madibular 1st molar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydroxyappatite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
mandibular 1st molar outline is similar to
1.circle
2.square
3.hexagon
4.pentagon
5.hexagon
ans key:4 pentagon
shudnt it be hexagonal?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you know that a mandibular 1st molar has five cusp, therefore, when viewed from the occlusal, it has a pentagonal outline. I hope this helps.

well wheelers says hexagon........ dont know wat to believe........ the more i read the more confusing it gets

Members don't see this ad :)
Some books say hexagon, but most and I believe the boards consider it to be pentagon. It is very frustrating that text books can't seem to agree on the various aspects of teeth...guess it is just something that we have to deal with

Then the decks are wrong
i dont think the decks are wrong bcoz,kaplan notes give the same information for mandibular 1st molar ,i.e
faciolingual- trapezoidal
mesidistal- rhomboidal
crown profile-rhomboid
occlusal table-rectangular
most of the answers for the board questions depends on the choices of answer they give to pick from, i think we have to choose the nearest possible answer, like in these choices given, pentagonal is the nearest answer according to the no. of cusps present on mandibular 1st molar i.e. 5.most of the board papers have this q and answer to this is pentagonal,

To each their own, but if I come across that question and the choice is b/w pent and rect., I will likely pick pent. However, if rectangle is the best looking answer there I will pick it, certainly over hexagonal.