March 16th Match Email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cormac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to physician only advanced programs with a July 2015 start date, and advanced programs with a July 2016 start date. If I matched when I receive the email on Monday will I be able to tell which year I matched for or not?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to physician only advanced programs with a July 2015 start date, and advanced programs with a July 2016 start date. If I matched when I receive the email on Monday will I be able to tell which year I matched for or not?
Yes. I think.

If you match an advanced (A) program but NOT a prelim, it will say you are partially matched and give you the opportunity to SOAP for a prelim. Obviously if you've already done an intern year, you won't need to. In addition, you will be able to call the NRMP and find out what city you matched in (because you are partially matched)

If you match a program that starts the same year (an R program), I believe it will say you were fully matched, rather than partially matched, and you will not be allowed to SOAP.

="Raryn, post: 16272063, member: 201009" In addition, you will be able to call the NRMP and find out what city you matched in (because you are partially matched)

Is this true? If I match to an advanced spot on Monday, NRMP will say that I'm partially matched, and tell me what city I matched in for my advanced position? That's incredible.

Last edited:
Is this true? I accepted a preliminary position outside of the match so, obviously, I did not rank any prelim programs that I interviewed. If I match to an advanced spot on Monday, NRMP will say that I'm partially matched, and tell me what city I matched in for my advanced position? That's incredible.
This may or may not be true for your specific case. But it doesn't hurt to find out. This semi-official policy is intended for people in couples matches where one person doesn't match, or people who match advanced but don't MATCH prelim. They'll be able to see that you didn't rank prelim and may not hook you up. But they might.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this true? If I match to an advanced spot on Monday, NRMP will say that I'm partially matched, and tell me what city I matched in for my advanced position? That's incredible.
Yea if you call and ask they tell you the city.

Reactions: 1 user
This is excellent information and as an advanced applicant with an internship under my belt, I'll be employing this tactic if I match.

Reactions: 1 user
In addition, you will be able to call the NRMP and find out what city you matched in (because you are partially matched)
Thanks! that's awesome I had no idea.... it's not applicable to me, but still really cool to know that the NRMP has a fragment of soul in there somewhere ;)

It just says I matched.

Thanks! that's awesome I had no idea.... it's not applicable to me, but still really cool to know that the NRMP has a fragment of soul in there somewhere ;)

BTW. The above information was UNTRUE about partial matchers being able to call NRMP for location. I asked the question in the NRMP Chat and they said to call NRMP and they would give me the location. I called NRMP and they said "Heavens, no...we can only give the location of your partner in the couples match if you don't match."

Looks like I will have to wait until Friday with everyone else.

BTW. The above information was UNTRUE about partial matchers being able to call NRMP for location. I asked the question in the NRMP Chat and they said to call NRMP and they would give me the location. I called NRMP and they said "Heavens, no...we can only give the location of your partner in the couples match if you don't match."

Looks like I will have to wait until Friday with everyone else.
Strange. Try calling again, I definitely know people who have partially matched have been told the location before. Unless it was changed this year of course...

Strange. Try calling again, I definitely know people who have partially matched have been told the location before. Unless it was changed this year of course...

I'll wait...the lady on the other end kind of scared me. LOL