Major dilemma on timing of Step 2 CK...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IJL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did very well on Step 1 (255+) and I am applying to a specialty where not that much importance is placed on step 2.

Currently I'm scheduled to take it within the next month (I've already pushed it back), but now I'm debating on whether or not to push it back further.

I'm very lazy currently and just do not feel like busting my ass to try and at least get a 250, and from what I've heard it won't be a huge deal if I don't have my score back by my interviews. I would like to get it out of the way though.

If I take it mid-September, will residencies (during interviews) know that I've taken it but not released my score (assuming I get like a 230 or something) ??

Should I just wait and take it much later??

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are that if you did that well on step1, you can half ass study for a week or so and get through most of uworld and score >250 on CK (assuming you did well on your shelf exams). It's nice to get it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it later, but at the same time I do know some people that didn't take CK until May of their MSIV year (I believe they were going into ophtho). I'm not saying this is good advice because you may need CK for prelims.