Making the right moves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephanopolous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback if anyone is willing...

28 years old, applying this year. A little background:

Hispanic female, worked full time through undergrad as a chief scribe and paramedic. Realized last year I wanted to go to medical school. My undergrad grades have some scars from the death of my best friend and a tendency to put work before school (have to afford it somehow). My undergrad GPA is projected to be (taking two more post bacc classes this semester) 2.9, with a 3.1 sgpa. I have two letters of recommendation so far- one from my organic chem professor, one from an MD who I have a great professional relationship with. I'm using interfolio and plan on having another letter this semester from an anatomy professor as well as a letter from a DO ER doc I've worked with for over 4 years.

I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of July. I know it's late but that date will give me the most study time. Planning on applying to ~20 schools.

So my questions...

Can I apply June 1st if I haven't taken the MCAT yet?

Right now I've been reading, building a list of schools to apply to, and starting to develop a study plan for May-July for the MCAT. Are there any other major things I should be working on?

I start the spring semester in about 9 days and will again be working full time but only taking two classes (orgo II and anatomy and physiology II). Ended up with a B in organic I last semester.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Stephanie

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for some feedback if anyone is willing...

28 years old, applying this year. A little background:

Hispanic female, worked full time through undergrad as a chief scribe and paramedic. Realized last year I wanted to go to medical school. My undergrad grades have some scars from the death of my best friend and a tendency to put work before school (have to afford it somehow). My undergrad GPA is projected to be (taking two more post bacc classes this semester) 2.9, with a 3.1 sgpa. I have two letters of recommendation so far- one from my organic chem professor, one from an MD who I have a great professional relationship with. I'm using interfolio and plan on having another letter this semester from an anatomy professor as well as a letter from a DO ER doc I've worked with for over 4 years.

I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of July. I know it's late but that date will give me the most study time. Planning on applying to ~20 schools.

So my questions...

Can I apply June 1st if I haven't taken the MCAT yet?

Right now I've been reading, building a list of schools to apply to, and starting to develop a study plan for May-July for the MCAT. Are there any other major things I should be working on?

I start the spring semester in about 9 days and will again be working full time but only taking two classes (orgo II and anatomy and physiology II). Ended up with a B in organic I last semester.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Stephanie

Yes, you can apply without having taken the MCAT. Some schools may still send you the secondaries, however you will not be considered "complete" until they have that score.

Right now I would really focus on your grades. You should be trying to pull A's in OChem 2 and A&P 2. After that I would think about what you want to say in your personal statement, make sure LOR'a are in order, and you'll be good to go come June 1st.

Goodluck

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to take as much time off of work this semester as possible to study/work for A grades in both classes. Writing about myself and my goals is trickier than I thought it would be, so for now I'm just keeping a journal- adding "aha" thoughts to it as they come. I'll start drafting something slowly but surely. My personal statement, LOR's and interviews will be my time to shine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to knock the MCAT out of the park if your GPA is low. A low MCAT is easy to understand but I feel like a low GPA just shows continuing mediocrity. But, anyone can accomplish anything if they put their mind to it. Just depends on how bad you want it.

I'm going to modify SN2's study schedule on here and also thankfully have someone who will let me borrow money for the Kaplan+ MCAT course. I plan on self studying 4-5 days a week and taking the course as well. I know I have to nail the MCAT, AND this semester. I'm ready. If I don't get accepted this cycle I think I'll replace my C in chem II and take some additional higher level science courses to try and boost my GPA some more. Thank for your feedback.

Steph

I'm going to modify SN2's study schedule on here and also thankfully have someone who will let me borrow money for the Kaplan+ MCAT course. I plan on self studying 4-5 days a week and taking the course as well. I know I have to nail the MCAT, AND this semester. I'm ready. If I don't get accepted this cycle I think I'll replace my C in chem II and take some additional higher level science courses to try and boost my GPA some more. Thank for your feedback.

Steph

Kaplan won't give you the score you need. They only specialize in bringing the below average to average. I would look into the Berkeley review or the Princeton review. Then get the Exam Krackers Verbal Study guide. It's not the material you need to worry about it's the conceptual relationship of how every part of the material can be interrelated. I can understand if you are short on funds. I have some old mcat study materials I can send you via media mail that won't sell on ebay that I can send you. PM if interested.

I will definitely PM you- thank you so much!!!!!! I've been trying to read reviews of both courses but it's difficult for me to make a choice. A few ER docs I work with took Kaplan and loved it- haven't been able to personally talk to anyone who took the Berkely/Princeton classes.

I'm also trying to figure out when the best time to take the MCAT is- I have to work this semester but I'm able to cut back a bit on shifts by using up vacation time. I was going to just take the class starting in May and then take the MCAT at the end of July but I'm starting to wonder if taking it from Feb-May and then taking the test in June would be a better idea... I'm taking organic chem II this semester and A&P II so it'll be applicable both ways and can't hurt right?

I would take it earlier so you can apply earlier. When you wait to apply your chances are lowered. The classes are okay... But your going to need some self study. There is a great 3-4 month guideline in the forums. 2 months is not enough IMO. I did not do well on the MCAT because I did not study enough and focused on work. I could answer every Kaplan question easily, same with exam krackers. But I did not make then conceptual connection like I should have. What saved me was my cGPA and sGPA and my EC's + military service.