Mac vs. Dell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrdocta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I will be a D1 beginning this July and we are to choose between a Macbook Pro or a Dell Precision M3800.

I have not owned either brand before. Can anyone offer any insight about either one, which one they prefer, and if it meets your needs? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I will be a D1 beginning this July and we are to choose between a Macbook Pro or a Dell Precision M3800.

I have not owned either brand before. Can anyone offer any insight about either one, which one they prefer, and if it meets your needs? Appreciate it!
Ask if your school has a recommendation (they normally do). If you're somewhat tech savvy go for whatever you like if not go for the recommendation. I say this because there may be proprietary software that your school uses and they might not be able to provide as much assistance if you do not buy a recommended computer. Personally I'd go with a mac unless your school says otherwise. Reason being if you get apple care you can get it replaced pretty easily and the battery is pretty good for those long days where you won't be able to sit next to a plug. Windows are good, you can get cheap ones or really nice ones for even under the price of a similarly spec'd mac.

Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific. These 2 laptops are our only options. We have to pick one or the other. Each laptop will be set up specifically to meet the schools needs as done so by the school. I am not tech savvy at all. Price difference is ~$400 between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. I should have been more specific. These 2 laptops are our only options. We have to pick one or the other. Each laptop will be set up specifically to meet the schools needs as done so by the school. I am not tech savvy at all. Price difference is ~$400 between the two.

I presume you have used Windows or OSX before, are you more comfortable with one or the other? Both are sufficient to do everything that is needed for dental school. It really comes down to personal preference imo.

Reactions: 1 user
I presume you have used Windows or OSX before, are you more comfortable with one or the other? Both are sufficient to do everything that is needed for dental school. It really comes down to personal preference imo.
Windows- yes.
I'll go to the store to check them both out and see which one I like personally. Just seeing if anyone has any input about what they like/don't like about theirs.

I own a Dell desktop and a Macbook. I have to say that while I do use my desktop more, the Macbook is more reliable in my opinion. Doesn't have issues nearly as much as Windows does.

I have a Windows laptop that I leave at home and a macbook air that I carry around in my backpack. I use my Windows pc for entertainment and heavy lifting like programming, dreamweaver, etc. all hobbies in other words. I use my macbook air for when I'm in school and when I'm studying so about 80% of the time lol

Mac. laptop slows down dramatically after 2~3 years. Many of my classmates have macbooks that are old and works fine.

I would go with the Dell. Mac computers have proprietary components that may be more difficult to find and replace should something go wrong. Our IT department uses HPs exclusively because of this. They are able to find and replace components much more quickly and cheaper than Macs, to the point that they have fixed laptops that have fallen in swimming pools, dropped on the ground, etc. However, if the IT guys can provide the same level of service to Macs, then go with whichever you are most comfortable with.

If you go for Mac,
you'll be able to access 2 Operating systems in 1 system itself via boot camp option in Mac.
( you have to buy windows for that, 8.1 costs less than 100$)

I have the same (mac), and yup i found it better than just having windows.:thumbup:

If you go for Mac,
you'll be able to access 2 Operating systems in 1 system itself via boot camp option in Mac.
( you have to buy windows for that, 8.1 costs less than 100$)

I have the same (mac), and yup i found it better than just having windows.:thumbup:

You can do that with a pc also. Most PCs are also upgradable as far as installing more ram, graphics card etc..

You can do that with a pc also. Most PCs are also upgradable as far as installing more ram, graphics card etc..
But you cant get MAC OS and WINDOWS OS in single system...
unless you dont have Mac....

SCREW. DELL.

Screw Macs also. Overpriced computers. The MBP is probably the closest computer they have that is priced reasonably.

Like @Weakfart said, if you are tech savvy enough you can go with whatever you like. If you're not, then go with Macs, Apple Store is made for people who are computer illiterate. Less of a headache.

But if you're in the market for a windows laptop, look anywhere but Dell. Surface Pro line and Lenovo Yoga are probably some of the best laptops on the market atm.

But you cant get MAC OS and WINDOWS OS in single system...
unless you dont have Mac....

Are you familiar with virtual machines?