Majoring in engineering... enough evidence for why I DONT want to do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm a biomedical engineering major. I've been pre-med since the beginning, but somewhere deep inside me I always had that little pull towards BME, as well as simple genuine interest in the subject, which is why i chose it as my undergrad major. Now, as I'm in my third year of the major, I've decided that BME is definitely not my future. I love the field, but I just like medicine a whole lot more.

so to my question: I know medical schools like to see that you've considered other fields before settling on medicine (so you can show that you're truly interested). As I said above, I've considered BME, but have decided against it. My problem, though, is that I haven't ever done an internship or worked a job in a biotech company or anything like that, so I basically have no professional experience in the field. I know for myself that it's not my future, but will med schools actually believe me since I have no experience in the field, aside from whatever I've done in school? In other words, can simply being a BME major be enough justification for why I believe it's not for me? Before I apply to medical school next summer, I will not get a chance to do any kind of professional internship or anything, so I'm just hoping this will cut it.

Members don't see this ad.

lol I'm sort of in a similar position. I thought I was going to do chemical engineering (we didn't have a BME program at my school) until I got some clinical experience. When people ask me "why medicine" I emphasize that, rather than why not BME. And then you bypass the question entirely. Hopefully, you have some clinical experience to pull in or research. Also, you can emphasize what you learned as an engineering student - group work, long hours, being focused, etc.

You have a higher chance of running into "why not nursing/PA/other allied health professions" than "why not BME".

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm BME as well. My advice for you is to not necessary exclude BME from your future entirely. There are many ways in which engineering and medicine intertwine. I think if you can get research and clinical experiance before you apply you'll have some really good answers to questions like "Why Medicine over engineering?" or "How do you plan to use your BME degree with a career in medicine?"

I'm BME as well. My advice for you is to not necessary exclude BME from your future entirely. There are many ways in which engineering and medicine intertwine. I think if you can get research and clinical experiance before you apply you'll have some really good answers to questions like "Why Medicine over engineering?" or "How do you plan to use your BME degree with a career in medicine?"

...holy moly I just took a gander at your MDApps and you are EXACTLY like me, right down to the GPA, ECs, public health experience. And it seems like you've gotten quite a few interviews, so that's a boost in my spirits haha