Maine Medical Center Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odoreater

Cybernetic Ghost
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the above, it has been helpful for me to read, I will post where I have been below:

Jacobi/Montie--Have rotated here. Amazing program serving a community with some diverse and esoteric pathology. The prgram provdes a comfortable split bewteen trauma and medicine. Montie gets no trauma and all acute medical cases. The ordering system is electronic and the ancillary services including the nurses are excellent. Jacobi is a big inner city hospital and with that comes an amazing patient population and no ancillary services. be prepared to draw your own bloods, start all your IV's and wheel your patients to rads when you need it done. However with that also comes the fact that the resdents handle EVERYTHING including all trauma that comes through their ER. They are a pretty amazing bunch.

Maine--Amazing town. Portland might be one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited in the country. The residents all seem happy, apparantly work 22 9 hour shifts and only take patients for 8 hours with the last hour dedicated to wrapping up all of the loose ends of a shift. The prgram is very new (only 5 years old) and still seems to be finding its niche. They have a lot of young excited faculty who are very friendly. Their new PD was recruited from Carolina's. The biggest drawback from my persepctive is the lack of diverse pathology (the resident o example had not taken care of an AIDS patient in 2 years).

Emory--Was blown away but this interview and presentation day. Seems as though a lot of strong research is being done by their amazing faculty. They have close ties with the cdc and have 6 attendings who work in both the ed and for the cdc. A great deal of their faculty have mph's and take an active role in both public policy and public health research. They also have a basic science laboratory where they are studying traumatic neuronal inujury. The only drawback (for me at least) about this program was Atlanta. Appears to be a very violent city (though it has some nice parts), and its hot. (I have a cold bias). But this program is amazingly strong.

Penn-- Another great program. Residents work 18 12 hour shifts while in their ED. Thanks to the proximity of CHOP they get an amazing amoutn of peds exposure. The ED was very nice and modern with both electronic charting and lab ordering. All of the residents seemed very happy. The only drawback I found with this program is that the only role the ED has in trauma is to manage the airway and nothing else. However, the faculty are all very friendly, their PD was a geniunely cool guy and they have very strong residents.

I think thats all for now.

Members don't see this ad.

I've completed all of my interviews & would be more than happy to share my opinions on the following programs:

Beth Israel Deaconess/Harvard - awesome facility & equipment, very academic, optional 4th year as research/junior attending position. Residents are a very friendly & laid-back crew, and they seem genuinely happy. Faculty seemed nice & eager to teach, occasional tendency to throw the HARVARD name around but not bad. Program director was a little dry during interview & presentation, but that's kind of his way per the residents - assistant program director is very engaging & friendly.

Duke - as mentioned previously in other threads, the program director is a very strong plus. The faculty are very young, energetic, & eager to teach - a lot of diverse interests are available. The Duke hospital is beautiful & huge, but the ED is about average in terms of layout & size. They've renovated the psych section & supposedly plans are in place to build a new ED in the vaguely distant future. Off-service rotations - YOU'RE WEARING THE SHORT INTERN COAT...not to mention white pants on the surgery services! To me this is an extremely unnecessary addition to internship - the year's tough enough without the added humiliation of short coats & white pants. Attire aside, the off-service rotations are reportedly very good. Current residents seemed happy, but a fairly eclectic group of personalities - couldn't get a good grip on the group as a whole. I think it'll be a great program in 5-6 years.

Hopkins - Program director & coordinator were the two biggest positives for this program. Although my interview day was cut short due to inclement weather & I may have gotten a slightly skewed perception - it seemed to me that the program was very much about the "This is Hopkins...you should come because it is Hopkins" idea. This is not based on anything concretely said, but just my overall gut-feeling.

Maine - a very nice little ED, good facility/equipment. Residents seemed like a good group, very happy with their program & decision. Department Chair & Program Director are great - one of the biggest draws to this place. Dynamic young faculty mixed with some emergency doc's with 20+ years there who still love to teach. Portland's a great little town & the pay is the best of any place I've been. Only concern is if it's too small...

Maricopa - the only true "county" program I interviewed at, recently got a funding bill passed to provide for the next 20yrs worth of funding. Program director is great, they just hired the new chair of the dept - one of the editors for Tintinalli's. Residents seemed great & very happy. Good housing market. The only non-East coast program I applied & interviewed at.

