Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if that becomes due immediately if you are accepted after that date... Yikes. Lol

MU-COM follows AACOMAS traffic guidelines, so it depends on when the offer of admission is made.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

Volumes 4 and 5 of the DO Series has been posted in the portal for admitted and deposited students.

Admissions

I'm on the waitlist and decided to take MCAT over again last week April 5 to perhaps raise that score. The results don't come back until May 5. I'm now wondering if Marian will have already made their final decisions by then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the waitlist and decided to take MCAT over again last week April 5 to perhaps raise that score. The results don't come back until May 5. I'm now wondering if Marian will have already made their final decisions by then.

Will they even consider new MCAT scores? I thought January date was the last one.

Oh well, if they don't and I don't get in this time around I'm all set for next year with hopefully a higher score.

Last edited:

For applicants who remain on the alternate list, MU-COM will consider MCAT scores beyond the January test date. Since AACOMAS will be closed by then, you will need to send your scores directly to us. We do not accept screen shots or score reports from applicants. We only accept scores that we verify. To assist us, send us your AAMC ID and verification code once your score is released. The verification code is a 16 digit alphanumeric string.

Admissions

Last edited:
Despite not actually having a medical library, will students still have access to online medical databases? Since the school is working so closely/has a good relationship with Indiana University, will it be possible for us to have access to the resources in their medical library (sometimes it is really nice/helpful to just be able to browse medical books that we won't likely have access to.)?

Out of curiosity, did anyone from any of the four mid-March interview dates get acceptances? Its interesting that no one posted good news since then. :thinking:

Out of curiosity, did anyone from any of the four mid-March interview dates get acceptances? Its interesting that no one posted good news since then. :thinking:

I wouldn't be surprised if the acceptance rate goes a bit south in the last few interview weeks as does with most schools. But I'm sure they'll get a few acceptances.

I interviewed March 28th I believe and I wasn't accepted. Pretty shocked considering I thought the MMI went extremely well and my stats were exactly on point with their average matriculant. *shrug*

Despite not actually having a medical library, will students still have access to online medical databases? Since the school is working so closely/has a good relationship with Indiana University, will it be possible for us to have access to the resources in their medical library (sometimes it is really nice/helpful to just be able to browse medical books that we won't likely have access to.)?
We have access to extensive digital medical libraries/databases--Access Medicine, Clinical Key etc. They have also provided us with log in codes to various reference apps that you can put on your digital devices. You will have access to more than enough reference material from what is provided by MU-COM. I have no information regarding IU's medical library.

We have access to extensive digital medical libraries/databases--Access Medicine, Clinical Key etc. They have also provided us with log in codes to various reference apps that you can put on your digital devices. You will have access to more than enough reference material from what is provided by MU-COM. I have no information regarding IU's medical library.

Thanks for the response!
I tend to do better when I can browse a couple of books and flip through them to quickly find what a need. Yes, I know everyone is moving to paperless, but I'm just not quite there yet. haha. Also, people keep mentioning that MUCOM doesn't have a ton of study space on campus (even including the undergrad library).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response!
I tend to do better when I can browse a couple of books and flip through them to quickly find what a need. Yes, I know everyone is moving to paperless, but I'm just not quite there yet. haha. Also, people keep mentioning that MUCOM doesn't have a ton of study space on campus (even including the undergrad library).

Thanks!

I think Buddy complained that there aren't enough study rooms. I mean I think most people will study at home tho.

I interviewed much much earlier in the season and had the exact same experience. Don't sweat it. We simply weren't the students they were looking for this year.

I interviewed March 28th I believe and I wasn't accepted. Pretty shocked considering I thought the MMI went extremely well and my stats were exactly on point with their average matriculant. *shrug*

I interviewed much much earlier in the season and had the exact same experience. Don't sweat it. We simply weren't the students they were looking for this year.

Their admissions process is mysterious in many ways. Admittedly the school this year really was taping either people who were Indi favorable or high states. That or both.

Reactions: 1 user
Their admissions process is mysterious in many ways. Admittedly the school this year really was taping either people who were Indi favorable or high states. That or both.

