Managing mcat studying with classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

How do you guys fit in time to study along with coursework? I know that most people are able to do this, but I'm having a hard time with it. It's pretty bad because I studied the whole summer and had to push my date because I wasn't ready, and now I am studying with classes. But I didn't touch mcat stuff for the last two weeks or so because I had two exams yesterday and I was so worried about them. Do you just schedule like 2 hours a day and force yourself to study? Whenever I study for classes or the mcat, I'm just nervous because I feel like I'm not putting my best effort into the other activity
Also, by the time I'm done classes at the end of the day, I'm just gone. I don't have the ability to handle that much work in one day lol

I sit down and try to read my mcat materials, but I can't actually read. I can only look at the books. I can't feel myself processing the information

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you guys fit in time to study along with coursework? I know that most people are able to do this, but I'm having a hard time with it. It's pretty bad because I studied the whole summer and had to push my date because I wasn't ready, and now I am studying with classes. But I didn't touch mcat stuff for the last two weeks or so because I had two exams yesterday and I was so worried about them. Do you just schedule like 2 hours a day and force yourself to study? Whenever I study for classes or the mcat, I'm just nervous because I feel like I'm not putting my best effort into the other activity
Also, by the time I'm done classes at the end of the day, I'm just gone. I don't have the ability to handle that much work in one day lol

I sit down and try to read my mcat materials, but I can't actually read. I can only look at the books. I can't feel myself processing the information
Hi a,

As a part-time MCAT instructor, I can tell you the best piece of advice that I have heard and that I give to my students is this: on average, doing well on the MCAT requires 300 hours at minimum of direct study + practice time.

If you're self-studying, you should set aside X amount of hours per week to meet that goal before your exam. This '300' rule is just an average; it could take you much less or more time than that. However, if you block out, let's say 10 hours per week on a calendar.... then, after 10 weeks of school, you're already 1/3 of the way to being prepared.

Make a schedule! Stick to it! When I was studying, I had Saturday evenings for macro review, Sunday mornings for practice tests (8 hour blocks of time; ~12 tests total), and blocks of time set out during the work (school) week to study.

Additionally, with the gift of Khan Academy, you can be studying for the MCAT all the time. Get to enjoy the material by either listening to the Psych/Soc videos like podcasts in between classes... or, find the old Audio Osmosis series to hear Bio/Chem relayed to you hilariously.

---

Basically, if you're not organized and you don't have a plan as to how you're going to reach your goal of ~300 hours, you're not going to do it. Create SMART goals.

Specific: what you'll study (e.g., kinematics)
Measurable: how long you'll do it / what chapters to cover (e.g., 2 hours on Wednesday, Physics chapter 2)
Attainable: do I have the time to do that much studying on Sundays? --> Clear your schedule to make the MCAT #1 priority during your blocks of time. Do not let anything else disturb it.
Realistic: if you're shooting for 10h of studying/week, you can't expect to do that all on, for example, Saturday. Split stuff up so that you'll actually do it.
Time-based: keep track of your study hours on a google spreadsheet.

Track your practice exam scores. Make sure you have an idea of what you have covered and what you need to still cover. And slam this test. The study skills you'll get will last you a lifetime!

And remember, SDN's got your back like chiroprac.

I don't get the question. Everything we study is just a node within a nexus of cultural knowledge. How can you not being studying for the MCAT while studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get the question. Everything we study is just a node within a nexus of cultural knowledge. How can you not being studying for the MCAT while studying?

You know what he means...

Hi a,

As a part-time MCAT instructor, I can tell you the best piece of advice that I have heard and that I give to my students is this: on average, doing well on the MCAT requires 300 hours at minimum of direct study + practice time.

If you're self-studying, you should set aside X amount of hours per week to meet that goal before your exam. This '300' rule is just an average; it could take you much less or more time than that. However, if you block out, let's say 10 hours per week on a calendar.... then, after 10 weeks of school, you're already 1/3 of the way to being prepared.

Make a schedule! Stick to it! When I was studying, I had Saturday evenings for macro review, Sunday mornings for practice tests (8 hour blocks of time; ~12 tests total), and blocks of time set out during the work (school) week to study.

Additionally, with the gift of Khan Academy, you can be studying for the MCAT all the time. Get to enjoy the material by either listening to the Psych/Soc videos like podcasts in between classes... or, find the old Audio Osmosis series to hear Bio/Chem relayed to you hilariously.

---

Basically, if you're not organized and you don't have a plan as to how you're going to reach your goal of ~300 hours, you're not going to do it. Create SMART goals.

Specific: what you'll study (e.g., kinematics)
Measurable: how long you'll do it / what chapters to cover (e.g., 2 hours on Wednesday, Physics chapter 2)
Attainable: do I have the time to do that much studying on Sundays? --> Clear your schedule to make the MCAT #1 priority during your blocks of time. Do not let anything else disturb it.
Realistic: if you're shooting for 10h of studying/week, you can't expect to do that all on, for example, Saturday. Split stuff up so that you'll actually do it.
Time-based: keep track of your study hours on a google spreadsheet.

Track your practice exam scores. Make sure you have an idea of what you have covered and what you need to still cover. And slam this test. The study skills you'll get will last you a lifetime!

And remember, SDN's got your back like chiroprac.

Do you include practice tests in your "300 hours" cutoff? I'm not aiming for a certain number per se because I will give something as much time as it needs but I'm just curious.

what part of my question are you referring to

Do practice MCAT questions in your spare time constantly. I literally took one of those ExamKrackers books with a billion problems to my OChem Lab, and whenever I was waiting on an experiment to do its thing, I would just take my book out and practice. I didn't let one minute go to waste.

The most important thing I can say about this is to avoid mainstream mcat prep companies that require you to study upwards of 20 hours a week during the school year. This could cause your GPA to take a big hit. Instead, I would recommend hiring a tutor or even meeting with a friend who did well on the exam and getting their help in making a plan and sticking to it. There are a lot of online tutors out there. For instance, I tutor online at MCATSelfPrep.com.

Also, one strategy that I find helps is studying a MCAT content book (such as the Kaplan 7-book series) along with your pre-med classes. For instance, if you are going to learn about the citric acid cycle in your biochemistry class next week, study the chapter about that in the content book before you go to class. This way you are most prepared for class and also you understand what content is important for the MCAT. It's a win-win!