Mapping out the liver panel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnetrocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are nice ways to graphically record CBC's (X) and basics/chem7's:

____|____|____/
____|____|____\

But I haven't been able to figure out a consistent map for the liver panel (in other words, the "comprehensive" part of a comp). Any good links?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, after your CBC/CMP panels you just write out AST, ALT, GGT, Bili...otherwise no one will know what you are talking about.

labs.jpg

No place for the Mg, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only problem with the LFT grid is that a good number of people dont use it. I have found more confusion with that than anything else.

I stick to the CBC, coags and BMP. I write everything else.

if you put a liver panel grid on your soap note, every day someone will ask you what it is, and what goes where. easier to just write out the pretinent info.

I have never used the LFT tree and have never seen it used in my state though I have seen it used in other states BUT with the forked end on the bottom. Locally we use an "E" shaped tree for the iCal, Mag, and Phos next to the chem 7 tree to round out the chem 10.

So this goes to show my lack of savy graphic knowledge.... but they way we do things at my hospital for LFTs is we make an X and fill out the info in the four compartments. For Ca, Mg, Ph we make a Y. I just assumed everyone used this notation, it makes things so much easier!

...........\Total/
.... AST \Bili/ ALT
............/Alk\
........../ Phos\

........ \Ca2+/
..........\ ..../
.............|
......Mg | Phos
.............|

P.S. Ignore all the .......'s, i couldn't get it to center correctly without them

JPHazelton said:
I stick to the CBC, coags and BMP. I write everything else.

Me too.

soysauz said:
So this goes to show my lack of savy graphic knowledge.... but they way we do things at my hospital for LFTs is we make an X and fill out the info in the four compartments. For Ca, Mg, Ph we make a Y. I just assumed everyone used this notation, it makes things so much easier!

...........\Total/
.... AST \Bili/ ALT
............/Alk\
........../ Phos\

........ \Ca2+/
..........\ ..../
.............|
......Mg | Phos
.............|

P.S. Ignore all the .......'s, i couldn't get it to center correctly without them

I've never seen either of those trees. Over here, we use the "E" for Ca/Mg/Phos. The X for the liver panel leaves out protein, albumin, and whatever else I'm forgetting...

sdnetrocks said:
I've never seen either of those trees. Over here, we use the "E" for Ca/Mg/Phos. The X for the liver panel leaves out protein, albumin, and whatever else I'm forgetting...

Our local hospitals only use iCal, when I went OOS was surprised to see regular calcium and had to think a bit about how to interpret it.

Here we do

- Ca
l
- Mg
l
- Phos

Instead of having Ca and phos with the liver panel (the liver panel figure is the same execpt without Ca and phos ... they get their own figure)

but, I am not sure any figure for ca, mg, phos and corrected ca

Add a triangle on the left of the LFT tree to make a spot for the Mg.

Most people look at the computer to check labs anyway, so most people don't care how you write the LFTs.
There will never be a universal format, since some people include the direct bili, some include LDH, and others include GGT.