into the iceberg. Anyone else feel like this? How are you dealing with it? I want to hear from other applicants and if a resident or (preferably optomistic) attending has a word to add please do. This is not how I want to feel on Match week :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm only an MS3 but definitely feel your frustration. I feel like anesthesiology is the only good fit for me but it is damn depressing to hear about attendings talk about the future like the sky is falling. With that said, I've only ever heard this kind of doom and gloom on the internet. In real life, the anesthesiologists I've talked to painted a much rosier picture of loving their jobs and being well compensated for it. We can only hope this is the case for our careers. One thing I'm sure of is that an MD will never be paid less than a CRNA and CRNAs already make a hell of a lot of $ and work far fewer hours than MDs.

I can't see myself doing any other specialty and enjoying it so I'm hanging my hat on that and will simply hope for the best going forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm only an MS3 but definitely feel your frustration. I feel like anesthesiology is the only good fit for me but it is damn depressing to hear about attendings talk about the future like the sky is falling. With that said, I've only ever heard this kind of doom and gloom on the internet. In real life, the anesthesiologists I've talked to painted a much rosier picture of loving their jobs and being well compensated for it. We can only hope this is the case for our careers. One thing I'm sure of is that an MD will never be paid less than a CRNA and CRNAs already make a hell of a lot of $ and work far fewer hours than MDs.

I can't see myself doing any other specialty and enjoying it so I'm hanging my hat on that and will simply hope for the best going forward.

Exactly how I felt this time last year. I know that I would like the work more than any other specialty. I also remember that anesthesiologists that I worked with seemed A LOT happier than what I hear on SDN. But now I wonder if they were just putting up a facade because it's a lot harder to tell someone directly to their face "run away" than to mass send it anonymously over the net. I met many awesome residents along the way and very bright applicants, who I would be thrilled to work with. I know we all have our reasons for choosing this field but I wonder if we are all just going in hoping for the best but entirely naive of reality. It's the worst feeling and worst time to feel it.

Last edited:
Also an M4 and honestly I feel pretty good about my decision. I'm excited about Match day as I feel like the "doom and gloom" is only present here. This is definitely an uncertain time for medicine, across the board. But I chose anesthesiology because I truly love it. Yes, money is nice and all but I know I won't starve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

As an MS4, I appreciate people like Blade who share their knowledge. I'd rather not be naive about the real world.

As an MS4, I appreciate people like Blade who share their knowledge. I'd rather not be naive about the real world.
So then are you still looking forward to Match and why?

There's no reason for doom and gloom but you need to have realistic expectations. We will all have more hands in our pockets going forward. We will still make a decent income. Your classmates matching peds and FP are looking forward to match day. Being a doctor is still a good career.

There's no reason for doom and gloom but you need to have realistic expectations. We will all have more hands in our pockets going forward. We will still make a decent income. Your classmates matching peds and FP are looking forward to match day. Being a doctor is still a good career.

Keep telling yourself that. Obamacare/CMS is out to slash your salaries every year and the hospitals will only hire CRNAs to make a profit. You will have to supervise 6 airheads at the same time. The public will hate you because all doctors care about is money. Lawyers will be on the hunt for you esp. since the idiots at AMA didn't do anything when Obumacare was implemented. Medicine will never be the same.

J/K. Or am I?

with NPs being able to do most of the routine stuff in peds and family...and minute clinics.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304834704579400962328393876
ehhhh

basically this was one of the worst career choices.

anesthesia's for me because i like physio, and i don't like dealing with all the crap our system has created. even w/ a pay cut, i'll still be most happy here. not sure if i could've been happier w/ a different career choice though..

Hey everyone! I have been so excited for match, as I'm sure we all are. But... as I have all this free time now, I wish I didn't spend so much of it reading things like "future of anesthesiology" and some threads by some of the attendings here.

Everything is so doom and gloom that it turned my months of joy and excitement into constant depression. I worked hard in hopes of matching at a great program but now I feel like no matter what the final result is, I'll just sit there and feel like what's there to be happy about?

In short, I feel like I'll be on the Titanic, only after it crashed into the iceberg. Anyone else feel like this? How are you dealing with it? I want to hear from other applicants and if a resident or (preferably optomistic) attending has a word to add please do. This is not how I want to feel on Match week :(

You should enjoy match week. Relax. Drink down a few and celebrate. You aren't on the titanic but rather a three hour cruise on the S.S. Minnow.
The island of anesthesia awaits you.

