MA General Psychology Degree + Business/IO courses v. MA Industrial Organization Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick Question For All,

I am currently a Graduate Student at Fairleigh Dickinson University gaining a general Masters degree in Psychology. My program has an extensive Psychology department, and I am interested in a career in Industrial Organizational Psychology, however due to geographical restrictions I was not able to commit to their Industrial Organization department. I guess my question here is would I be competitive with a General Psychology degree with courses taken in Business Management and Industrial Organization but not have the full Industrial Organization degree?

The reason why I am asking is because I am 1/3 of the way finished with my degree and I want to graduate next Spring (2017), and I am also working full time. I know that Industrial Organization is a more specified kind of psychology, but with my business related graduate courses, my general psychology courses and the Industrial courses I will be taking would that supplement my experience/education in Industrial Organization?

Will I be competitive enough in the space or would this hold me back? Must I have to have that specific degree to be successful in the field?

Members don't see this ad.

I would stay immediately try to get a job in HR ASAP and do a part time masters in i/o. Most I/O people work in HR.