Maryland - awesome facility/equipment, new ED, Shock Trauma, very academic/political. Chair & Program director are great. Very impressed with their academics & career development. Residents seemed very happy, personable & capable - current president of EMRA is there & interviewing applicants along with the faculty. Baltimore is fun city, quite a few rough areas but also several great areas - Inner Harbor, Fell's Point, Federal Hill, etc. The only knock that I could possibly come up with is that it's all 12-hr shift over all 3yrs...pros & cons to that, more hours but fewer shifts. I did a second look here & had a great shift in the ED - high acuity but also good bedside teaching, both from ED staff & consulting services.

UMASS - as mentioned by an earlier reviewer, it is a very busy & overcrowded ED (kinda similar to Maricopa in that aspect) although they are building a new ED to be completed in spring/summer of 2005 (start of our 2nd year). Great lifeflight program - not optional. Big on disaster/international medicine. Faculty were great, chairman has been there 20yrs - very stable & established program. Program coordinator is awesome. Very pro-military group, several reservists in the faculty & residents. Rotate at a couple other community hospitals in Worcester - taken there on tour...nice facility. Several nice perks: proximity to Boston yet reasonable housing market, good pay, state-sponsored 401K, free tuition at UMASS for spouse/children.

UVA - great facility/equipment, awesome college town environment. Chair is active in dept - was working shift in ED during my visit. Program director & coordinator were both very personable & seemed genuinely caring. Faculty was nice mix of young & experienced. Residents were happy & laid-back. Definitely the community-program feel, although it's in a large university hospital. Nice chest-pain center in the ED

I think any of these 8 will give me a good experience & training, and I plan on ranking them all. However, my top 5 are clearly Maryland, Maine, UVA, UMASS, Beth Israel Deaconess - order yet to be determined.

so a quick breakdown of maine med EM:

three things make this residency
1. the faculty - awesome and smart and WELL TRAINED! Dr. Perron is running away with this program and he is backed with a solid group; all #1 focused on teaching

2. the volume might seem a little on the smaller size, but first, it's only got 6 residents, soon to be 8, so the volume per resident ratio is about average and the second big thing is that their surgery residency is tiny (two residents, one transitional) which means that all traumas are primarily run by EM residents, and any little procedure is happily passed onto the EM residents by the surgery residents because the two of them have their hands full with enough!

3. portland a great and liberal town with lots of local breweries and restaurants. i don't think i saw one chain in the whole town. and the other thing i learned is that the weather is not as bad as rumors have it. lots of people told me to check out the program just for an excuse to visit portland maine.

plus, all the maine lobster you can eat...
though under the radar, it is a SOLID program

with love...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am happy to elaborate more about the places I interviewed...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Denver: (+): amazing program, amazing location, 4th years blew me away managing ED. (-): almost no elective time
2) Hennepin: (+): very surgery-based program, Pitbosses run the ED 3rd year, critical care emphasis. (-): Minnesota.
3) Highland: (+): autonomous training, great group of people, nice location, self-sufficient residents. (-): unsure about strength of off-service rotations.
4) MGH/BWH: (+): great city, great resources, phenomenal international health program. (-) young program, 1 million potential consultants to be called
5) New Mexico: (+): great program, super nice people, SICK patients, nice outdoor recreation nearby, critical care strong. (-): location seemed a little ghost-townish for me, issues with movement of pts through department & flow
6) UMichigan: (+): huge critical care, no medicine wards, diverse training sites. (-): not a huge fan of the location/weather, worried about the # of consultants that could be called.
7) Bellevue: (+): big time autonomy, self-sufficient residents, reputation. (-) I am a little intimidated about the idea of living in Manhattan .
8) Maine: (+): the most friendly people ever, location. (-) seemed a little cushy for me
9) BMC: (+): location, underserved patient population, lots of trauma. (-): 2-4, PGY2s do ALL procedures in dept.
10) OHSU: (+): location. (-): didn't gel with the people
11) UC Davis: (+): sick pts. (-): nothing really set them apart, location
12) UCSF Fresno: (+): Yosemite, nice people. (-): couldn't really see value of 4th year, living in Fresno.
13) Stanford: (+): Paul Auerbach, lots of resources, bay area. (-): pts not sick enough, a little too academically snooty for me
14) BIDMC: (+): location. (-): unfriendly, extremely academically snooty people
15) Indiana: (+): fantastic program. (-): location

I also interviewed for the UVM Preliminary Medicine Year and the Transitional year at UC San Diego, so feel free to ask me about those...

