MA Clinical Licensing VS MA+PhD Track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ettevi05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really didn't find a thread pertaining to this subject but I really would like some help. This year was my first time applying to graduate school. I essentially want to work with behavioral/learning disorders in underrepresented populations. I applied to all PhD (counseling+clinical) programs except one, that is a Masters in Clinical Psy with License (thinking if I got a license it would be easier for me to work and complete a PhD at the same time, that is if I go to the same state for school). I thought that by picking a program like this (anticipating my credits would not transfer, but I would get a license), it could make my application look stronger for a PhD program elsewhere due to the practicum experience and training. The thing is I still have to hear about 4 PhD programs, and I am waitlisted in the MA program.
I have noticed a lot of you have posted about denying offers of the MA programs from your top schools since you applied for the PhD track, and my question is why? Is it because of credit transfer issues, or money? Will going to an MA program hurt your chances to get into a well-funded research program later? Is it a bad choice to settle with an MA program if I am offered the opportunity or should I try next year for a PhD track again? I appreciate you taking the time to read this, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am new to this forum, but I suspect this has probably been covered before . . . it can be a long answer . . . any mods/members out there remember any particularly informative threads about this topic?

The one closest to, that I could find is this one here still reading up on it though and see if my question could be answered there.

Many MA/MS programs are used by universities to defray the cost of their doctoral programs bc they are full tuition/no funding, particularly terminal degree programs. They are pitched as 'a great alternative', but unless they have a matriculation option and/or track record of placing their students into other doctoral programs....they are basically trying to fill a seat in a more profitable program. This is less/not true for many research focused degrees, but those can be just as competitive as doctoral programs, particularly if there is some funding.