Managing costs of interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrshumMurshum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose if most schools allow you to stay on campus then the principle cost is travel + clothes.

For people who had multiple interviews from previous cycles did you ever take the bus across country? I know Greyhound used to do 99 dollar anywhere in the US fees, but I think they did away that. I suppose there might be other busing services for <100, but I haven't been able to find them.

Booking flights OOS with <1 month preparation usually costs ~500 round trip. That's why I was thinking the bus route would be the cheapest way to go. But then it might be more cost effective just to drive yourself depending on the circumstances.

I really don't have a lot of money so I was just wondering what tips people might have to cut costs on interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my list of tips from another thread; it is by no means comprehensive.

1) Group your interviews together as much as possible. A lot of schools are understanding about this, and sometimes will let you change the date of your interview if you're going to be in the area for another interview. Call the admissions office as soon as you know so you can make preparations as far in advance as possible.

2) Stay with a student host or with friends in the area. Most schools have a student host program. I kind of prefer to be by myself in a hotel, but they're so expensive in Manhattan that I chose a student host and it was actually a pretty good experience. Some will even pick you up from the airport.

3) Use public transport instead of taxis whenever possible. I spent $60 on a cab ride from the St. Louis airport to my hotel. After asking around, I found out you could take the train there for a few bucks. I used the bus system in LA to get around as well, even though it seems like most white people are terrified of it. Well I thought it was cake. Using public transport also gives you a much better feel for the city in which you may end up living. As a caveat, having a smartphone is pretty much a MUST if you plan on using public transport in a new city.

4) Don't check your bags. Use a rolly carryon and a small backpack. This is not only cheaper, but reduces the risk you'll lose your suit the night before your interview. I had a bunch of pre-made toiletries baggies with little bottles from Target and Walgreens.

5) Bring your own snacks for the flight and ask around or use Yelp to determine where is the cheapest place nearby to eat. It sounds dumb, but food costs add up quickly. Remember lunch is usually included for interview day.

6) Try to schedule interviews for Wednesday or Thursday, when flight prices are cheapest. Arrive the night before and leave the night of your interview.

7) You don't need to get the fanciest suit available. Get an inexpensive one and spend a bit of money on tailoring instead. A properly-fitting suit does wonders for making you look professional, and is far more effective than simply spending a lot on a suit.

Hope this helps! :)

As soon as I received an interview invite, I would send a in-the-area e-mail to schools nearby and schools in surrounding states letting them know in which state I was interviewing and the date. I'd wait a week or even two before booking a flight in case I landed another interview. It worked out pretty well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose if most schools allow you to stay on campus then the principle cost is travel + clothes.

For people who had multiple interviews from previous cycles did you ever take the bus across country? I know Greyhound used to do 99 dollar anywhere in the US fees, but I think they did away that. I suppose there might be other busing services for <100, but I haven't been able to find them.

Booking flights OOS with <1 month preparation usually costs ~500 round trip. That's why I was thinking the bus route would be the cheapest way to go. But then it might be more cost effective just to drive yourself depending on the circumstances.

I really don't have a lot of money so I was just wondering what tips people might have to cut costs on interviews.

Bus trips across the country tend to take a lot more time than you realize, as there are very few direct bus lines. Plus, if you're out West and travelling to the East Coast, it can take days to make it across. Even on the East Coast it can be challenging: a bus from my city to where my dad lives will take over a day, but it only takes 4 hours driving.

Check out trains if you live on the East Coast. They usually hit all the major cities and tend to be much, much faster than a bus. Bit more expensive, but probably less expensive than a last minute flight.

Also, try using a service like Kayak.com (though they haven't been as good in recent years) to search multiple sites for the best price on plane tickets. They can also help predict when the best time to buy a ticket is.

Last edited:

http://us.megabus.com/

You can get really cheap rates (only a few dollars) on the megabus if you book it early enough. The only problem with megabus is that there are only a few destinations from each bus station. But if you get lucky and there is a bus traveling from where you live to where you are interviewing, it can be really cheap.

Student hosting is definitely a good choice. Free and get to learn more about the school.

For some of those flights, I try to think of them as investments.

Credit cards with 0% interest.