MA in Health Psych vs MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MA/MS in Health Psych vs Master of Public Health

• Master's Psych (Health)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MPH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NesaB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!!!

I'm new to this so I hope I'm positing this in the right place. I am a college graduate with a dual degree in Psychology and English Writing. I am currently researching graduate programs to apply to and am stuck between two paths: Master of Psychology with a concentration in health psych or behavioral medicine, and Master of Public Health.

I have been working in mental health for over two year now and am learning I am not as passionate about psychotherapy as I am about preventing illness and promoting health through psychological study and intervention. I wish to have flexibility in my career, the ability to work with individuals, groups, communities, hospitals, corporations, what have you. I am currently at a loss for which path I should pursue.

Also, I am interested in potentially obtaining a PhD after completing the Master's.

ANY THOUGHTS??? Anything would help.

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like health psychology would be a good fit for you, though your job options with an MA are pretty limited. A PhD in psychology would probably be the most versatile degree, though public health with a behavioral focus could fit too, depending on your specific interests.

Most PhD programs don't require a master's degree. Is there a specific reason why you wouldn't want to enter a doctoral program as your next step?