Please note: the (+) and (-) are only my opinion. I'm sure there are several other people who had totally different experiences and therefore completely opposite opinions (which is why the match works!)

Maine Medical Center

Residents: 8/yr. Probably the most genial on the interview trail -- very similar to those at Christ! Residents are VERY happy here and there's no hiding that they are all smiles, all the time. Most were top candidates when interviewing, and immediately fell in love with the program at Maine Med. The EM residents are known to be the strongest in the hospital, and are viewed as a gift from above by the ICU teams. Most residents are involved with the outdoors -- running marathons, kayaking, climbing, fishing, etc.

Faculty: These guys have been at it for 20+ years, though the program is 12 years old. Uniquely, the EM residency is the 'center' of the entire department. Everything revolves around it -- be prepared for an incredible amount of warmth and teaching from the faculty! They are hired to teach first, and everything else second. New hires in the last year: Chief Resident at Yale, Chief Resident at MGH/BWH, and the Chief Resident at Cincinnati. Wow! The Chair (Gibbs) and the PD (Perron) are all-stars themselves from Carolinas. The PD is among the best out there. Everyone is on a first-name basis. And the Residency Coordinator (Jane Kane) -- OUTSTANDING! She is reason enough to rank this program #1!

Hospital: Maine Medical Center (MMC) is an 800 bed hospital, only Level 1 for the state, new helicopter transport, new ED located in one of the most livable cities in America -- Portland. Young faculty come here and never leave, folks. The hospital is tops in the region, and there's been a recent bidding war between Tufts, Dartmouth and the University of Vermont for its affiliation.

Curriculum: The curriculum is tailored to developing outstanding clinical care first, both in the academic and community setting. To that end, they want to prepare you for anything and everything. You are expected to read independently to supplement the clinical didactics. Residents are the type who are eager to rush home to read up on something they saw right after a shift.

City: Believe it or not, Portland is the perfect city. It's got that New England charm combined with a progressive attitude and a diversity of cultural happenings. Homes are affordable, the ocean is at your door, and the people are ridiculously good-looking!

Negatives: For what it's worth, Portland is a safe place and so there's not much penetrating trauma around.

Overall: Unbeatable program in an unbeatable location (California is totally over-rated :) ). If I were to design a program from the ground up, this would be it. It would be an honor to train here but if I don't get the chance, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a day when I could work here as faculty.

Maine Medical Center

Residents: 8 residents per year. These residents were by far and away the friendliest, most gregarious group that I’ve yet to meet. They seemed to truly enjoy each other, and the opportunity to interact with the applicants. As a group I would say that they were “outdoorsy” with many reporting enjoying fishing, hiking, biking etc. I was surprised to see that many of the residents were not from the NE but in fact represented each region of the US. Everyone I talked with was thrilled at having landed at Maine Medical Center. Graduates have gone into academics, private practice and fellowships across the country.

Faculty: The interview day affords the opportunity to meet numerous faculty as there are seven 20 min interviews. While tiring, this was an awesome chance to meet so many faculty, giving me a good feel for the programs leadership. Reading between the lines, conducting interviews in this way led me to believe that resident selection and the residency in general is very important to this group. In general, the faculty are young, energetic and academically productive (the group of 20 or so faculty produced around 60 peer reviewed articles last year). They represent a diversity of training having trained all over the country with most recent hires from Yale, Mass Gen and MMC. The PD, Dr. Perron, was quite impressive; he wants MMC to be a national caliber residency and it seemed to me that this was indeed the case. Dr. Gibbs is the Chair and was the former PD at Carolinas Medical Center. The residents all commented at the quality and approachability of the faculty remarking it is not uncommon to go fishing with an attending or cycling with the Chair.

Ancillary Stuff: Per the residents it seems that all staff love MMC. During the tour it was evident that the staff and residents had a positive relationship.

Curriculum: This program is a PGY 1-3 format. The intern year is 4 months of EM then the fairly standard hodge-podge of off service stuff: medicine, anesthesia, ortho, peds etc. The program has two months set aside for electives. A total of 19 months are spent in the ED.

Facilities: MMC is the consummate community ED but happens to be a tertiary care facility and level I trauma center for the region. MMC is in the middle of an expansion project with a new ED opening next December. If I recall correctly, this will double the size of the current ED. A small peds ED is next door to the adult ED but pediatric cases are seen on every shift. Currently, MMC has an academic affiliation with U of Vermont; however, there is a bidding war going on and it appears that MMC may become affiliated with Tufts. The point is that MMC is a prized possession to some major academic centers who are battling for affiliation.

