MA in Gerontology...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heatherette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a little advice. I have an MA in Gerontology ('10). I was always told that it is a booming field and there will be a lot of opportunities. As I am looking for jobs, I noticed that most of the jobs I'm interested in want an MSW, LCSW, or even RN. I know that a Gerontology degree is a great thing to have, and I know the field will explode in a few years. The problem is....is an MA in Gerontology enough?? I am willing to go back to school, so I would like some advice on what other degree would compliment my MA.

I hear all the time that we need more PA, MSW, Nurses, MD that specializes in Geriatrics.
I have worked in the healthcare field and I really enjoyed it. I really like the idea of being a Geriatric PA or even being a LCSW. Either one of them would be excellent.

I just want to be more marketable because I know that our society will need more people that specialize in Gerontology. Will my MA be enough in the next 5-10 years?

Members don't see this ad.

The first question that springs to my mind is: what do you want to do? If providing some type of clinical service is what grabs your interest, then I'd imagine you'll need to go back for some type of additional training. The determination as to what type of training is made based on what type of clinical services you'd like to administer, although the degree programs that immediately spring to mind are those that you've mentioned (e.g., master's in social work or counseling, RN/NP, PA, MD, Ph.D./Psy.D.). If, as you say, PA or LCSW is the way you'd like to go, then start looking into training programs and pre-reqs for those degrees. I'd also ask yourself what about the two paths appeals to you, as they both offer fairly different packages of services.

I don't know much about gerontology degrees specifically, but I'd imagine it might not directly prepare you to do much other than perhaps some type of research; although again, I have no idea what types of classes you took or requirements you had in your degree program. If administration and policy with respect to the elderly population is more your thing, then you could always pair your current master's with an MPH (or equivalent).

My school quit offering the MA in Gerontology for this reason and instead now offers the MSW with a specialization in Gerongoloty. An MA in Gerontology is not enough, like you said.

A person with the MSW-GR is capable not only of working with older persons in a clinical setting, but also of doing administration, supervision, and other things. From what I've noticed the MSW-(fill in specialty) is more often hired than the MA in Specialty.

Does that make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend has a gerontology MA from USC in Los Angeles. She worked as a case manager for an agency that provides respite care to family members caring for their elders. She went back for an MSW because because she wanted to do counseling and therapy with her elders and conduct psychosocial assessments. I work for a senior program as a therapist. The program hires MSW's, MFT's, LCSW's, and LMFT's. Despite it being a gerontologically-focused program, we don't have graduate level gerontologists working for us. I have an MSW with a gerontology specialty. One of the program directors is a PsyD.

A side question: do you guys happen to know (or have you heard) if MSW-GRs make more money than other MSWs? Everyone in the GR program at my school seems to think so (and that's often the reason you'll hear that they're in the program), but I've found no hard support for that...

Everyone in the GR program at my school seems to think so (and that's often the reason you'll hear that they're in the program), but I've found no hard support for that...

Not because they have a special affinity for older adults? :rolleyes:

After a lot of thought, I decided to between MSW or MA counseling. I'm actually leaning towards MSW because I believe it will benefit me in my field. I have learned that MA Counseling route to be a LPC, has many problems with coverage for Medicare (it doesn't cover). An LCSW is covered though Medicare and TRICARE (VA insurance).

The curriculum and classes with MA Counseling is more to my liking plus, since I already have an MA in gerontology, a few credits with transfer over. Not for MSW.

Obviously, with an LPC, I can be licensed in ready to work once I graduate, but MSW I need two years of supervision.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I became a LPC, but if I still want to work with the elderly, I need to consider the fact that my clients will have Medicare and TRICARE. I can't bet them being able to have private insurance. Some do, but not all of them.

With the CMHC degree, you will not be licensed until you complete your post graduate supervised hours. You are right about reimbursement being easier with the MSW. I often hear that as a reason to become a LCSW. for me, I found the MSW curriculum boring. I knew I wanted to be a therapist and wanted hands on experience in theories, skills, and techniques of counseling in most of my classes. There were very few of my classes that didn't offer this hands on experience.

For what I am doing, private practice, the CMHC 60 credit CACREP accredited route was the best preparation to do psychotherapy.

YMMV

And tricare reimburses LPCs who graduated from a CACREP program.

That's good to know about TRICARE. I feel that the classes in the counseling program are a good fit for me. The social work classes seem boring. Honesty, I feel like both routes lead to private practice, which is what I want. I will admit that I have always wanted to work for the VA and they are more likely to hire MSW / LCSW. I have known a few people that went the MSW route and felt they knew nothing about counseling once they graduated.

I feel that MSW will open a couple more doors, but MA counseling, I'll probably learn more and it will prepare me better.

I have posted here before (see my previous posts) about my experience with the differences in training between the two degrees. (CMHC and MSW) If you go the LPC route - and think you want to work for the VA, you must go to a 60 hour program that is CACREP accredited. There are still some of the 48 hour programs around and there are lots of non CACREP programs - many of which are fine programs - and they are professional limiting.

You can send me a PM if you want more info.

I just went back and read your original post - and don't know if this helps - but I have a couple of friends who are BSWs and they work in Nursing homes/Assisted Living. They make great money with the BSW and although they don't do the same level of therapy that I do - their time is pretty evenly split between case management, discharge planning/getting resources and talking and listening to their patients.

I am not sure about how this works in other states, but in my area and the surrounding states, the BSW is very employable (not that you want to go that route - but others reading this thread who are considering grad school might find that an avenue to explore).

The BSW actually varies wildly. Some jurisdictions license them on varying levels, and some don't license them at all.

Honestly I would rather get an MSW than BSW, since I've already have a Masters degree. I also want to go into private practice in the future.

The MSW is the most versatile professional degree (in this field or any other) that I've seen. That can be very good, or very bad, depending on your viewpoint...

I believe professionally it will help a lot. Most of the jobs I see require an MSW or LCSW. I believe that in a few years the MA in Gerontology will be more valuable, but not as valuable as the MSW.