Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First of all, CONGRATS on your II-- very exciting! :)

Like you, I was initially nervous about the MMI format. So to prepare for last weekend's interview, I watched videos, practiced with loved ones (i.e., I drove them crazy), read a medical ethics book, and so on. In the end, over-preparing was counter-productive because it made me extremely nervous-- which in turn led me to over-think all of my prompts and occasionally ramble like a buffoon.

In the end, I had no reason to be nervous because the majority of the interviewers were friendly, and the prompts were interesting, but not too difficult. Even though I think that my nerves may have negatively impacted my performance (I guess I'll find out in the next 1-8 days... Not that I'm counting...ha), I enjoyed the experience nevertheless. Even though MMIs are standardized evaluations, the overall tone of the 'assessments' were more like having 'office hours' conversations with your favorite college professors. They want you to feel comfortable because they want to get to know the 'real' you. Remember— you're interviewing MU-COM as much as they're interviewing you, so they want you to succeed and have as pleasant of an experience as possible.

The best advice I can give you is to prepare in whatever way that'll give you the most confidence. If reading a million articles and practicing with others gives you confidence, then go for it. If just YouTubing a couple of videos and reading your application over a few times does the trick, then do that. Personally, if I could do it all over again, I would have put in far more time reflecting on my application and life experiences to integrate into my answers rather than reading the ins-and-outs of every conceivable 'category' of MMI topic. The point of an MMI is that you can't prepare for every scenario, so what you really need is confidence and some familiarity with the format (and just in case you don't have the latter, they do provide a brief MMI presentation beforehand).

I know it's easier said than done, but just try to relax and have as much fun as possible while putting your best foot forward. You will have a great experience, I promise! Good luck! :)

Thank you so much for your kind words. It truly is wonderful to have supports from someone who is also going through the same things. Though, I was wondering whether any of you know the acceptance rate after recieving an interview. I hope it is good number.

Members don't see this ad.

According to MU-COM's 'DO Class of 2018' profile, last year they accepted 313 out of the 628 students that they had interviewed (49.8%). Of which, 162 students enrolled (so 51.7% of accepted applicants ended up matriculating, or put in another way, 25.7% of interviewees ended up matriculating). At the interview, they provide further detail regarding acceptance statistics and the application process. Good luck preparing... You'll do great!

FYI, the class profile may be found under "Resources" at: http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/prospective-student .

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Conditions of Acceptance and Enrollment have been added to the portal for admitted students.

MU-COM

Does anyone know of any services to get from the airport to my hotel and then from the hotel to the school?

Accepted! So relieved that I got in somewhere this early. Now to cancel those interviews at Seton Hill and Campbell...

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! So relieved that I got in somewhere this early. Now to cancel those interviews at Seton Hill and Campbell...

Congrats on the acceptance! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the acceptance! :)
Thanks so much! Like I mentioned before, I really loved the school and its overall vibe. For those of you who are nervous about interviewing, just relax. I've been to 3 interviews now, and this school by far had the nicest interviewers. The MMI wasn't that hard and the interviewers did not 'grill' me on anything, they just wanted to know my opinion on the MMI scenario and the reasons why I had that opinion.

The faculty/staff here are super nice as well! I remember on the day of the interview my cab dropped me off on the wrong side of campus and while I was walking towards the medical building, one of the interviewers came up to me and offered me a ride to the building! I don't think the staff at other schools would be so nice to a random interviewee they've never met.

Also the one on one station for the interview is nothing to worry about. The interviewer only knows your name, major, and undergrad college so they will not 'grill' you on your application. Rather it felt like we were having an informal conversation to get to know one another (similar to getting a cup of coffee with a friend!) Good luck to future interviewers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else reply to the earlier interview email? was wondering if anyone received confirmation on that yet?

There are additional interview times this weekend (Fri 10/17 and Sat 10/18). If anyone would like an earlier interview time, please contact Bryan at [email protected]. The spaces are first-come, first-serve.

Admissions

@MU COM I was wondering, are you releasing IIs this week? If so, around what date are you planning to release them? Thanks!

@MU COM I was wondering, are you releasing IIs this week? If so, around what date are you planning to release them? Thanks!

Initial interview decisions are released on Fridays. Periodically we release them throughout the week.

Admissions

Any Marian student want to tell why they picked it and what they like /dislike? How we're the first set of boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
@MU COM I sent in my application about 2 weeks ago with my 3 letters- two science (since I don't have an advisor) and physician, just received an email calling my application incomplete because my advisor space is incomplete. What do I do?

@MU COM I sent in my application about 2 weeks ago with my 3 letters- two science (since I don't have an advisor) and physician, just received an email calling my application incomplete because my advisor space is incomplete. What do I do?

If you believe you received the message in error, please email us at [email protected] or call 317.955.6297.

Admissions

Interviewed 10/3, Accepted 10/10!

Really impressed with Marian's facilities and plan. This school way up my list after interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else renting a car have tips to get the best price in indianapolis? The fees here are much more steep than the last city I interviewed at .

Super shuttle from the airport to downtown is also pretty costly too..

