Mandatory CEU topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Just licensed in new state, and they require a few CEUs each year in topics related to veterans issues. On the one hand, whatever- it's only a couple of hours and I'll find something interesting and learn something new. On the other hand, no amount of CEU training- and certainly not 2 hours per year- will ever prepare me to work with a population with which I have no formal training or experience. I know it's political (small state with big military presence) but I think the citizens of the state would be better served by my focusing my professional development in an area in which I'm qualified to practice.

Other than general topics (e.g ethics) do any of you have similar CEU requirements? Do you think you should?

Members don't see this ad.

My personal favorite is New Mexico's diversity "people of the southwest" ceu requirement. Because that's available everywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just licensed in new state, and they require a few CEUs each year in topics related to veterans issues. On the one hand, whatever- it's only a couple of hours and I'll find something interesting and learn something new. On the other hand, no amount of CEU training- and certainly not 2 hours per year- will ever prepare me to work with a population with which I have no formal training or experience. I know it's political (small state with big military presence) but I think the citizens of the state would be better served by my focusing my professional development in an area in which I'm qualified to practice.

Other than general topics (e.g ethics) do any of you have similar CEU requirements? Do you think you should?

Seems dumb.

I have never understood the focus on "veteran issues." Veterans are people, have unique experiences (as we all do), but also have the same struggles as everyone else, fundamentally. I already think the military and civilian worlds are too disconnected from one another. I dont see a reason to continue promoting the idea that they are "different" than us.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wish there was a CEU requirement for the CEU's to be useful and educational.

This. Research has shown that the way they are generally done is quite useless for the sake of altering practice. In theory I think it is quite logical to require healthcare professionals stay up to date on the latest practice standards and provide better quality care. In reality, CEUs do nothing to achieve that goal.

That said - requiring CEU in veterans issues seems exceptionally silly. What if one is specializing in say...pediatric neuropsych?

There are certainly some unique aspects to working with veterans. The resources and structure of the VA system are certainly unusual, but that is largely irrelevant for anyone operating outside it. The potential nature of military experiences (combat trauma) is obviously somewhat unique, as is the transition in and out of that environment. That said, these are really just standard issues of diversity and I fail to see any benefits to looking at it differently. If we're going to require specific CEUs in every culture and subculture we are likely to work with...psychologists will be doing little else with their time.

That said - requiring CEU in veterans issues seems exceptionally silly. What if one is specializing in say...pediatric neuropsych?

Yep- my psychologist work in the new state will almost exclusively involve diagnostic evals of kids under 3 years old suspected of developmental delays. Not many veterans in that crowd.