Majors and minors for PA school. Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fairies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the length of this.

Hello! I am a senior in high school interested in eventually going to school to become a physician's assistant. I did my research and understand the competition, the prereqs I need, ect. I am already an EMT so I have patient care experience and am hoping to train to be a PCT to get hospital work under my belt. I never took high school seriously, but now that my career goal requires extensive studying and dedication, I began studying everything I did horrible at in high school (chemistry, math) and am taking classes in community college part-time next semester to get the hang of college, then I will transfer to a school that has 3+3 program for PA.

I'm not sure what I should major and minor in. I want to get a high GPA along with my experience as an EMT. Aside from my interest in the medical field, I'm very passionate about reading and writing and am considering taking English as a major or minor because I know I would succeed in it. Truthfully, I am very scared of taking biology as a major although I will if I have to. The thought of a lot of math and chemistry is intimidating, and I am afraid that taking biology as an entire major would mess up my GPA if I struggle too much.

I plan on going to Kean University in New Jersey btw. I already got accepted to the school itself but I'm not going next semester due to financial issues with my family and it would be wiser to adjust taking a couple classes at a time through community college. I'm going part time because quality is better than quickness and I wanna do my best since I know how much I suck at math and chem.

So, I'm thinking of doing either one of these choices:

-Major in biology, minor in English (even if I just major in bio, I'd like to still study English solely based on the enjoyment)
-Major in English, minor in biology
or
-Major in psychology, minor in biology (I read somewhere that psychology is an acceptable major and since I enjoy that subject and it's easier, I'd most likely get a high GPA like I would majoring in English, but they probably look at psychology better than English cause nobody really majors in English for medical careers)

Does it really matter what I major and minor in as long as I have science somewhere in there? Which option would be the best for PA school for a student like me? Should I just pick any major as long as I have a bio minor?

Members don't see this ad.

major doesn't matter as long as you get all the prereqs done. I did medical anthropology. do something that interests you and use electives to take pa school prereqs.

I have to ask since this is relevant, I'm undecided on PA school or Med School. Regardless of the pros and cons, would it be feasible to do a Pre-Med like degree and be able to complete Pre-Reqs for Med School alongside PA School? Of course PA schools differ but I'm sure there are a few that have pretty consistent requirements