Negatives: This is a relatively young program but the senior leadership is experienced and nationally respected. The product they are producing thus far seems to be well received as grads have gone all over the county. I get the feeling that this programs presence in national EM is growing. I am a little concerned about the limited diversity of the patient population; there is a large Ethiopian population in town but otherwise the patients are caucasian. Everyone commented that residents see plenty of sick patients and trauma.

Interview Details: MMC is very gracious. They will put you up for one night in a quite nice hotel in downtown Portland, a short distance from the hospital. Interviews are very laid back and were more conversational than rapid-fire questions.

Overall: I really, really liked this program. I would welcome the opportunity to work with any one of the faculty/residents that I met during my visit. The hospital is well run, and has invested in the ED (the former Chair is senior hospital administration). The program is youthful and vibrant with what appears to be excellent seasoned leadership in key roles such as Chair, Research Director and PD. Options for career and employment after graduation seemed limitless. I am pretty sure that I drank the Kool-Aid while I was there…I’d be thrilled to match here.

Below are my biased short reviews:

Maine Med: +good residents, lots of camaraderie, cushy number of shifts, do lots of stuff in the ED (do not consult as much), lots of ED time as opposed to offservice, lots of outdoor opportunities in area
-not too much pen trauma, fair blunt, cold winters, small program, homogeneous population

U Mass: +good residents, very nice ED, well respected residents, good research, Hawaii elective, awesome helicopter experience, good reputation in area, great ultrasound
-hard to switch shifts, some unhappiness with residents, seemed like residents stay 1-3 hours after shifts for cleanup

Baystate: +work less than allmost anywhere else, good blunt trauma, good patient mix, very little offservice
-residents did not seem strong, faculty I interviewed with seemed disinterested, cramped department, city sucks and lots of residents live far away in nice town, bad ultrasound

OHSU: +very nice hospital, good research, cool city, residents were friendly
-small program, go to lots of different hospitals because primary does not see enough variety, residents did not seem strong

Carolinas: +great teaching, great research, awesome facilities, strong off service, good ICU experience, great reputation, strong residents
-lots of off service months, city not exactly what I expected

ECU:+strong residents, good teaching, nice department, great patient population, good reputation
-electronic records seem poorly implemented, city is very undesirable for some people

Wake Forest: +good teaching, good facilities, strong residents, good US
-Winston-Salem shuts down on Sundays

Christiana: +good residents, huge department, good records, good patient population, great benefits, nice facility, good teaching, very little off service, great ICU experience, great ultrasound
-area may not suit some

U Conn: +nice PD, nice facilities, good relationships with trauma
-area,

Duke: +New PD seems awesome, nice hospital, would be a good area to live in,good teaching
-not enough electives

I'm one of the interns at Maine Med and wanted to give people some of the info that I wanted to know before ending up here.

Overall: Phenomnal place to work. Sick patients, amazing new ED, stellar faculty.

Schedule: We work 9 hour shifts, with the last hour of the shift used to wrapping up. People tend to get out on time. Interns work 22 shifts a month and I think you drop a shift per month each year. Scheduling is pretty outstanding and I have had a long weekend every month I have been in the department. We get 21 days of vacation each year, not counting weekends. Intern year you can take time of on 6 of your 12 months.

Faculty: Tremendous mix of well established clinicans, dedicated academicians and new grads from some big name programs. Everyone is on a first name basis and its common to hang out with attedings and department chairs outside the ED. The leadership up here as far as Chairs and PD's is phenomenal. Tons of research going on.

Hospital: Brand new department opened 2 weeks ago. We are going from ~30 beds to ~65. Amazing new trauma bay with room for 8-12 critical care beds. All new Digital radiography, new CT scanner, new staff lounge, new psych area. By May we will open a dedicated Peds ED and Prompt care area. Huge number of rooms. Biggest hospital in Maine. We get a ton of really sick people from all over the Northeast. Volume is in the low 60's but is predicted to reach 75k/year in the next 4 years. There is never a shortage of sick patients to be seen. A little light on penetrating trauma, but enough to get comfortable. Tons of blunt trauma. Tons of critical medical patients. The hospital is really well run and patients move from the ED to beds upstairs pretty quickly. Not a ton of other residencies in house so we do all our own Ortho/ENT/Urology because there is no competition with other residents/fellows. Good specialist coverage when you need it.
The hospital pays really well and has a ton of deals for residents like 25% off cell phone bills, cheap lift tickets...

