About the ads

Malpractice Insurance

Discussion in 'Sleep Medicine' started by Chonal Atresia, Feb 20, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Chonal Atresia

Chonal Atresia

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Anybody have a "ballpark" figure for the cost of malpractice insurance for a board-certified sleep doc contracted out by a private sleep lab (not affiliated with a hospital)? I would only be reading studies as well as performing patient consultations (i.e. I would NOT be the medical director). The job is in North Carolina and I am dual board-certified in Otolaryngology and Sleep Medicine but would be performing no otolaryngology and need no coverage for this (this is a potential moonlighting opportunity separate from my government job for which I'm already covered). I would want the standard $1,000,000/$3,000,000 tail policy, right? Also, any idea where I could get info on an insurance policy?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. michaelrack

michaelrack All In at the wrong time SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    A friend and colleague sent me this message about 1.5 years ago:

"We just found a malpractice insurance plan strictly for sleep medicine...they also cover the DME. This is pretty unusual.

I wanted to share the name if your interested. It cut my malpractice by 6k/year plus it covers my DME activity.

Anyway, feel free to pass it on

Cailor Fleming Insurance

800-796-8495

Agent: Don Foley"
  3. Chonal Atresia

Chonal Atresia

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks for the info - I'll be sure to check it out.
  4. Manicsleep

Manicsleep

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Dr. Rack,

How has your experience been? Are you still using them and are they a national chain? Your drop of 6k was from internal medicine coverage right?

Thanks for any advice.
  5. michaelrack

michaelrack All In at the wrong time SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    sorry, I have no experience with them. I use Medical Assurance company of Mississippi (who I highly recommend to those who practice medicine in MS).

I am currently living in Memphis TN, but only practice medicine in MS. If I start to practice in Memphis, I will have to look further into that company
  6. Manicsleep

Manicsleep

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks, I misunderstood what you had written. I thought you had signed on with them as well.