MUCOM operates the most open and accessible admissions process I've encountered. It's clear you're perplexed regarding your status on the alternate list, but please don't project your feelings as gospel. There's nothing mysterious about it - they offer admission to applicants they feel will fit best. The people who run the admissions department are just that - people. Dissecting every aspect of your application and making constant comparisons to the prospective students of the next fall class will bring you nothing but stress. Focus on becoming the most genuine, interesting, and qualified applicant you can, and stop worrying about if you have exactly whatever it is you think they're looking for. And please, stop giving advice without the experience to back it up.

Reactions: 1 users
MUCOM operates the most open and accessible admissions process I've encountered. It's clear you're perplexed regarding your status on the alternate list, but please don't project your feelings as gospel. There's nothing mysterious about it - they offer admission to applicants they feel will fit best. The people who run the admissions department are just that - people. Dissecting every aspect of your application and making constant comparisons to the prospective students of the next fall class will bring you nothing but stress. Focus on becoming the most genuine, interesting, and qualified applicant you can, and stop worrying about if you have exactly whatever it is you think they're looking for. And please, stop giving advice without the experience to back it up.

I mean, that's your opinion. And no? I find their application process mysterious because out of the people I know I'm the only one who actually got any reply back. And this also includes people on here and who I met during this cycle.
Obviously they accept many people with a particular goal in mind. But it can be confusing for those who aren't exactly a clear cut fit.

Tata now.

Last edited:
Similar experience as you. I had good numbers and was invited from California. I thought the MMI went okay, but I thought waitlist was a possible scenario. I got plainly rejected. The only thing that bothered me was the vagueness of their feedback. It made question all the stuff they said during the interview. It's more like "we are so open and welcoming, but not if we're not interested anymore." Definitely no hard feelings though. They seem to offer a great education, but wasn't for me and I'm headed to a school I would have picked over theirs.

Last edited:
I mean, that's your opinion. And no? I find their application process mysterious because out of the people I know I'm the only one who actually got any reply back. And this also includes people on here and who I met during this cycle.
Obviously they accept many people with a particular goal in mind. But it can be confusing for those who aren't exactly a clear cut fit.

Tata now.

MU-COM exceeds the requirements for disclosure under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. While emails are overlooked from time to time, MU-COM regularly offers feedback by contacting the director at [email protected].

Admissions

MU-COM exceeds the requirements for disclosure under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. While emails are overlooked from time to time, MU-COM regularly offers feedback by contacting the director at [email protected].

Admissions

Right, I don't doubt that at all. I'm not calling MUCOM's commitment to keeping up and helping applicants, and I have felt very well informed. That entire response was literally nothing more than me replying to someone's serious response to a general and non-serious response.

I actually think MUCOM does a great job especially since we have such a direct relationship a person who work behind the scenes with the school. But yah, I have had only amazing experiences with this school.

Last edited:

As discussed during the Interview Day, MU-COM seeks the "most highly admissible" applicants, which is a combination of cognitive and non-cognitive skills. The perception that we are only offering admission to those with ties to Indy or with high stats is inaccurate. With more applications, though, one can expect competition to increase from year to year.

MU-COM

As discussed during the Interview Day, MU-COM seeks the "most highly admissible" applicants, which is a combination of cognitive and non-cognitive skills. The perception that we are only offering admission to those with ties to Indy or with high stats is inaccurate. With more applications, though, one can expect competition to increase from year to year.

MU-COM

That's good to hear. Thanks for the information.

MU-COM
:claps:

Admissions
Let's keep it real, you don't actually give good feedback. Vague stuff like "it was your body language" without clarifying what about it is purely useless. The same goes with your waitlist and the useless fact that a week later you go from top alternative to bottom without informing you. It would be significantly better if you simply didn't give any feedback than to pretend openness and really just give smoke screens. It insults the candidate.

Now you can see what real feedback is.

Edit: I've been informed that TOS doesn't allow me to mention a specific person. That is okay. We all know who I was talking about.

Last edited:
Well then...On a positive note, I reconfirmed my placement on the alternate list!!! I would like to say that I am personally very pleased with your process MU-COM and I have had a great experience thus far. Although a spot in the class of 2018 would make the experience better! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Well then...On a positive note, I reconfirmed my placement on the alternate list!!! I would like to say that I am personally very pleased with your process MU-COM and I have had a great experience thus far. Although a spot in the class of 2018 would make the experience better! ;)

Agreed.

I actually never got feedback concerning my interview. I had emailed a couple times but no reply. I was honestly curious as to what my MMI score was and what factors led to my rejection.