Portland: Amazing place to live. You can leave the ED and be on the beach in ~15 minutes. Tons of bars/restaurants. Nice art museum. Lots of good music. Skiing 45 minutes away. Boston 1.5 hours. No traffic. Almost everyone lives walking/biking distance from the hospital. Some attendings live on Islands just offshore and commute via ferry. Snow in the winters, perfect summers. There is not one thing I would change about the city. Great group of residents. Very active group with plenty of bikers/runners/ skiers/surfers, also plenty of folks who like their recreation at a little slower pace. We have 2 retreats each year, 1 in the summer at an attendings lake house and 1 in the winter at one of the bigger ski resorts. Both are up to a week long depeding on your schedule.

Overall: Great hospital in a cool part of the world. Really high volume for a progam with 8 residents/year. People leave prepared for community/fellowships/academics. Faculty are truly leaders in the field and have a solid vision for the program.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thought I should chip in since I know I read these threads incessantly last year. I added in a bit about my overall thoughts on each program, in case anyone finds that helpful. Feel free to PM me if you have questions and I'll try to at least give my personal insight (which was mostly gleaned from a 1 day interview so it for what it is!).I didn't go to all the interviews I was offered, but I ranked all the places I interviewed and honestly feel I'd be happy at any of them. Yay for EM. :)

1. Vanderbilt:
Loved this program. Had everything I was looking for in terms of having great people, tremendous leadership, great academic/research opportunities, nice city with good COL. Overall the hospital is super supportive of resident education, good benefits, etc. SO liked it too, so it was a fairly easy choice.

2. U of AZ: This was a strong #1 for me until I went to Vandy (which was my last interview). Totally loved the residents, wanted to go out for drinks with the rockin' PD, and Tucson in December was awesome. Great research and terrific curriculum, too. In the end, though, it's far from family and didn't outshine anything Vandy could offer so being a direct flight from family won out.

3. Maine: Totally loved this program, too. Fantastic residents, great hospital, fabulous location. I've spent a lot of time in Maine so this place felt great to me. Thing is, they have no NIH funded research, and since it's important to me to have mentors with NIH grants, etc, I decided I had to pass this one up. I do hope to get back there later in my career, though, and if Match Day brings me there now I'll still be really happy.

4. Carolinas: Great, well established program that has been turning out fantastic EPs for a long time. I liked the new PD a lot on a personal level, although it felt like she's still working out her vision for the direction of the program from here. I don't think that really takes away how great the program is, necessarily, but the leadership at other programs pushed them above this one for me. Again, I think I could be very happy here.

5. UMass: Again, another very well established, very strong program where I could be very happy. I absolutely loved the PD here and it's clear that he puts the education/health/happiness of his residents at the top of his to-do list every day. Worcester is really a drab, post-industrial city with horrendous winter weather, though, and SO was pretty dead set against moving there. So down it went.

6. Utah: I rotated here and really enjoyed my month. Really fun people, good focus on education, could not really be in a nicer location. In the end it was also far from family, and it's a young program that still seemed to be finding its place in the overall hospital scene. I know some residents in other departments at the U and it seems from their experiences that there's an overtone of 'residents are here to work' instead of 'residents are here to learn.' I figured out on the interview trail that this distinction was important to me. I don't think that was true in EM there at all, but you do have to do your off-service rotations. This could be off, it just seemed that some of the other programs I saw had a bit more to offer me in the end. Despite that, I would be more than happy to train there, and I'm sure I'd get a great education, if that's how things go.

7. Georgetown: Dr. Love (the PD here) was actually the one who drew my attention to the point mentioned above, that you want to go somewhere that you're not just a cog in the wheel of the hospital but that your education is primary. He has such a well-defined, clear vision for his program. It was really inspiring. I'd be really happy to train here, in theory, but the logistics were just not going to work for me. COL was way too high, you have to drive to locations that aren't near one another in crazy DC traffic, etc. I was kind of bummed I couldn't easily make this one work for us. We'll figure it out if match brings us there, but it'll be a challenge.

8. UVA: I definitely loved Charlottesville and the residents I met. I went here after I was at G'town and I wanted to take that program and move it to Charlottesville. The PD here is new and just wasn't a great salesman. I don't doubt they have a great program, but he did a lot of handwaving and literally saying 'blah blah blah' during his PPT and I felt like I didn't get a sense at all of what he was offering. That said, I'm sure I would be happy here and I certainly loved the scribes program.

