Maine medical center or st. lukes??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbait

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, real quick, I have limited time and money to travel, and trying to decide between maine medical center in portland maine or st. lukes in NY. Any thoughts for one over the other to cancel? I've heard good things about both places... Any thoughts? I prolly should go to both, but I'm soooo broke... thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, real quick, I have limited time and money to travel, and trying to decide between maine medical center in portland maine or st. lukes in NY. Any thoughts for one over the other to cancel? I've heard good things about both places... Any thoughts? I prolly should go to both, but I'm soooo broke... thanks guys

Keep Maine.

ok... can you elaborate a little bit? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally different locations. Rule one out based on location alone. If you're outdoorsy, go to Maine. If you want a city, go to NY.

I'd cancel St. Luke's. Cost of living there is OUTRAGEOUS.

St. Luke's helps offset residents' housing costs. They own several apartment buildings right around the hospital and rent units to residents at a very reasonable rate. I have a friend in the program who pays only around $1000 per month for a nice 1/1 apt. which would normally go for over $3000 in that part of town. It is a great part of Manhattan in which to live.

Aside from the locale... how about the programs themselves? I've heard st. lukes has great regional, but they also work their residents hard. On the flip side, I heard Maine is pretty laid back, good resident atmosphere. Gotta decide if I should shell out a kidney to fly out there from the west coast... I can't coordinate the two, which means $$$ if I go out there twice !!! I like my kidneys. :scared:

I would choose Maine if you have seen a ton of city programs. I LOVED MMC. The have a private practice model and the attendings were cool as hell. Tons of otdoor type stuff.

Same on the flip side, if you have seen many rural "backpacking/Skiing" programs maybe Lukes is in your hiking.....i mean liking.

I realize the location differences, but as far as the program themselves, are they comparable in reputation and training? Thanks!