Malpractice-Psychiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nauticadoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
About how much a year is malpractice insurance for psychiatrists? I expect it to be relatively low... (compared to other professions).

Members don't see this ad.

As noted above, rates depend on location/provider factors.

Nevertheless, you're correct -- aggregated, it would tend to be lower than most, this trend can be plotted against specialties. To check out comparative files/claims across specialties, reference the post linked in my signature.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there such thing as malpractice suits against psychiatrists? I thought that was half, if not the only reason to go into psychiatry.

is there such thing as malpractice suits against psychiatrists? I thought that was half, if not the only reason to go into psychiatry.

Other than actual interest in mental health.

Reactions: 1 users
"Allowing patients to pay for services by mowing your lawn, washing your car, painting your house, babysitting your kids, etc."
lol?
Sounds funny, but especially with disenfranchised patients or those in a small town, these kind of arrangements were common in the past. I've had patients offer handyman services and the like for my care.

Reactions: 2 users
"Sending a patient's overdue bill straight to collections without reviewing the chart and speaking to the patient about it."

That's an interesting one. Does this hold true for most specialties?

If you're asking whether patients file for things that do not constitute malpractice or where no injury has occurred, then yes it is frustratingly common.

I have stories.

(that being said, it's not very nice to send a patient to collections straight away without attempting other means of obtaining payment.)

If you're asking whether patients file for things that do not constitute malpractice or where no injury has occurred, then yes it is frustratingly common.

I have stories.

(that being said, it's not very nice to send a patient to collections straight away without attempting other means of obtaining payment.)
I misread the first few paragraphs (and title lol). "At risk" is now noted.

Reactions: 1 user