Making decisions for my college admissions result 2011-2012

herbertkim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a newby to SND, and I was wondering if anyone of similar career track help me clarify my decision for the 2011-2012 college admission result.

Accelerated Medical Track
I've recently got an offer from RPI-AMC 7yr Physician-Scientist Program, and it was the only accelerated medical program I have been admitted from 8 different programs I've applied this year. Supposedly the RPI-AMC program admitted 20 students this year, and it requires 3.4 GPA maintenance and no MCAT to continue to the medical track at AMC. I am thinking of becoming a plastic surgeon once I get my M.D.

Accelerated Dental Track
I've been admitted to U of P 5yr program, and NYU 7yr program. I am also thinking about becoming a OMF Surgeon, if I pursue dentistry as my career. If I do that how hard is it to be trained as OMF surgeon once I get my DDS from those programs

Undergrad Program
Of all the colleges I've been admitted, For now, I am also nterested in attending Rice University and study Bio-Medical Engineering there. Do you think abandoning those accelerated medical/dental progams above and becoming a pre-med student at Rice sounds crazy? I know that many of the Rice students gain admissions to top medical school each year, but my family insist that I should choose RPI-AMC since it's guaranteed of becoming a M.D.

Please help, and I would like to know more about any people who had real experiences at above mentioned programs/schools.

THANK YOU!

-Kim

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking of becoming a plastic surgeon once I get my M.D

You should know that becoming a Plastic Surgeon is going to be extremely difficult. The prestige of your med school and how much you own the Steps will really decide if you'll actually make it as one. Just know that this is an incredibly difficult specialty to get into. Your accelerated program might not be cut it, although it's debatable.

As for deciding between the MD or Dentist program, you'll have to decide that yourself. Where is your passion?

Rice is also a good choice. If you truly want to maximize your chances at becoming a Plastic Surgeon, you might want to start anew at Rice and aim for top med schools, rather than take the accelerated program at a slightly lower tier med school.

I wish you the best of luck in your decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
So... You could have a DDS in 5 years.... God that sounds just divine....
Basically you should go shadow a few surgeons and dentists, see which is more of a fit for your personality.

Thanks Aerus! Yeah I heard that national quota for PS residency is like 8-10 people a year! I am hoping to become a PS, but I guess it will be better to start at top tier med school. I am only thinking of DDS beacuse it can also give me the chance to become a OMF Surgeon which I deem similar to PS, getting to work on patient's head and neck. Anyways, I thank you for your invaluable opinion. I just heard back from RPI-AMC that only the 2/3 of the 20 students in a class will be promoted to the medical school. Do you think it's worth the shot?

Thanks serenade, yeah the U of P 5 yrs program lets you earn DDS in 5 years, but it will not include Bachelor's though.

Thanks serenade, yeah the U of P 5 yrs program lets you earn DDS in 5 years, but it will not include Bachelor's though.

Yah, honestly the notion of graduating with a doctorate and managing to be able to a decent job by 23 is just butterflies and sugar.