Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My N

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
which major is possible to accomplish for both nurse anesthetist and pharmacy ? Which career is harder as for competitive to get into and how many years for each career? (I am a senior student who can't decide which college to attend and what major to take). Thank you for the advice .

Members don't see this ad.

which major is possible to accomplish for both nurse anesthetist and pharmacy ? Which career is harder as for competitive to get into and how many years for each career? (I am a senior student who can't decide which college to attend and what major to take). Thank you for the advice .
I'm pretty sure to be a CRNA you have to have a BSN and work as a nurse for like 2 years in ICU or something like that

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
To get into a nurse anesthetist programme you have to have experience as an ICU RN. There's no other way around that. The problem is sometimes it can be hard to get ICU positions. So if you are thinking about CRNA then you've got to major in nursing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'd have to get a BS in Nursing. The prerequisites for pharmacy and nursing can vary though; you need to ensure you pick a school where the prerequisites for nursing are the same as the pre-med or pre-pharmacy courses (many nursing schools are light on the sciences; a few are not). There may be a few additional classes you'd have to take, too.

Of course, the two people above also mentioned important aspects of this plan as well: you'd need additional nursing experience to be admitted to a nurse anesthetist program. Of course, if you get a BSN, you can also work at the salary of a nurse while in pharmacy school (if you wind up doing that instead), which would be higher than the salary of a pharmacy intern, usually.

To get into a nurse anesthetist programme you have to have experience as an ICU RN. There's no other way around that. The problem is sometimes it can be hard to get ICU positions. So if you are thinking about CRNA then you've got to major in nursing.

thank you for the advice.

You'd have to get a BS in Nursing. The prerequisites for pharmacy and nursing can vary though; you need to ensure you pick a school where the prerequisites for nursing are the same as the pre-med or pre-pharmacy courses (many nursing schools are light on the sciences; a few are not). There may be a few additional classes you'd have to take, too.

Of course, the two people above also mentioned important aspects of this plan as well: you'd need additional nursing experience to be admitted to a nurse anesthetist program. Of course, if you get a BSN, you can also work at the salary of a nurse while in pharmacy school (if you wind up doing that instead), which would be higher than the salary of a pharmacy intern, usually.

thank you so much for the advice. i think I should get a BSN then go off to pharmacy if I change my mind right ?