Malignant programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biff Tannen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had a phone interview with a program known to be very malignant (big time, from what I have read). If offered a spot, I would be in my specialty of choice. On the other hand, I will probably hate life for the next few years. Really on the fence about this. Does a malignant residency follow you for life?

Members don't see this ad.

I thank God I matched and didn't have to go through the SOAP, but I have to say...people like you piss me off on this forum, you are SOAPing and fortunate to get an offer in a specialty of your choice and still cherry picking....good luck with that. It is really not nice to post this in a forum where people are begging for interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry, but I think you should just take the offer. Worst case scenario, you can always transfer if you absolutely hate it; be thankful that you have the opportunity to be employed next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Just had an interview, no offers. I was trying to get an opinion about what others would do in this situation. There is still time left and I hope we all get to match to something.

Only if it emotionally scars you for life. ;)
Often "malignant" programs have solid training but you just work really really hard. That hard work pays off with good clinical ability. That's obviously different than programs that just suck at everything. Yes, they do exist. Find out which it is before you commit.

I guess it would depend on 1. How bad do you want to be in said specialty and 2. How far behind is the next specialty of interest (and could you land in it at some point. In my situation, I'd probably take the spot, even if I'd hate residency (may think twice if it's a 5 year program), but it's really the rest of your life you're talking about and not just the next 3-5 years.

I guess it would depend on 1. How bad do you want to be in said specialty and 2. How far behind is the next specialty of interest (and could you land in it at some point. In my situation, I'd probably take the spot, even if I'd hate residency (may think twice if it's a 5 year program), but it's really the rest of your life you're talking about and not just the next 3-5 years.

Take it if malignant = long hours.(I don't even know how malignant came to refer to long hours on SDN)
Don't take it if malignant = 1-2 residents not getting contracts renewed every couple years, LORs badmouth the resident, psychological abuse, or residency program about to be shut down.

Just had a phone interview with a program known to be very malignant (big time, from what I have read). If offered a spot, I would be in my specialty of choice. On the other hand, I will probably hate life for the next few years. Really on the fence about this. Does a malignant residency follow you for life?
If it's malignant your chances of non-renewal are high. You don't want to get trapped. What ever happened? Did you take the spot?

Just take the spot, keep your head down and take a few years abuse with a smile and good attitude. Many people don't get the opportunity to do what they really want and so if it means you have to suck it up for a few years, and cow-tow to some jerks for a few years, so be it. As suggested above, beggars don't get to be choosers. It all comes down to, what would you prefer, to become the kind of doctor you want for a long career or take something else but maybe have an easier time for the next few years? It's a no brainer.

Edit -- I see this is a necro bump. The guy is probably well into a career by now. Please don't do bumps like this-- lame.

There's been an overabundance of necro bumps lately.