Reactions: 3 users
You should enjoy match week. Relax. Drink down a few and celebrate. You aren't on the titanic but rather a three hour cruise on the S.S. Minnow.
The island of anesthesia awaits you.
Yeah, except The Skipper, The Millionaire, and Gilligan form a gang so they can take 75% of the resources of the Island and the rest of the passengers get the remaining 25%. Hopefully the Island's bounty stays plentiful so a share of the remaining 25% allows a decent life. Either way, the Skipper, Millionaire, and Gilligan are a-holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes of course.

Why? I'm crossing a significant career hurdle, getting an MD, and finally getting a paycheck.

I'm going to learn valuable skills in anesthesiology residency... people will need anesthesia and critical care for the foreseeable future. I still think anesthesia training is a sound investment in myself. Political landscapes and market forces change and are hard to predict. Did you give up entirely on real estate and the US stock market during the recent crashes?

I appreciate the real talk (doom and gloom?) from the attendings here... It's good to know but it doesn't mean I should immediately freak out and give up on any hope of having a good life.

Great attitude. But, you need to manage your expectations. As long as you can live like a PGY-8 while earning an attending salary the debt/earnings will be quite manageable. If you do that for 3-5 years then you can save a very nice nest egg/F.U. Account

Unfortunately, it will take a few years post residency to live an attending lifestyle

M4s.. since im not getting much help in the USMLE forum..and I need to schedule today: I would like to take step 2 CK early so that it will be on my app to try to increase my anesthesia interviews, anyone know how late I can take my exam and still have the results available to all of the schools? I plan on taking it aug 18-23 sometime, is that enough time? thanks

M4s.. since im not getting much help in the USMLE forum..and I need to schedule today: I would like to take step 2 CK early so that it will be on my app to try to increase my anesthesia interviews, anyone know how late I can take my exam and still have the results available to all of the schools? I plan on taking it aug 18-23 sometime, is that enough time? thanks
Unless there's a delay you can expect 3-4 weeks from when you take it. So it might come in a bit after applications start, should not make too big of a difference though.

If you take it then, it comes out the week after ERAS opens. Whether it will play a difference in getting interviews because you dont have it when ERAS opens IDK.

These guys are already established. So things are different for them than they will be for us. Im sure most of them weren't strapped with as much debt as we are and with the high interest rates we have as well. Many of them had the option of ownership as well, while most of us are staring the employment model in the face.Those are some huge differences. As far as how bad it could possibly get? Who knows, but like you lets hope for the best

These guys are already established. So things are different for them than they will be for us. Im sure most of them weren't strapped with as much debt as we are and with the high interest rates we have as well. Many of them had the option of ownership as well, while most of us are staring the employment model in the face.Those are some huge differences. As far as how bad it could possibly get? Who knows, but like you lets hope for the best

I'm glad you understand the issues. Your post shows you may indeed be prepared for a career in Anesthesiology.

I'm glad you understand the issues. Your post shows you may indeed be prepared for a career in Anesthesiology.

you guys have real world experience on your side. We as medical students are sheltered from what goes on in the private world. The environment in academics makes it seem as though the doom and gloom here is unwarranted, but with as many people here giving us their input it cant be unwarranted.

I am feeling stellar because I matched :)

Reactions: 3 users
does the NMRP show how many open spots anesthesia has?

Yes this is under the SOAP tab after you log in to NRMP. There are 37 open positions across the country this year.

Yes this is under the SOAP tab after you log in to NRMP. There are 37 open positions across the country this year.

thanks! im an M3 so I was just interested in the info. anyone know if 37 is more or less the same as previous years?

thanks! im an M3 so I was just interested in the info. anyone know if 37 is more or less the same as previous years?
Someone actually posted a list of the programs and unfilled spots at those programs.

Don't do that.

Edit:
Categorical Spots Last Year: 33
Advanced Spots: 18

Yeah, seem to be a lot of empty spots out there.

And it's against NRMP rules to send out the unfilled program list, you can get into serious trouble for that.
That's 33 spots nationwide?

That's 33 spots nationwide?
37 Categorical and 33 Advanced. So 70 spots out of 1662 spots nationwide.

Majority of those seem to be in the Northeastern region and then the Central region.

For the record, these are statistics in the regional results available to everybody. As far as I know, there's no problem with disseminating that info.

37 Categorical and 33 Advanced. So 70 spots out of 1662 spots nationwide.

Majority of those seem to be in the Northeastern region and then the Central region.

For the record, these are statistics in the regional results available to everybody. As far as I know, there's no problem with disseminating that info.

there were 62 unfilled spots last year for anyone wondering, not too much of a difference. 44 PGY1 and 18 PGY2.

