Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I greatly appreciate how active you have been in this forum, MU-COM. This level of attention to prospective students sheds great light on the effort you'll make to ensure students at MU-COM are successful. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

Is it safe to assume that most Alternate List movement took place in May, then? I realize there will be flux throughout the summer, but just to get a general sense.

Thank you, again, for your continued effort to keep us informed.

Members don't see this ad.

I greatly appreciate how active you have been in this forum, MU-COM. This level of attention to prospective students sheds great light on the effort you'll make to ensure students at MU-COM are successful. It hasn't gone unnoticed.

Is it safe to assume that most Alternate List movement took place in May, then? I realize there will be flux throughout the summer, but just to get a general sense.

Thank you, again, for your continued effort to keep us informed.

At this point, the class is full but movement will continue over the summer as deposited students withdraw to accept an offer from another medical school.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, the class is full but movement will continue over the summer as deposited students withdraw to accept an offer from another medical school.

Admissions

Hello Admissions,

I had a question about the Biochemistry requirement required for the subsequent application cycles.

Do we need to have a lab with Biochem?

Also, does it matter what the level of the course is as far as a 200 level vs a 300? Can it even be in the 100 levels and/or for non science majors?

Thank you

Hello, I am thinking about applying to this school, but I have not taken any sociology classes. I have all the other stated course requirements. For behavioral sciences I have two courses of psychology and two of anthropology. Will either satisfy the sociology requirement.

Responses about prerequisites for the entering class of 2015 have been made on the 2014-2015 thread.

Admissions

Volume 7 of the DO Series is in the portal for admitted and deposited students. Topics include:
  • Conditions Update
  • Meaningful Medicine Mentoring Program
  • Orientation
  • White Coat Ceremony
  • Name Changes
  • Curriculum Update
  • Registration Information
  • Semester Bills
  • Financial Aid Checklist
  • MU-COM Scholarship (for Indiana residents)
  • Textbook Information
  • iPad
  • Student Health Insurance
  • Summer Preparation Ideas
  • Services for Students with Disabilities
  • Housing
  • Faculty Profiles (for new hires)
  • The Power of Doing
  • In the News
  • Student Organization Roundup ... and more!
Admissions

Hey guys, just a quick question for one of the current students. Is the Ipad you get from Marian already pre-progammed with certain software (special apps or something)? Or is it just a plain new ipad?

Thank youu!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, just a quick question for one of the current students. Is the Ipad you get from Marian already pre-progammed with certain software (special apps or something)? Or is it just a plain new ipad?

Thank youu!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The iPad comes with standard out-of-the box apps pre-loaded. During orientation, you will download and set-up other applications for textbooks, lecture capture, learning management software, and more.

Admissions

Reactions: 3 users
Marian is partnered with hospitals throughout the state of Indiana, but what can be said of hospitals in areas like Jasper, IN? Can these small hospitals really provide the patient volume for valuable learning experiences? Will these hospitals only serve to provide the Rural/underserved part of the rotations? Will the required rotations be in the greater Indianapolis area, such as St. V's and St. Francis?

Last edited:
Do any of the current students or MU-COM know what the approximate cost will be for all the diagnostic supplies/tools/scrub kit?

Do any of the current students or MU-COM know what the approximate cost will be for all the diagnostic supplies/tools/scrub kit?

The cost of attendance (see the "Tuition and Fees" document in Volume 4 of the DO Series) includes $1,200 for diagnostic supplies.
  • The total cost last year was between $900-$1000.
  • As we finish negotiating the bundle price for this year, we expect it to be lower than last year. All OMS1 students will be required to purchase from the same vendor, though, unlike last year.
Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
The cost of attendance (see the "Tuition and Fees" document in Volume 4 of the DO Series) includes $1,200 for diagnostic supplies.
  • The total cost last year was between $900-$1000.
  • As we finish negotiating the bundle price for this year, we expect it to be lower than last year. All OMS1 students will be required to purchase from the same vendor, though, unlike last year.
Admissions

I'm assuming everything required for OPP and Anatomy will be included in this bundle? Also will there be the need for additional diagnostic supplies in upper years or is everything for next 4 years included in the bundle? Thanks!

I'm assuming everything required for OPP and Anatomy will be included in this bundle? Also will there be the need for additional diagnostic supplies in upper years or is everything for next 4 years included in the bundle? Thanks!

There could be two separate bundles to purchase depending on the vendor(s) selected. The intent is to include everything for all 4 years, but this is not guaranteed.

MU-COM

The DO Class of 2018 OMS1 orientation schedule was emailed today.

Admissions

Attachments

• DO Class of 2018_OMS1 Orientation Schedule.pdf
    249.4 KB · Views: 126
Has anyone here received any positive news from alternate list movement lately? I know time is running out but I am still very hopeful of joining the class of 2018....I love this school :)

Has anyone here received any positive news from alternate list movement lately? I know time is running out but I am still very hopeful of joining the class of 2018....I love this school :)

MU-COM continues to admit from the alternate list as seats come available.

Admissions

The list of required diagnostic supplies for the DO Class of 2018 was emailed today.

Admissions

Attachments

• DO Class of 2018_Required Diagnostic Supplies.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
Hey guys! I interviewed here last cycle and would be happy to answer any questions regarding interview day. Good luck, everyone!
Congratulations!!! What tips can you provide for the interview? How are the MMI questions, was it more medically related or situational type and how we would respond to certain social situations? Im so nervous!!!!

Congratulations!!! What tips can you provide for the interview? How are the MMI questions, was it more medically related or situational type and how we would respond to certain social situations? Im so nervous!!!!

On Interview Day, there is a presentation that reviews the MMI concept and how it works at MU-COM.

Admissions

Does MU-COM release what "quartile" you are in?

We don't release that information. Sorry.
You will stay on the alternate list until you are either admitted, rejected, or no longer interested in MU-COM.

Admissions

@MU COM if the class is full, anyone interviewing after this point will be going for a spot on the waitlist than?

@MU COM if the class is full, anyone interviewing after this point will be going for a spot on the waitlist than?

As posted before, MU-COM's class is not full. We do not fill the class then continue interviewing. As long as we are interviewing, there are seats available in our class of 162. Interview last through mid-April.

Primary App Deadline: March 1
Supplemental App Deadline: April 1
Materials Deadline: April 3

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
I just interviewed here this weekend despite having an acceptance elsewhere. I really liked what I saw and would gladly go here over where my current acceptance is. Here's hoping for some good news.

^Wrong thread for the current application friends.