Making friends after pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Altary

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you make new friends, stick to your old buds, or do both after you graduate pharmacy school? Not really able to make many good friends(just people I say hey to) due to school. It's not like I close people out, it's just there is not much time to hang out(bad time management). Don't wanna regret when I get out. But on the other hand don't want to get bad grades because I want to try to get into a residency.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't appear most people continue to hang out much with their pharmacy besties after school. I wouldn't worry if you don't have time.

I speak to literally zero people I knew in high school and zero people I knew in college. You'll make friends wherever you settle down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I moved away pretty far from where I graduated high school and college. So far, I haven't had much trouble meeting people since I live in a part of the country where there is a lot of other transplants. :p I do keep in touch with college friends but mainly an occasional phone call or text message. I wouldn't worry too much! It helps to have some social life during school though, to take the edge off.

Find a hobby you like and go to a meetup related to this hobby. Rock climbing, music, beer, basketball, hiking, etc. People are busy these days and relationships can happen quickly. Not making time for personal life is a good way to make your grades worse actually.

Networking is important for residency too and you have to get out to do that. StarCraft, Eve Online, and Call of Duty don't count.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Please elaborate on this?

I'm pretty sure he meant to take a break and relax from time to time. You don't want to put your nose to the grindstone 24/7 because you'll just burn out eventually.

I agree about finding friends through hobbies. Whether it's church, exercise class, volunterring, knitting, sailing, dart league, etc all are avenues to running into people you share interests

i feel like after graduating everyone kind of went their separate ways. and those that are still around aren't really hanging all the times. Everyone's schedule is hard to match up especially as pharmacist. Its unlike other jobs where in most cases the same/similar 9-5 m-friday maybe some weekends. Pharmacist schedules are like everywhere all shapes and forms and some work holidays where normally ppl get offs, overnights, depending on where etc. So its actually harder to keep in touch and go out i feel. and if you work retail sometimes it sucks because you will realize where you work, its just you as the pharmacist so you dont really see other pharmacists on normal days to connect with. You only get your techs...some interns...sometimes i feel its hard to connect with them compared to like a office setting or corporation where u have a lot of ppl to meet and connect with. some techs/interns they may be more elderly or students and wouldnt really hang out with you. Wow now thinking about it, theres like hardly any life... Need to start thinking how to get a life back haha I need some suggestions too.