9. Rochester: Definitely a strong program, nice people, good COL, strong research, but SO wouldn't budge on location.

That's all she wrote. ;) Bring on 3/17!!

1. Maine Medical Center (+) No sub-specialty residency program (ortho, oto, ophtho) means you will be doing all reductions and procedures. Only level 1 trauma center in state. Majority of faculty are fellowship trained. Portland is an amazing city that is close to mountains and right on the ocean. By far the friendliest group of residents. 85K volume with only 10 residents/year. (-) diversity.
2. Hennepin (+) Prestigious. High volume >100K, lots of diversity. Lots of critical care. down to earth group of residents. Minneapolis is a great city. Manage whole ED as 3rd year "pitt boss", trauma surgery comes to level 1 trauma IF consulted (-) learn by brute force, very very high level of autonomy, no airway until 3rd year, lots of neurosurgery
3. UC-Davis (+) good balance of academic and county feel. high acuity, good volume 85K, Outdoorsy group - close to Tahoe. Bike to work 365 days/year. Spend time at Kaiser and academic center, good fellowship opportunities (-) serious boarding problem
4. Denver Health (+) prestigious. High volume. Spend time at both academic and county hospitals. Location. Reputation will take you anywhere after graduating (-) malignant, 4 year program, proud to be worked to the bone
5. New Mexico (+) good balance of academic and county access hospital, lots of diversity, residents were super cool, Sandias mountains extremely close, full time U/S teacher, 9 double boarded EM/CC faculty (-) albuquerque was a little too weird for me
6. Iowa (+) distinguished faculty, global health opportunities, good critical care, 9hr shifts (-) Iowa city, 60K/year
7. Oregon (+) location, variety of training sites, awesome turnout at interview dinner (-) 50K volume at main site, very small ED.
8. Utah (+) location, outdoors access. Community site was amazing, but only spend a few months out of three years there. (-) small academic low volume ED, pretentious.
9. Pitt (+) good variety of training sites, great reputation, jeep seems baller and great way to get admin and field experience (-) Pittsburgh seems a little rough, not much going on outside of pro-sports, new PD this year,
10. Cincinnati (+) well-oiled machine, prestigious, 6 mo. elective time, 90K volume and 100K at Cincinnati childrens, PD lets you transcutaneously pace him on interview day, full time U/S teacher (-) 4 years, location, 12 hour shifts
11. Regions (+) very laid back, 80K volume, international fellowship opportunity (-) didn't get a great gut feeling, only work evenings and nights 1st year
12. Arizona - University (+) diverse patient population, border health, global health, 85K/year, Rosen on faculty (-) Tucson is not super cool, 1 resident came to pre-interview dinner, like to do research, recently acquired by Banner HMO

Maine Medical Center: be sure you are OK with the Chief of EM (basically the chair and the former residency director) also acting as a plaintiff's witness in med mal cases. Make sure you read this thread before applying or ranking: PA's "Error" results in $4 million verdict against the doc who signed chart

I have a moderate familiarity with this program and the faculty -- both are mostly greatly in my opinion, but be aware of some of your "leader's actions"...not exactly consistent with the support of emergency physicians or our specialty.

HH

Reactions: 1 users
Hamhock
Thanks for posting this.
As a specialty I think it is our job to make both plaintiff and defense expert testimonies more public.
You want to make several thousand dollars for an expert testimony; you should be comfortable defending you testimony to your peers.

Maine Medical Center: be sure you are OK with the Chief of EM (basically the chair and the former residency director) also acting as a plaintiff's witness in med mal cases. Make sure you read this thread before applying or ranking: PA's "Error" results in $4 million verdict against the doc who signed chart

I have a moderate familiarity with this program and the faculty -- both are mostly greatly in my opinion, but be aware of some of your "leader's actions"...not exactly consistent with the support of emergency physicians or our specialty.

HH

Reactions: 1 user

HH
This happens almost everywhere. I would bet that every residency program in the country has someone in a leadership position who routinely acts as a plaintiff's witness. The unfortunate reality is that people have a hard time turning down easy money. Does anyone have any details about this particular case in terms of the testimony?

This happens almost everywhere.

You must know of some cases then; unless you have worked 'almost nowhere' ;)

Please post them.

Maybe the money made taking down other docs (except for the RARE cases when needed) won't be considered "easy money".

HH

I would testify against peter Rosen or dom bagnoli as a plaintiffs witness, if given the chance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk