Maine Medical Center - Anesthesia Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a second year medical student considering anesthesiology. I was looking at some programs and came across this one and just wanted to find some feedback on what it is like,I found a previous thread but it is not too descriptive. How diverse is the caseload, what kind of cases do you see in a normal day? What is the biggest weakness of the program? How competitive is the program, what would be a competitive USMLE score? What is the biggest strength of the program?
I'm still somewhat new to studentdoctor so I hope asking these questions isn't considered inappropriate or stupid, I don't know the culture here yet.
Thanks for any help you can provide. If you'd like to PM me your description I'd read that too!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all!

I'm a second year medical student considering anesthesiology. I was looking at some programs and came across this one and just wanted to find out some feedback on what it is like, there is a previous thread but it is not too descriptive. How diverse is the caseload, what kind of cases do you see in a normal day? What is the biggest weakness of the program? How competitive is the program, what would be a competitive USMLE score? What is the biggest strength of the program?
I'm still somewhat new to studentdoctor so I hope asking these questions isn't considered inappropriate or stupid, I don't know the culture here very well yet.
Thanks for any help you can provide. If you'd like to PM me your description I'd read that too!

Your question is perfectly appropriate, and you get bonus points for searching for similar questions before posting. One of my med school classmates matched at MMC, he had good things to say about it, sorry I don't have the particulars.

Your question is perfectly appropriate, and you get bonus points for searching for similar questions before posting. One of my med school classmates matched at MMC, he had good things to say about it, sorry I don't have the particulars.

...and that would be me. BTW, nice to see you posting more.

Getting ready to move on, been occupied with other things like ahem...selling (maybe not) a house, two cars, moving 500 miles, etc., so haven't been checking in like I used to. Also, there are plenty of lurkers @MMC, but apparently they would rather tell me about the thread than respond themselves. CHUMPS.

Caseload: Pretty diverse. Tertiary referral for the state and then some, rarely if ever send 'em to Boston. Superb cardiac experience, minimally invasive valves, 8-900 pumps/yr. Frequent pedi hearts (if you like that kind of thing), which means we also see them 20 yrs later for non-cardiac or follow-up procedures. Typically 1-2 vascular rooms a day, 1-2 pedi rooms a day, 2-3 neuro rooms, 2-3 heart rooms, then all kinds of general, to be split amongst an average of 5-6 residents per day in the general OR. Thoracic surgeon does cases 2-3 days/week, usually goes to one resident. Kidney transplants, no others. Any given day, if I'm not in a case where I get lines or some learning experience, I'm disappointed. And I'll say I'm not frequently disappointed here.

Attendings rotate through outside hospitals where they do solo work, so they maintain their skills. Not too much academic dogma around here, actually a pretty good variety of clinical styles. Different styles between attendings gives us exposure to different techniques. There isn't a "Maine Med way". Most attendings spent some of their training in a Boston program, so they're well-read and connected.

Wouldn't consider the program to be "competitive" in the sense of certain USMLE scores, etc. There's a spectrum of people here, from below-av to above-av USMLE scores. Weakness used to be regional, but that has improved by leaps and bounds in 2 years, and is on the verge of being a great asset. Now, I would say didactics would be the biggest aspect to improve. We have some really great ones and some not-so-great, but overall this is improving, too. Just built a super simulation center, and have been working that into our training over the last year.

Summing it up, would say you get exposed to a wide variety of clinical cases early in your residency, and your education is focused more on practical ways to solve problems as well as efficiency. Surgical groups are mostly private practice, so turnover is important. Transition to PP is pretty smooth from what I hear. Last two classes have sent several to competitive fellowships. Connections around the country

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, thats YOU?! This IS a small world after all. Congrats on finishing up!
I was in the class below y'all... It's like a school reunion :D congrats on finishing up and best of luck in the real world!

Hey thanks for all the info. I appreciate all the feedback.

Do they accept foreign medical graduates? I ask because they don't list any ecfmg or visa requirements on their application page.

I just went up to Portland and loved it!

I am considering pain management, and alas, there is no pain management fellowship there. I would love to hear whether the residents feel like they have gotten adequate training in Pain to make them competitive for fellowships and whether/where residents have received Pain fellowships...

I was very impressed by Maine's program: excellent case numbers, good vibe from all residents/faculty I met, good private practice/fellowship placement, no weaknesses except for penetrating trauma. (Good thing is that you won't get penetrating trauma'd while living there, and the blunt traumas from skiers make up for it.) Faculty were very well trained--trained at the "bigger" names on the east coast and moved up to Portland to enjoy their lives. Because of this, they all seemed happy and eager to teach residents. And the location: if big cities aren't your thing, I cannot imagine a more exciting place to live. It's hard to overestimate the cultural density and natural beauty of Portland and the surrounding area. Lobster, ocean, oysters...

All of this applies to Vermont's program too. I was equally impressed with their clinical experiences. Location-wise: substitute Lake Champlain for the ocean, and skiing and cheese for surfing and oysters, and there you have Burlington.

Bump... Heard they may be having a money issue. Is this true? Any recent updates on this program would be much appreciated.

Would love to hear current/recent resident feedback regarding MMC (environment, case load, work hours, etc). Sound like a great program but probationary status has many people I have spoken to concerned. Just wanting to make an informed decision.

Thanks

Would love to hear current/recent resident feedback regarding MMC (environment, case load, work hours, etc). Sound like a great program but probationary status has many people I have spoken to concerned. Just wanting to make an informed decision.

Thanks

Sorry, definitely a not current or former resident, but I met the PD in San Diego at ASA this year, and he was the straightest shooter in that enormous ballroom. I imagine as you've interviewed you've met him too, but he made an impression on me.

Taking silver in the "no filter" faculty olympics: the brit from U Utah.

Bronze: Toledo's PD. Guy was like, "sheeeeeeet (yes, that word).... you've from [insert where I came from]? no way you're coming here!" but we went on to have a hilarious conversation for 15 minutes. Ironically most of his current residents are from [insert where I came from].

Sorry, definitely a not current or former resident, but I met the PD in San Diego at ASA this year, and he was the straightest shooter in that enormous ballroom. I imagine as you've interviewed you've met him too, but he made an impression on me.

Taking silver in the "no filter" faculty olympics: the brit from U Utah.

Bronze: Toledo's PD. Guy was like, "sheeeeeeet (yes, that word).... you've from [insert where I came from]? no way you're coming here!" but we went on to have a hilarious conversation for 15 minutes. Ironically most of his current residents are from [insert where I came from].
Any thoughts on the u of Utah program?