You better learn to embrace it, friend. The future of medicine is bleak and that of anesthesiology is just dismal. Lower pay, more work, employee of a hospital or AMC, even LESS respect, just to name a few. The only thing that makes anesthesia worthwhile is the income, and that is gone.

You better learn to embrace it, friend. The future of medicine is bleak and that of anesthesiology is just dismal. Lower pay, more work, employee of a hospital or AMC, even LESS respect, just to name a few. The only thing that makes anesthesia worthwhile is the income, and that is gone.

Give it a rest already. We all get it, you may hate your life and want to do things differently. But these types of threads are meant to be a celebration for our young budding anesthesiologists, who have heeded your advice yet still aspire to join this field for reasons more than just money and lifestyle. Please, take your miserable attitude elsewhere.

And a big congratulations to all those who matched today!

Reactions: 10 users
you guys have real world experience on your side. We as medical students are sheltered from what goes on in the private world. The environment in academics makes it seem as though the doom and gloom here is unwarranted, but with as many people here giving us their input it cant be unwarranted.
Most in academics don't have a handle on what is going on in PP (with the exception of Texas Tech)

feel great now; even though i ranked 15 programs felt very very nervous the past few days especially this morning. Was nice to get that email at 11:55 and realize that all the hard work, all the traveling had paid off. My heart really goes out for those that did not match, the whole application cycle is a truly brutal marathon

I'm in academics so I certainly don't have all the answers on what is happening in private practice. I want you all to be happy you matched into anesthesia - it's a wonderful specialty and there is lots to look forward to. I think you should educate yourselves on the issues and talk to your politicians (it takes time and sometimes it is frustrating but that is the only way you are going to change things). Also, educate the public.

The field of anesthesia is changing, like all of medicine. We will all be forced to make changes in our lives. The medicine is still the same (and getting better if you ask me). Not all nurses want to take your job … some of them actually appreciate the knowledge and skills you add (the really good ones at least). Yes, you may not be making ridiculous salaries but you probably will make a decent living. You will probably have to budget a little more then our forefathers but you will still drive a nice car, have a nice house and likely be able to go on nice vacations. Be smart and don't extend yourself.

Now go out and celebrate. You have worked hard and you deserve it. Best of luck this week guys!

Reactions: 7 users
I feel pretty good, thank you. While it seems pretty likely that anesthesia will not yield the lifestyle and financial rewards that it did 10 years ago, I am not convinced that we should all prepare to eat rice out of a hubcap. If I'm wrong, whatever, I like rice. Seriously though, the field isn't static. We as a species haven't learned all there is about the science of anesthesia, for instance. Who is going to advance the science? Probably not the CRNAs.

Life is work, get used to it. Nothing is a sure thing, and you will always have to hustle, or be thinking creatively about how to get ahead.

Anesthesia is awesome. If nothing else, the next four years will be a great opportunity to learn something really really interesting. If it doesn't satisfy those golden dreams, there's always the Powerball.

I am glad there are a few unmatched spots, so that the people who didn't match this morning have another opportunity to get in this, if it is really what they want to do.

I feel pretty good, thank you. While it seems pretty likely that anesthesia will not yield the lifestyle and financial rewards that it did 10 years ago, I am not convinced that we should all prepare to eat rice out of a hubcap. If I'm wrong, whatever, I like rice. Seriously though, the field isn't static. We as a species haven't learned all there is about the science of anesthesia, for instance. Who is going to advance the science? Probably not the CRNAs.

Life is work, get used to it. Nothing is a sure thing, and you will always have to hustle, or be thinking creatively about how to get ahead.

Anesthesia is awesome. If nothing else, the next four years will be a great opportunity to learn something really really interesting. If it doesn't satisfy those golden dreams, there's always the Powerball.

I am glad there are a few unmatched spots, so that the people who didn't match this morning have another opportunity to get in this, if it is really what they want to do.

The Glass is still Half Full. This means you will get a good job earning very good money. The problem some have with "half full" is that just a decade ago the glass was overflowing to the top. Hence, we see it as "half empty" now. The posts about the field are true but viewed from that half empty perspective.

However, to a thirsty med student half full will still seem quite good and will quench your thirst. I hope you relax and enjoy the rest of your time before PGY-1 year in July. Good luck.

Reactions: 6 users
To Blade MDA: Thank you. By the way, I appreciate all of the candid advice that you post here. Half empty or half full, it always seems genuine and pretty well thought out. Perspectives like yours make this forum a good resource. My thanks to you, and to the others who post here with helpful advice.

This. Wise young Paduan. Those who feel entitled and want to coast get what they deserve.