Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks MU-COM. Glad to be part of the Class of 2018! Will they start calling next week then?

Yes, calls will be made next week.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't get off today do you think that your changes of getting off are very low? Or do we still have a solid shot?

Also are all the portal modifications complete today? Or will more people be getting their portal changed later today?

Today's decisions are done.

Admissions

Was there anyone accepted off the 2nd quartile last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was there anyone accepted off the 2nd quartile last year?

I think so. But with people not knowing their waitlist position they might not have been second quartile when accepted.

Are we able to change our white coats in case they are not the perfect fit at the ceremony?

Are we able to change our white coats in case they are not the perfect fit at the ceremony?

Please use the instructions provided on the white coat website, which will help estimate the right size for the best fit. Nonetheless, a limited number of white coats will be available for exchanges.

MU-COM

Will the waitlist be reviewed tomorrow or, now that the 1st has passed, will it only be reviewed as required throughout the summer to fill gaps?

Will the waitlist be reviewed tomorrow or, now that the 1st has passed, will it only be reviewed as required throughout the summer to fill gaps?

It will not. The admissions committee has started making offers to applicants on the alternate list. The committee will continue to do so, as seats come available, through August. Applicants will remain on the alternate list until they are admitted, rejected, or no longer interested in MU-COM. According to our policy, no other information is shared.

Admissions

Is it correct to say that MU-COM has filled the class and that at this time their are no longer seats available? However , if someone would drop out and a seat would become available then admissions would look at the alternate list.

Last edited:
Is it correct to say that MU-COM has filled the class and that at this time their are no longer seats available? However , if someone would drop out and a seat would become available then admissions would look at the alternate list.

Since recent admits have 2 weeks to make a decision (per traffic guidelines), we can't answer this question.

MU-COM

Haven't checked this thread in a long time. Anyone know if it's too late to apply for on campus housing?

Does MU-COM have a cut off for individual sections of the MCAT?

On their website it says begin being competitive at 24, but is that 8/8/8 minimum?

Haven't checked this thread in a long time. Anyone know if it's too late to apply for on campus housing?

As of Volume 5 of the DO Series, there were six (6) spaces left in on-campus housing for medical students. The spaces are in New Hall. If interested, contact the MU Housing Office by email at [email protected] or by phone at 317.955.6318.

MU-COM

P.S. Always check the portal first for the most up-to-date info on just about any topic.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does MU-COM have a cut off for individual sections of the MCAT?

On their website it says begin being competitive at 24, but is that 8/8/8 minimum?

There are no minimums to apply. The current statement on the website is accurate, but realize that criteria change from year to year and admission is highly competitive. Finally, the MCAT is just one factor considered in the review process.

Admissions

Hi MUCOM,

I had enrolled for my last pre-requisite coursework for Spring 2014 - Unfortunately, the school cancelled the class for spring.
So I enrolled for that last pre-req coursework in Summer 2014 - But the course is going to be completed only by August 10th. I know that MUCOM class starts the first week of August. I also know that all pre-reqs should be done prior to matriculation.

Will this affect my admissions acceptance? Is there something which you can do to help me out ?

Thanks You

Hi MUCOM,

I had enrolled for my last pre-requisite coursework for Spring 2014 - Unfortunately, the school cancelled the class for spring.
So I enrolled for that last pre-req coursework in Summer 2014 - But the course is going to be completed only by August 10th. I know that MUCOM class starts the first week of August. I also know that all pre-reqs should be done prior to matriculation.

Will this affect my admissions acceptance? Is there something which you can do to help me out ?

Thanks You
You should email Bryan directly for this issue. Besides the obvious problem of needing to be in two places at once, the info MUCOM has given us states all requirements must be met by July 15. Perhaps they would make an exception, but I'm certain that can't happen without you contacting them other than via an anonymous forum like SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi MUCOM,

Thanks You
Like others have mentioned, this is a question you should ask Bryan directly. I fell into a similar scenario and contacted him and he was very understanding but luckily I was able to resolve the issue. Contact the office of enrollment management for the proper course of action.

Hi MUCOM,

Thanks You
It was canceled for spring but you are just asking about it now?

Reactions: 1 users
^ I was going to say the same, but didnt want to be mean.

You should have called them long ago, if they rescind your application, it will be your own fault. They will likely be nice though, thank your lucky stars!

^ I was going to say the same, but didnt want to be mean.

You should have called them long ago, if they rescind your application, it will be your own fault. They will likely be nice though, thank your lucky stars!

Well...I did register for Summer 1 - which was supposed to be over by July 1st week - again, the school cancelled off the class because they did not have enough students enrolled - I received an email about the cancellation this afternoon ! That's he reason why did not have to check on this when the same situation happened in Spring ! So I don't consider it be under my control or my fault per say.

The only other option I have now is to register for Summer long class which as I said ends by August 10th !

But, Thanks all for the response - I will check with Bryan - and would be nice if MUCOM responds here as well - Might be helpful for people who might be in similar situation (in case !)

