malpractice insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summerX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doint inpatient PT and am planning on picking up a couple home care visits a week. Does anyone have any recommendations for malpractice insurance?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently doint inpatient PT and am planning on picking up a couple home care visits a week. Does anyone have any recommendations for malpractice insurance?

I practice outpatient ortho, I have my MTC, and I do a lot of mobilizations and manipulations. Add that to the fact I treat a good bit of worker's compensation and I determined I needed some extra malpractice insurance. The company you work for will have it, but 1) it won't be enough, and 2) they have it to primarily cover their own butt.

The APTA recommends HPSO (Healthcare Providers Service Organization) and that's what I use. I think I pay under $200 for the entire year and it seems to have plenty of coverage.

http://www.hpso.com/professional-liability-insurance/coverage-description.jsp?refID=WLA45i

I also use HPSO (it you're a new grad, you can get a discounted rate). I have to use it when covering certain events/etc in the sports PT world. I recommend getting additional malpractice insurance for any work outside of your regular employment.