Mannitol & vascular surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhb

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you give mannitol prior to Ao cross clamp for renal protection?
Surgeon asked me today and i said i wouldn't recommend it, but there is some litterature on the subject although nothing definitive...

Members don't see this ad.

Surgeon asked me today and i said i wouldn't recommend it, but there is some litterature on the subject although nothing definitive...

i give it if the surgeon wants it. it's not a subject worthy of discussion during an aortic case.

data is inconclusive (there are a ton of studies), and it is probably relatively harmless.

blade could probably elaborate with a fountain of studies...

The use of mannitol as a protective agent during renal transplantation stems from its ability to increase renal blood flow. This is thought to be due to the release of intrarenal vasodilating prostaglandins and atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP). A second perceived benefit of mannitol is related to its role as an oxygen free-radical scavenger that may impart some protection to the kidney following reperfusion of the renal allograft. Finally, when administered early in the course of acute renal failure (ARF), mannitol tends to flush out cellular debris and prevent tubular cast formation. These actions may convert a patient from oliguric ARF to nonoliguric ARF. A randomized study of hydration with mannitol vs. hydration without mannitol in cadaveric renal transplant demonstrated a significant reduction in postoperative acute tubular necrosis in patients treated with mannitol. However, 3 months after transplantation no difference was found in kidney function. The commonly used dose of mannitol for renal protection is 12.5 to 25 grams. It has become common practice to give mannitol, as well as adequate volume expansion with crystalloid prior to vessel clamp in order to decrease postoperative ATN. The studies cited are all limited, i.e. retrospective, single-center, and/or small number of patients.

http://www.openanesthesia.org/ABA:Renal_transplant_-_mannitol

Members don't see this ad :)
Fast surgeons are better than mannitol, so at my practice the only people who bring up the topic are folks new from training programs.

Reactions: 1 users

Low risk at those dose ranges (12.5-25g), potential benefit.

Fast surgeons are better than mannitol, so at my practice the only people who bring up the topic are folks new from training programs.
We only give it if the surgeon asks for it. The better ones don't. The ones that take all day for endo AAAs do.

The problem is that even if it's low risk it interferes with urine output and volume status assessment : once they start peeing water you loose track a little

do it. cheap. little to no s/e. may have benefit. happy surgeon/crna as they feel they are "doing something."

ABA:Renal transplant - mannitol

The use of mannitol as a protective agent during renal transplantation stems from its ability to increase renal blood flow. This is thought to be due to the release of intrarenal vasodilating prostaglandins and atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP

Sources
PubMed

R Lauzurica, J Teixidó, A Serra, P Torguet, J Bonet, J Bonal, M Borrás, R Romero, A Caralps
Hydration and mannitol reduce the need for dialysis in cadaveric kidney transplant recipients treated with CyA.
Transplant. Proc.: 1992, 24(1);46-7
[PubMed:1539337] [WorldCat.org] (P p)

I Porras, J M Gonzalez-Posada, M Losada, A Jordano, V Lorenzo, F Gonzalez-Miranda, F Santolaria, A Torres
A multivariate analysis of the risk factors for posttransplant renal failure: beneficial effect of a flush solution with mannitol.
Transplant. Proc.: 1992, 24(1);52-3
[PubMed:1539340] [WorldCat.org] (P p)

K F Richards, L P Belnap, W V Rees, L E Stevens
Mannitol reduces ATN in cadaveric allografts.
Transplant. Proc.: 1989, 21(1 Pt 2);1228-9
[PubMed:2496491] [WorldCat.org] (P p)

R G Tiggeler, J H Berden, A J Hoitsma, R A Koene
Prevention of acute tubular necrosis in cadaveric kidney transplantation by the combined use of mannitol and moderate hydration.
Ann. Surg.: 1985, 201(2);246-51
[PubMed:3918517] [WorldCat.org] (P p)

P L van Valenberg, A J Hoitsma, R G Tiggeler, J H Berden, H J van Lier, R A Koene
Mannitol as an indispensable constituent of an intraoperative hydration protocol for the prevention of acute renal failure after renal cadaveric transplantation.
Transplantation: 1987, 44(6);784-8
[PubMed:3122381] [WorldCat.org] (P p)

Keyword history
Percentage correct 54%
Year asked 2008
Percentage correct 54%
Year asked 2011
Suggest a change
Suggest a change for this keyword

Conclusions
Intravascular administration of mannitol does not convey additional beneficial effects beyond adequate hydration in the patients at increased risk of AKI. For contrast-induced nephropathy, the use of mannitol is even detrimental. Further research evaluating the efficiency of mannitol infusions in the recipients of renal allograft should be undertaken.

Published: January 14, 2014

Conclusions
Intravascular administration of mannitol does not convey additional beneficial effects beyond adequate hydration in the patients at increased risk of AKI. For contrast-induced nephropathy, the use of mannitol is even detrimental. Further research evaluating the efficiency of mannitol infusions in the recipients of renal allograft should be undertaken.

Published: January 14, 2014

Mannitol has some peer reviewed evidence behind it. Yes, it is controversial and many don't use it. But, like many things we do there are some studies showing benefit and some showing no benefit. By no means am I convinced of its effectiveness but with adequate hydration (that's the key) it may be beneficial in certain situations.

Br J Surg. 1996 Sep;83(9):1230-3.
Randomized controlled trial of the effect of mannitol on renalreperfusion injury during aortic aneurysm surgery.
Nicholson ML1, Baker DM, Hopkinson BR, Wenham PW.
Author information

Abstract
The effects of mannitol on renal impairment following infrarenal aortic aneurysm repair were studied. Patients received either mannitol 0.3 g/kg (n = 15) or saline (n = 13) as a rapid intravenous infusion before aortic cross-clamping. One patient in the control group developed fatal postoperative renal failure but there was no renal failure in the mannitol group. Two patients treated with mannitol died from perioperative myocardial infarction. There were no significant differences in postoperative blood urea level, serum creatinine concentration or creatinine clearance between mannitol and control groups. In patients who had mannitol there was a significant diuresis on the first day after operation (mean urine output 2250 ml) compared with before operation (1557 ml) (P = 0.007). Compared with controls, patients treated with mannitol had lower mean (s.e.m.) postoperative levels of urinary albumin (160(32) versus 500(140) mg per mmol creatinine; P = 0.036) and N-acetyl glucosaminidase (143(34) versus 271(70) mumol per mmol creatinine; P = 0.04) indicating a reduced level of subclinical glomerular and renal tubular damage. These data demonstrate that mannitol reduces subclinical renal injury following infrarenal aortic aneurysm repair.

We only give it if the surgeon asks for it. The better ones don't. The ones that take all day for endo AAAs do.

We agree here. What matters most are clamp time and adequate hydration. Mannitol is a poor substitute for surgical skill.

In an open AAA there is literally a cross clamp.

For emergency endovascular AAA the balloon acts a cross clamp.

Last edited:
Mannitol, loop diuretics, and dopamine are used clinically in an attempt to preserve renal function during aortic surgery. Significant controversy exists regarding the use of these agents as well as the mechanisms by which they may offer a protective effect. Despite studies demonstrating little or no benefit,[247] [248] [249] [250] it is widely believed that renal protection before aortic cross-clamping is beneficial and therefore many clinicians administer these drugs.

http://www.noranaes.org/logbook/res...sthesia 6th Ed/das/book/body/0/1255/1539.html

In other words, it's f***ing voodoo.