MA in Counseling or PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jane Eyre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the two degrees and am really not sure which option is right for me. I have already been accepted into a Psy.D. program and a Counseling MA program. (did not get accepted into any Ph.D.'s.) I want to be a "dr" because of how good it feels to achieve and come out on top, I like school and love achieving things/ challenging myself. At the same time, I am not sure if the doctorate is necessary for my professional goals. I want to work with people and issues in their lives. I don't think I am as interested in research, but it is important to the Psy.D.program I was accepted into. The program requires a dissertation, which does not appeal to me. I am not sure if I want to do assessment or not. I also have doubts about my time management skills, but I know I am capable as I earned a 3.8 in undergrad. I just feel that getting the masters is a step down since I have always said I would be a "psychologist" not a "counselor". I guess I never respected the counseling profession as much because it didn't involve going for the top. Since I worked so hard in high school and undergrad to be accepted into multiple Psyd programs, I feel it I would be letting myself down by not going for the gold. But is this a good reason to go to school for 5 years and have lots of debt and pretty much be able to do the same thing except for assessment? I got advice that I should think mostly about what I want to do professionally (just counsel (masters) or other things too like assessment (psyd), but I am really not sure.

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide between the two degrees and am really not sure which option is right for me. I have already been accepted into a Psy.D. program and a Counseling MA program. (did not get accepted into any Ph.D.'s.) I want to be a "dr" because of how good it feels to achieve and come out on top, I like school and love achieving things/ challenging myself. At the same time, I am not sure if the doctorate is necessary for my professional goals. I want to work with people and issues in their lives. I don't think I am as interested in research, but it is important to the Psy.D.program I was accepted into. The program requires a dissertation, which does not appeal to me. I am not sure if I want to do assessment or not. I also have doubts about my time management skills, but I know I am capable as I earned a 3.8 in undergrad. I just feel that getting the masters is a step down since I have always said I would be a "psychologist" not a "counselor". I guess I never respected the counseling profession as much because it didn't involve going for the top. Since I worked so hard in high school and undergrad to be accepted into multiple Psyd programs, I feel it I would be letting myself down by not going for the gold. But is this a good reason to go to school for 5 years and have lots of debt and pretty much be able to do the same thing except for assessment? I got advice that I should think mostly about what I want to do professionally (just counsel (masters) or other things too like assessment (psyd), but I am really not sure.

Thanks for any advice!

This pretty much sums up the advice you're going to get on this forum if you search similar threads: don't go for a Psy.D. solely because you want "Dr." in front of your name. You will be wasting time and money. If you're not into research, don't want to teach, don't care about testing (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "assessment") and just want to be a therapist, most Psy.D. programs are not worth it for the job prospects waiting for you at the end. Doctoral prestige be damned, especially if it doesn't guarantee better training. At the risk of starting another one of our famous Ph.D./Psy.D. flame wars, a Psy.D. title doesn't grant you a ton of prestige in the psychological field. These programs are typically less selective, and a lot of them aren't particularly rigorous -- there's a lot of variation in quality, though that's admittedly true of other degrees. You would probably be better off going to a selective master's program.

(Might want to look into clinical social work in addition to counseling if you haven't already ruled it out. We kind of own the job market. Not that it's all about money, but I got a job immediately after I graduated, as did much of my cohort.)

Reactions: 1 users
1. Listen to Qwerk :)
2. Glad to see you again Qwerk!!!!!
3. Congrats on your new job!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Listen to Qwerk :)
2. Glad to see you again Qwerk!!!!!
3. Congrats on your new job!

Thanks! I'm really excited about the job. I think this thread needs to be merged with the other one with the same question -- is there a button to alert the mods?

This pretty much sums up the advice you're going to get on this forum if you search similar threads: don't go for a Psy.D. solely because you want "Dr." in front of your name. You will be wasting time and money. If you're not into research, don't want to teach, don't care about testing (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "assessment") and just want to be a therapist, most Psy.D. programs are not worth it for the job prospects waiting for you at the end. Doctoral prestige be damned, especially if it doesn't guarantee better training. At the risk of starting another one of our famous Ph.D./Psy.D. flame wars, a Psy.D. title doesn't grant you a ton of prestige in the psychological field. These programs are typically less selective, and a lot of them aren't particularly rigorous -- there's a lot of variation in quality, though that's admittedly true of other degrees. You would probably be better off going to a selective master's program.

(Might want to look into clinical social work in addition to counseling if you haven't already ruled it out. We kind of own the job market. Not that it's all about money, but I got a job immediately after I graduated, as did much of my cohort.)

Your may be suprised to know that for persons interested in pursuing competency in a niche you can also achieve financial and professional success. I am an LCSW and I am the major provider of coaching for "disruptive physicians" in the nation.

Your may be suprised to know that for persons interested in pursuing competency in a niche you can also achieve financial and professional success. I am an LCSW and I am the major provider of coaching for "disruptive physicians" in the nation.
Well, when you start in the 80s prior to managed care and then make millions (according to your prior posts) then you might have a leg up. That may not represent a realistic outlook for others looking at their career options. Not sure if your posts are meant to encourage others or not.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can not articulate a real desire, much less a need to complete a doctorate, then you should NOT get one. Period.

Well, when you start in the 80s prior to managed care and then make millions (according to your prior posts) then you might have a leg up. That may not represent a realistic outlook for others looking at their career options. Not sure if your posts are meant to encourage others or not.

My niche in Emotional Intelligence for "disruptive physicians" actually began five years ago. There is no guarantee that everyone will succeed by specializing in a niche.

In these times, getting the MA to get knowledge of the field gives you time to decide whether to pursue a PhD in Counseling Psych...or go the LPC route. And the MSW has its own advantages. I just think the doctoral field is saturated so if there is any uncertainty about your long term goals, take the master's step first.

-sounds like you want to do mostly supportive counseling
-not interested in research
-not interested in assessment
-averse to a dissertation

It sounds like the only reason you want a doctorate is an irrational desire to "be the best," (whatever that means; strikes me as odd given that your present goal is far from a top-ranked funded program so I'm not sure where that or the disparagement of social-work-type stuff is coming from) and be called "dr" (probably one of the most nonsensical reasons to enroll in a doc program).

I'd suggest a masters, or, frankly, a different field.

Last edited:
Why did this thread from last July get bumped? Is someone interested in getting an answer to the OP's question? Confused.