Not to pry, but any update on the alternate list?

@MUCOM

Anyone else renting a car have tips to get the best price in indianapolis? The fees here are much more steep than the last city I interviewed at .

Super shuttle from the airport to downtown is also pretty costly too..

Congrats on the II! Idk what prices you were quoted, but my SO, who arrived a day after me, asked around at the airport, and got a shared ride with a private group to a hotel near Lucas Oil for $7. Although my SO had a great experience, I wouldn't recommend getting a ride from random strangers.

I took a $10 shuttle to-and-from the airport and downtown through IndyGo Green (you can either book in advance or get it at the airport). IndyGo Green didn't stop by my hotel (Candlewood), so my hotel picked me up for $5. On interview day, a cab cost me $10+tip to MUCOM, then $15+tip from MUCOM to Lucas Oil. So in total, I paid $50+tip in transportation.

You can probably get a one-day rental car for less (esp. if you're over 25 and using sites like Hotwire-- I just saw they have a deal starting at $10 plus $15 in fees, so prob around $40-$50 after everything else), but since I was staying the weekend, I didn't want to bother with a 3-day car rental (overnight parking is really expensive in downtown).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Congrats on the II! Idk what prices you were quoted, but my SO, who arrived a day after me, asked around at the airport, and got a shared ride with a private group to a hotel near Lucas Oil for $7. Although my SO had a great experience, I wouldn't recommend getting a ride from random strangers.

I took a $10 shuttle to-and-from the airport and downtown through IndyGo Green (you can either book in advance or get it at the airport). IndyGo Green didn't stop by my hotel (Candlewood), so my hotel picked me up for $5. On interview day, a cab cost me $10+tip to MUCOM, then $15+tip from MUCOM to Lucas Oil. So in total, I paid $50+tip in transportation.

You can probably get a one-day rental car for less (esp. if you're over 25 and using sites like Hotwire-- I just saw they have a deal starting at $10 plus $15 in fees, so prob around $40-$50 after everything else), but since I was staying the weekend, I didn't want to bother with a 3-day car rental (overnight parking is really expensive in downtown).

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks Gumbi, I ended up just biting the bullet on a car rental. That way have more freedom to check out surrounding neighbourhoods and more freedom. Really looking forward to MU-COM, I have been following it closely and like what I see!

My fate is to be sealed this afternoon :scared:

As mentioned during the interview day, we don't comment on the current year while it is ongoing. Applicants who accept the alternate list will remain on there until one of three things happen: admission, rejection, or withdrawal.

MU-COM

Alternate list. Declining the slot, hoping that the rest of you have good luck today!

Alternate, that's kind of a downer. Makes me a bit nervous for decisions at more established schools. I guess I'll see what happens.

According to status check list in portal, it says that my application is complete. But I haven't received an email if my file is complete or not. Should I be worried?

Also, if you are on hold.. do you get email from the admission office that you are on hold?

Thank you

According to status check list in portal, it says that my application is complete. But I haven't received an email if my file is complete or not. Should I be worried?

Also, if you are on hold.. do you get email from the admission office that you are on hold?

Thank you
No, you shouldn't be worried. Yes, you get an email if you're on hold. They're very approachable, so just call or email Admissions directly if you have questions.

Thank you

No need to worry. There can be a day or so delay before you are assigned to a screener. When that is done, you get the official file complete email.

Admissions

ACCEPTED!!!:soexcited: Interviewed 10/10. That was super fast turn around! I'm going to be a Doctor!!!

Alternate listed...I wonder if anyone from the list ever gets in? Osteohack10, why decline? If there's a one in a million chance, it's still a chance. This was my top choice, so I'm going to wait and hope. Good luck to everyone else and congrats to those who got in.
I liked Marian and I think they are doing big things. I'm sitting on 3 acceptances, one from my first choice. Rather than take up space on the alternate list I'm ready to put down a deposit and start planning my cross country move!

Big congrats to all accepted, it's a huge accomplishment and relief!

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!!:soexcited: Interviewed 10/10. That was super fast turn around! I'm going to be a Doctor!!!
Congrats on the acceptance!!! I just received mine as well so hopefully we'll be classmates!!!!
:highfive:

I couldn't be any more thrilled as MU-COM is my unequivocal top choice. Do you or anyone else know if there is a Facebook group for the incoming class? I cannot wait to move to Indy and become a doctor... It's been a long, long, loooong road!

Congrats again and good luck to everyone else applying! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on the acceptance!!! I just received mine as well so hopefully we'll be classmates!!!!
:highfive:

I couldn't be any more thrilled as MU-COM is my unequivocal top choice. Do you or anyone else know if there is a Facebook group for the incoming class? I cannot wait to move to Indy and become a doctor... It's been a long, long, loooong road!

Congrats again and good luck to everyone else applying! :)

Each class at MU-COM makes their own Facebook group. When created, please post the link here and send to Bryan at [email protected]. The admissions office will share with all future admits.

