MA in General Psychology: The New School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thereader01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about this program: MA in General psych from the New School? What I am really interested is their admission requirements. Information is given on the webpage regarding requirements once you are in the program (minimum GPA, courses, research, etc.) but so far I cannot find anything regarding what their requirements are to enter the program.
I am a senior Undergraduate at a reputable research University. I have very little psych background (two courses) and was wondering if this would be a good way to get research experience, take necessary courses, and maybe even practical experience so as to be a solid candidate for Psy.d and Ph.D programs. I was thinking that getting a masters would allow me to do all of these things with more convenience than taking courses on the side while working and volunteering for research labs. Not to mention getting some clinical experience. It seems more straightforward to get it all done at one place, as it were, than to try to do all these things on my own (I'm realizing how difficult the catch-up work will be given that I do not have a psych major in Undergrad).

Any information (especially admission requirements) on this Master program and others would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard very negative experiences from people who have been in this program. What I have been told is that to enter into the New School's Clinical PhD program you must go through that MA program. People have told me that this causes the culture of that program to be a very cutthroat competitive and uncomfortable environment.

They do have I think among the 5 highest acceptance rates of any clinical PhD in the country, but I have also heard the environment is toxic and the tuition plus cost of living will set you back more than a FSPP PsyD