Maintaining focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

How you guys manage to stay 100% locked in and focused on the main end goal which is getting into med school without losing focus over stuff like relationship issues, rejections, and etc?

Members don't see this ad.

How you guys manage to stay 100% locked in and focused on the main end goal which is getting into med school without losing focus over stuff like relationship issues, rejections, and etc?
Staying single

Reactions: 5 users

Find a good balance between working towards your goal and keeping yourself healthy. Remember that relationships come and go, but you have a limited number of chances to get into medical school. Study hard during the week and give yourself some time off on weekends. Don't overwork yourself to begin with and the more bothersome things in life will be less likely to push you off the path.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
seriously if ****ing them, just forget them when it comes to med school

they'll either make themselves useful, or like many, not

ditch them before they can really hurt you

Reactions: 1 users
You just get better at it as you get older. Staying single is one way...but life never gets easier. Might as well put yourself in emotionally maturing situations earlier on.

seriously if ****ing them, just forget them when it comes to med school

they'll either make themselves useful, or like many, not

ditch them before they can really hurt you

????????

Ditch your lovers? Is this what this says? :confused:

oh sweet lords of Kobol or the seven ****ing kingdoms, basically if you gotta figure out if they're cool being the sidekick in the story of your success, or else wait for them to fail you assuming you don't end it yourself

EDIT for grammar

Last edited:
oh sweet lords of Kobol or the seven ****ing kingdoms, basically if you gotta figure out if they're cool being the sidekick in the story of your success, or else wait for them to fail you assume you don't end it yourself
I'm still so confused

uh, I should say, just don't do a damn thing different for them, and wait for them to ditch you assuming you don't need to chuck them before it gets to that point

Reactions: 2 users
upload_2016-7-2_12-11-35.png

Reactions: 4 users
True I feel some people have an easier time staying focused on and not diverting their attention to their relationship issues, rejection, or etc as compared to others who have harder time moving on from that stuff which ultimately may effect their focus on getting into their goal medical school.

I feel some people have an easier time staying focused on and not diverting their attention to their relationship issues, rejection, or etc as compared to others who have harder time moving on from that stuff which ultimately may effect their focus on getting into their goal medical school.[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah OKC asked what my life had been motivated by, and don't let the MD deceive you, it was love

love was my ****ing answer

so ****ing lame

all the other answers are better

Be rational rather than emotional. Easier said than done for most people though. Also, know your worth and don't give a crap lol.

Edit: Whenever I have a high stake situation whether a competition, interview, test, etc, I go in with the mindset that I don't give a crap at what happens. Of course, I do deep down but this allows me to be myself and feel little pressure which allows me to put forth a great performance.

Last edited:
@Fuarky If you're concerned about maintaining focus then you have the wrong mindset going into your studies.

@Fuarky If you're concerned about maintaining focus then you have the wrong mindset going into your studies.
I think it's a valid concern. The reason can vary greatly but in today's date and age, it's very easy to lose focus without even noticing.

I think it's a valid concern. The reason can vary greatly but in today's date and age, it's very easy to lose focus without even noticing.
There are more amenities for individual's in this day and age to advocate their own interest and passion. Losing the ability to capitalize on your own opportunities because you're not able to "focus" should raise more indicators about whether you're following a true passion more so than the requirements being too burdensome for the individual.

There are more amenities for individual's in this day and age to advocate their own interest and passion.
I don't see the relationship between that and maintaining focus. Could you expand?

I don't see the relationship between that and maintaining focus. Could you expand?
You made the ambiguous statement that somehow "today's day and age" makes it even easier for individuals to lose focus on what they are doing. I don't understand how it can be possible considering how long it used to take to just upload a basic text webpage hosted on geocities or angelfire to get some context for a research paper. If there are distractions to focusing, then it must be because of the abundance of resources available to individuals compared to the scarcity of having a single decent resource when a lot of infrastructure available to "today's day and age" is readily available.

You made the ambiguous statement that somehow "today's day and age" makes it even easier for individuals to lose focus on what they are doing. I don't understand how it can be possible considering how long it used to take to just upload a basic text webpage hosted on geocities or angelfire to get some context for a research paper. If there are distractions to focusing, then it must be because of the abundance of resources available to individuals compared to the scarcity of having a single decent resource when a lot of infrastructure available to "today's day and age" is readily available.
With social media FB etc and smart phones etc, distractions and diversions galore in today's day and age. The fact that there are more resources available doesn't equate to either distracting or not distracting. More resources could even help one stay focused by not dwelling on a single thing and zoning out or by providing a fresh perspective. I wouldn't quite call additional resources "distracting"... Today, people are much more prone to "multi-task" whatever the proportion of task distribution may be.

With social media FB etc and smart phones etc, distractions and diversions galore in today's day and age. The fact that there are more resources available doesn't equate to either distracting or not distracting. More resources could even help one stay focused by not dwelling on a single thing and zoning out or by providing a fresh perspective. I wouldn't quite call additional resources "distracting"... Today, people are much more prone to "multi-task" whatever the proportion of task distribution may be.
Would you in broad terms consider yourself to be more or less a traditional student in "today's day and age?"

Would you in broad terms consider yourself to be more or less a traditional student in "today's day and age?"
What do you mean by traditional? If you mean going to the library over scouring the web and using pencil/paper as opposed to typing notes, then I do a good combination of both depending on the needs.

What do you mean by traditional? If you mean going to the library over scouring the web and using pencil/paper as opposed to typing notes, then I do a good combination of both depending on the needs.
Lmao.

I guess you aren't really in tune to reality nowadays as a non-student. Believe it or not, there actually are still pros of using older methods and a healthy mix is ideal. "Lmao."

Depending on where you are on your path to becoming a doctor will determine where your focus should be. I remember back when I was a freshman in college, I wasn't worried about whether or not I was going to get into medical school. My goal at that point was to make an A in General chemistry 1 and then go from there. I remember that over 50% of my class either failed or dropped. Focus on getting good grades, volunteering, shadowing, etc. before worrying about the MCAT or medical school.

It's normal to have bad weeks or months. Rejections and relationship issues are part of life and learning how to deal with those things while still performing well in school/work/etc. is an important skill to have. Just take things one day at a time. Instead of worrying about what medical schools you want to apply to in the next couple of years (assuming you are freshman/sophomore in college; apologies if you are not), try and focus on getting an A on your next test or Acing a class. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you think about everything you need to do to become a doctor, but breaking things down into smaller chunks can help relieve stress.

Reactions: 2 users
Depending on where you are on your path to becoming a doctor will determine where your focus should be. I remember back when I was a freshman in college, I wasn't worried about whether or not I was going to get into medical school. My goal at that point was to make an A in General chemistry 1 and then go from there. I remember that over 50% of my class either failed or dropped. Focus on getting good grades, volunteering, shadowing, etc. before worrying about the MCAT or medical school.

It's normal to have bad weeks or months. Rejections and relationship issues are part of life and learning how to deal with those things while still performing well in school/work/etc. is an important skill to have. Just take things one day at a time. Instead of worrying about what medical schools you want to apply to in the next couple of years (assuming you are freshman/sophomore in college; apologies if you are not), try and focus on getting an A on your next test or Acing a class. It's easy to get overwhelmed when you think about everything you need to do to become a doctor, but breaking things down into smaller chunks can help relieve stress.
So true. Work on the individual pieces and the big pieces will fall into place naturally. One step at a time! :)

Using each semester as a check point. There are many check points. And for the relationship aspect, I don't partake in that.