Admissions

I've gotten several requests for advice on the MMI; some people are so bold as to ask for the MMI prompts outright. Please see this post from MU-COM earlier this cycle:
While sharing the supplemental questions is not prohibited, it is discouraged. Likewise, in the spirit of full disclosure, it is unacceptable to share interview questions.

MU-COM
The purpose of the interview format is to test how one responds to various personal or professional dilemmas without advance preparation. It's a chance for the school to examine how one thinks, not how well one researches and delivers a script. One should be capable of maintaining a conversation at this point in their academic career.

I'm happy to entertain virtually any other question regarding the school, my decision to attend, or the nature of my multiple application cycles. Additionally, I live near campus and am at the school with some frequency, so I can field questions about the area as well. But please, stop asking me for the MMI prompts, and don't ask others. Just relax and enjoy your interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spent the day touring Indianapolis and the Marian campus. I am in love and I think this is now my top choice. Already interviewed at KCUMB and Western-Pomona, and while western would be much closer to home, indianapolis just feels right!

Excited to see some of you at the interview tomorrow!!

BTW for those driving, don't confuse the hospital buildings and centres in the area right before you reach the corner where the actual Marian campus is. It looks like a campus itself too, and I may or may not have mistook it for MU!

Rejected pre-interview :( Good luck everyone.

Sorry to hear that, definitely reach out to them if its one of your top choices to see what you can improve on for next year. It is most likely academics that held you back for them, they emphasized that by being offered an interview meant that they were comfortable you would pass the boards and medical school. It seemed to be a key metric, in addition to everything else that makes you "you" in your primary application.

Just got back into town after my interview at Marian on Friday. The interview day was absolutely awesome. I could not find a single negative thing to say about the university. The facilities are incredible and the resources they have available for students are stunning. All my concerns of Marian being a new medical school were completely put to rest after the experience. I am completely impressed with the school and it is definitely now my top choice for OOS.

Reactions: 3 users
Back in July, Admissions stated faculty were reviewing the post-exam process (review, or lack thereof). Can any current students comment on the development of this issue? It still seems odd Marian doesn't allow students to review their exams.

Back in July, Admissions stated faculty were reviewing the post-exam process (review, or lack thereof). Can any current students comment on the development of this issue? It still seems odd Marian doesn't allow students to review their exams.

From the Chair of the Curriculum Committee:

"All exams at MU-COM are electronic utilizing the ExamSoft software. The order of questions and answers is completely randomized for each student. ExamSoft does not have a mechanism to regenerate the exact exam that each student took once that exam is submitted. This creates difficulties in providing itemized question review for our students.

To overcome these limitations, and to facilitate greater learning, we utilize what ExamSoft does well to provide extensive feedback to each student on every question they take. Each question is tagged to a lecture objective, subject, lecturer, discipline, NBOME competency, COMLEX objective, Blooms taxonomy, lecture number, and keywords from that lecture. When test results are given back to students, a document with question information is provided. From this document, students have access to all the information listed for each question on the test, and they can than identify which areas they performed well on and which areas were weaker. It also lists how students performed in each area of Bloom’s taxonomy.

Additionally, faculty have begun having test review sessions after each exam. This allows faculty to identify general areas of weakness and address them to the entire class. Finally, on a regular basis, ExamSoft information across courses is summarized to let students identify areas of strength and weaknesses from system to system.

Faculty at MU-COM believe this is a more dynamic and circumspect process for students to facilitate their medical education. By stepping back away from each individual question and looking at overall trends across the curriculum, students are being provided with important information about strengths and weakness that can guide them for future study and board preparation."

Hope this helps,
MU-COM

Reactions: 2 users
The fact that MU-COM continually provides feedback and responses is a testament to how well they are setting themselves up as an institution. Kudos!

From the Chair of the Curriculum Committee:

"All exams at MU-COM are electronic utilizing the ExamSoft software. The order of questions and answers is completely randomized for each student. ExamSoft does not have a mechanism to regenerate the exact exam that each student took once that exam is submitted. This creates difficulties in providing itemized question review for our students.

To overcome these limitations, and to facilitate greater learning, we utilize what ExamSoft does well to provide extensive feedback to each student on every question they take. Each question is tagged to a lecture objective, subject, lecturer, discipline, NBOME competency, COMLEX objective, Blooms taxonomy, lecture number, and keywords from that lecture. When test results are given back to students, a document with question information is provided. From this document, students have access to all the information listed for each question on the test, and they can than identify which areas they performed well on and which areas were weaker. It also lists how students performed in each area of Bloom’s taxonomy.

Additionally, faculty have begun having test review sessions after each exam. This allows faculty to identify general areas of weakness and address them to the entire class. Finally, on a regular basis, ExamSoft information across courses is summarized to let students identify areas of strength and weaknesses from system to system.

Faculty at MU-COM believe this is a more dynamic and circumspect process for students to facilitate their medical education. By stepping back away from each individual question and looking at overall trends across the curriculum, students are being provided with important information about strengths and weakness that can guide them for future study and board preparation."

Hope this helps,
MU-COM
It does. Thank you.

Hold interview decisions have been released a day early this week.

Admissions