Well...I did register for Summer 1 - which was supposed to be over by July 1st week - again, the school cancelled off the class because they did not have enough students enrolled - I received an email about the cancellation this afternoon ! That's he reason why did not have to check on this when the same situation happened in Spring ! So I don't consider it be under my control or my fault per say.

The only other option I have now is to register for Summer long class which as I said ends by August 10th !

But, Thanks all for the response - I will check with Bryan - and would be nice if MUCOM responds here as well - Might be helpful for people who might be in similar situation (in case !)
Which class are you missing? You might want to consider other ways to complete it. If may not be as cheap but it will keep you from losing a spot in the class. UNECOM offers many of the prerequisite courses online http://www.une.edu/com/online/

I know, I know. All the waitlisters are groaning over my post right now.

Pending that the prerequisite isn't physics 2. It may work with an enormous time investment. That being said the courses are designed/ recommended to be 16 weeks long with probably some work it could be reduced, but I don't really imagine it being halved. The courses start June 4th and even with 8 weeks that'll still be about Early August.

It's a pickle to be in tbh especially when classes start Aug 11th and orientation is on the 6th?

Pending that the prerequisite isn't physics 2. It may work with an enormous time investment. That being said the courses are designed/ recommended to be 16 weeks long with probably some work it could be reduced, but I don't really imagine it being halved. The courses start June 4th and even with 8 weeks that'll still be about Early August.

It's a pickle to be in tbh especially when classes start Aug 11th and orientation is on the 6th?

I completed Gen Chem I & II with UNECOM in two months in 2012. It was rough.

Orientation is Aug 4-6. First day of classes is Aug 7.

Hi MUCOM,

Thanks You

All remaining Conditions of Acceptance and Enrollment are to be completed by July 15th. While there is a little flexibility with this date, your admission can be cancelled if the conditions are not completed by the start of orientation on August 4th. For this reason, you are encouraged to discuss this matter directly with Bryan.

Admissions

If an applicant applies with a low MCAT, and is rejected pre-interview due to the the MCAT, would the application be reviewed again with a new MCAT score?

If an applicant applies with a low MCAT, and is rejected pre-interview due to the the MCAT, would the application be reviewed again with a new MCAT score?

No. Once a final decision is rendered, MU-COM does not go back and review applications again.

If you plan to retake the MCAT after submitting your primary application, indicate your future test date in the "Planned MCAT" section. If the rest of your application is competitive, your application could be placed on hold until the new score arrives.

Admissions

After much deliberation, I have decided to decline my offer of admission which means that at least one more person will be pulled from the alternate list! Wishing you the best of luck @serenade and @anonymousme and anyone else on the alternate list!!! ;)

After much deliberation, I have decided to decline my offer of admission which means that at least one more person will be pulled from the alternate list! Wishing you the best of luck @serenade and @anonymousme and anyone else on the alternate list!!! ;)

I see. I wish you best! Keep in touch! :)

Hello MUCOM,

I saw some responses above speaking about some online science courses offered by Univ. of New England. Does MUCOM accept such online science course (lecture and virtual lab) like for O.Chem/Physics etc ?

Thanks!

Hello MUCOM,

I saw some responses above speaking about some online science courses offered by Univ. of New England. Does MUCOM accept such online science course (lecture and virtual lab) like for O.Chem/Physics etc ?

Thanks!
http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/admissions/requirements-for-admission

Regional Accreditation
UNE is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and College, Inc., a regional accrediting body recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. The University has been continuously accredited since 1966 and its accreditation was last reaffirmed in 2007. (from UNE's website)

After much deliberation, I have decided to decline my offer of admission whichmeans that at least one more person will be pulled from the alternate list! Wishing you the best of luck @serenade and @anonymousme and anyone else on the alternate list!!! ;)
Thank you my friend. I would also like to wish you the best of luck as well. I still hope to meet up for lunch next time I am in Illinois or if you are ever out east (Or in Indianapolis....[fingers crossed])

Last edited:
Hello MUCOM,

Thanks!
I am sure you will get a response from MU COM but I have an email from Dan in admissions stating that "UNE-COM is an excellent option for online course work. Regardless of classroom or online, it's important to do well in the courses and on the MCAT."

The only school I have heard from that will absolutely not accept any online coursework is NYIT.

Hello MUCOM,

Thanks!

Coursework must be completed at an institution that is accredited by a regional accreditation body recognized by the United States Department of Education. You must earn a grade of C or better.

Admissions

I meant for the waitlist haha.

Offers will be made, as seats come available, through August. More info is in our May 7th SDN post and in an email sent to all alternate list candidates on May 8.

MU-COM

Offers will be made, as seats come available, through August. More info is in our May 7th SDN post and in an email sent to all alternate list candidates on May 8.

MU-COM

Alright, thank you!

Hello MUCOM,

Thanks!

I'm a first year at MUCOM - I was one unit short of Ochem and took the course over the summer (virtual lab) through UNECOM online without any problems with the course or with getting it approved. Hope that helps.

I'm a first year at MUCOM - I was one unit short of Ochem and took the course over the summer (virtual lab) through UNECOM online without any problems with the course or with getting it approved. Hope that helps.

would you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks a lot :)