Making the move: 2.5x to 4.5x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haisha ni narou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think I'm ready to get some stronger loupes. I have the DFV 2.5 and have tried the DFV 4.5EF and noticed they were rather heavy (as lots of others say about this set). Has anyone compared the difference in the Surgitel vs. DFV in the same magnification? I'll check it out at the next convention but just wanted to get yall's input.

Members don't see this ad.

For some folks it's a relatively easy transition to go from 2.5 to 4.5x. For others the combined added weight of the 4.5x optics and the decreased size of the field of view will be too much to make it comfortble for them to practice with the higher magnification. You need to try them on and see.

Also, don't rule out a middle ground 3.5x - gives more "power" than one might expect compared to a 2.5x and often with a very similar weight of the optics and nice sized field of view.

You guys know of anywhere to go look at loupes, or should our school provide us with an opportunity to try them out? Any things to look for? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
For some folks it's a relatively easy transition to go from 2.5 to 4.5x. For others the combined added weight of the 4.5x optics and the decreased size of the field of view will be too much to make it comfortble for them to practice with the higher magnification. You need to try them on and see.

Also, don't rule out a middle ground 3.5x - gives more "power" than one might expect compared to a 2.5x and often with a very similar weight of the optics and nice sized field of view.

Thanks for the input DrJeff. I guess I'll just have to do a lot of comparison shopping at the convention this March.

You guys know of anywhere to go look at loupes, or should our school provide us with an opportunity to try them out? Any things to look for? Thanks!
We get vendors that visit every few weeks to let you try out loupes... I probably should have started doing that by now :p

I am in the process of getting loupes. I asked the vendor and it seems that a lot of students realize that they will eventually need 2.5+ later and are just buy 3.5 as their first set of loupes. Yes the learning curve is a little longer, but people seems to be ok with 3.5 here. I have tried the 4.5 standard, and didnt think it was that heavy. I think they have 4.5 EF which like 3.5 is pretty heavy.

I think I would have liked to go with a 3.5x extended field, but Penn forbids use of headlights in our first preclinic class to prevent it being an advantage versus those who can't afford them. :mad: what about people who can't afford loupes? Anyway, going to be buying 2.5x from DFV within the next couple of days...

I'm also thinking of upgrading. I currently have Orascoptic 2.5x TTL. I have been very happy with them but am ready to make the leap to Orascoptics 3.8 or 4.3's.

I plan on doing general dentistry after school. Do you think the 4.3's field would be too narrow for most GP procedures, particularly FPD's? I'm leaning towards the 3.8's, but in a couple years I have a hunch that I will want to upgrade magnification again.

Any input would be helpful :)

Hup

Interesting post, much better than the typical "how much do oral surgeons make". Anyone ever consider an endo scope to do final checks on margins and the like?

I think I would have liked to go with a 3.5x extended field, but Penn forbids use of headlights in our first preclinic class to prevent it being an advantage versus those who can't afford them (scoff!!). :mad: what about people who can't afford loupes? Anyway, going to be buying 2.5x from DFV within the next couple of days...

Wait wait....Students at Penn who can't afford lights? Then why in the hell are they going to the third most expensive school in the nation? I don't think another $500 is going to make a difference in the $264,000 it is cost them to go to school. Add in living expenses, and you have one whopping load of debt.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=657139 (download file, page 23)

Wait wait....Students at Penn who can't afford lights? Then why in the hell are they going to the third most expensive school in the nation? I don't think another $500 is going to make a difference in the $264,000 it is cost them to go to school. Add in living expenses, and you have one whopping load of debt.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=657139 (download file, page 23)
Trust me, I definitely don't follow their logic - unfortunately, I don't make the rules. :)