I actually never got feedback concerning my interview. I had emailed a couple times but no reply. I was honestly curious as to what my MMI score was and what factors led to my rejection.
They specifically notified us at the end of the interview day that our scores for the MMI would not be distributed. I understand that most applicants are number nuts and we all want to quantify every aspect of our application, but we will never be satisfied until we get accepted. I say this as an applicant that has been on the alternate list for 6 months, and I just resigned my acceptance for staying on the list.

They specifically notified us at the end of the interview day that our scores for the MMI would not be distributed. I understand that most applicants are number nuts and we all want to quantify every aspect of our application, but we will never be satisfied until we get accepted. I say this as an applicant that has been on the alternate list for 6 months, and I just resigned my acceptance for staying on the list.

I don't think DO have a May 1st. As long as you pay your deposit you're fine. Or are you going to skip on paying a deposit?

I don't think DO have a May 1st. As long as you pay your deposit you're fine. Or are you going to skip on paying a deposit?
Sorry it is late and I didn't proof read. I meant that I received the email today to clarify if I wanted to stay on the alternate list, and I signed the form on the portal this evening stating that I wanted to remain on the list.

Sorry it is late and I didn't proof read. I meant that I received the email today to clarify if I wanted to stay on the alternate list, and I signed the form on the portal this evening stating that I wanted to remain on the list.

Good luck.

Let's keep it real, you don't actually give good feedback. Vague stuff like "it was your body language" without clarifying what about it is purely useless. The same goes with your waitlist and the useless fact that a week later you go from top alternative to bottom without informing you. It would be significantly better if you simply didn't give any feedback than to pretend openness and really just give smoke screens. It insults the candidate.

Now you can see what real feedback is.

Edit: I've been informed that TOS doesn't allow me to mention a specific person. That is okay. We all know who I was talking about.
Poor form. That is the sort of thing that is immediate grounds for dismissal from any medical school.

I believe we were told the opposite.

They specifically notified us at the end of the interview day that our scores for the MMI would not be distributed.

I've been accepted and will be attending school, but, we will be having similar interviews in a couple of years for residency and information regarding your interview skills is beneficial! It's all data to help you improve in the future.

Sorry I meant if this weren't anoymous and you said that to a medical school your application would likely no longer be considered.
I don't think so. Speaking against the status quo is protected by freedom of speech. If a school dismissed students based on that , they could face litigation.

You might think it's unprofessional, but that's another story.

Wait, you gave up an acceptance to stay on the wait list for another?

Edit: They make you sign a wait list acceptance form?

I don't think so. Speaking against the status quo is protected by freedom of speech. If a school dismissed students based on that , they could face litigation.

I think feedback is welcomed by many schools. Even MUCOM happily asked you to have people who felt like something wrong to email Dr.Moody the same is stated by others.

So I don't think it's exactly unprofessional. But you should probably be nice about voicing concerns. That way everyone benefits.

Wait, you gave up an acceptance to stay on the wait list for another?

Edit: They make you sign a wait list acceptance form?

No, I think she meant to say she's just staying on the waitlist as opposed to rejecting it. Which is fair if you believe the waitlist option may be a better choice for you.

Let's be real here... you are hoping to enter into a career where professionalism is HIGHLY important. Just because you have the freedom to say something does not mean you should. It is so important to remember that anything you put in writing can follow you throughout your career. Please choose your words carefully in the future.

Aaaaanyways, I'm a current first year (almost second!) and am happy to talk to any prospective / already accepted students about any questions you may have! And PLEASE don't ask me what my stats were (they were average) because it should be very clear from reading this forum that MUCOM is interested in so much more than that!

I think feedback is welcomed by many schools. Even MUCOM happily asked you to have people who felt like something wrong to email Dr.Moody the same is stated by others.

So I don't think it's exactly unprofessional. But you should probably be nice about voicing concerns. That way everyone benefits.
You make a good point. I tend to be too blunt on online forums.

I would like to say thank you to all in the admissions department. I reconfirmed my interest in the alternate list yesterday and truly hope that after many years of hard work that this is the year my dream of acceptance to medical school comes true.

I would like to say thank you to all in the admissions department. I reconfirmed my interest in the alternate list yesterday and truly hope that after many years of hard work that this is the year my dream of acceptance to medical school comes true.
I hope you do as well! Best of luck to you. We shall wait for a spot together. :)